Newfies Afloat

Tempest

Just out of interest high water at Cantley was 6.27pm and you can see from the previous photos how the quay heading had been breached

This is something we were expecting as the Aweigh App was showing a high tide of 1.49metres

This morning high tide at Cantley was at 7.13am and the Aweigh App was showing a high tide of 1.29 metres

I was able to step off with ease this morning to walk the dogs as there was plenty of Quay heading above the water level

We are off now heading towards Reedham, before going down the cut towards Somerleyton and onwards towards Beccles and tide allowing Geldeston

• Like 1

The weather hasn't been the best today, but as always we make the most of it

We set off from Cantley around 9am and made our way to Reedham Quay for a water top up and the BA attendant came for a chat and complimented our mooring which was nice.

The only learning point being I tied the bow rope to a ring and not a post and he said the rings along this quay are for when the tide overtops the quay heading because if you tie to a post it can lift the ropes up and off the top of the post releasing the boat if not tied correctly so the rings help to prevent that.

I never knew that!

Interestingly whilst at Reedcutter last night a large green Dutch barge came away from its bow mooring and was at 90 degrees to the quay when the owner with some help managed to get her re-secured.

We left Reedham, down the Cut, past Somerleyton which was open as we passed at around 12.15 and now we are on the Waveney in the direction of the River Centre

Roof is up, but it is getting brighter and we are hopeful of a better afternoon and evening

• Like 2

We are moored at the visitor mooring which is more like a wild mooring at Geldeston as we have a table booked tonight at the Wherry Geldeston, but it hasn't stopped us having a stroll to the Locks Inn

The dogs obviously needed the exercise!! 

DSC_0143.thumb.JPG.767b528185a09dc6ee675560a404e619.JPG

DSC_0144.thumb.JPG.ff68784a4bcbacdee6d25e4e4d564706.JPG

DSC_0145.thumb.JPG.854884ebe769444ba8a3b1f37de7f47a.JPG

DSC_0147.thumb.JPG.a6cae8010a6e87aa84e1f9fc79d13fff.JPG

DSC_0146.JPG

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Glad to hear you are going to the Wherry as well as the Locks. I did wonder how they would fare once the Locks was in community ownership. Hope there's enough trade to support both pubs. 

There is a family on the table next to us at the Locks Inn (which currently doesn't serve food Monday and Tuesday evening) who rang the Wherry to book a meal this evening and where told they are full, so I think they are doing fine 

• Like 2

Just a point of note, if you do make you way here you might miss the visitor mooring sign which has seen better days

DSC_0155.thumb.JPG.de1b469488620aa77657027274d15d0b.JPG

But the trip is most definitely worth it as we slept like logs and the sounds of the wildlife awakening is so relaxing 

There are some grey clouds, but it's currently dry and you can see the blue as the cloud starts to break up

DSC_0156.thumb.JPG.6165600fe2952c966609752ec3af633c.JPG

DSC_0157.thumb.JPG.98a0c31d6a06f52e25c6186d77f1633f.JPG

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Tempest said:

The weather hasn't been the best today, but as always we make the most of it

We set off from Cantley around 9am and made our way to Reedham Quay for a water top up and the BA attendant came for a chat and complimented our mooring which was nice.

The only learning point being I tied the bow rope to a ring and not a post and he said the rings along this quay are for when the tide overtops the quay heading because if you tie to a post it can lift the ropes up and off the top of the post releasing the boat if not tied correctly so the rings help to prevent that.

I never knew that!

Interestingly whilst at Reedcutter last night a large green Dutch barge came away from its bow mooring and was at 90 degrees to the quay when the owner with some help managed to get her re-secured.

We left Reedham, down the Cut, past Somerleyton which was open as we passed at around 12.15 and now we are on the Waveney in the direction of the River Centre

Roof is up, but it is getting brighter and we are hopeful of a better afternoon and evening

That particular high tide was a one off in the sequence & probably a combination of wind, tide & atmospheric pressure

• Thanks 1

We set off from the Geldeston visitor mooring to the Locks Inn BA moorings at around 10am and as we took it very slow we were moored up around 1040 took the dogs for a walk and now we are having tea and coffee at the Locks Inn which opens at 11am

DSC_0158.thumb.JPG.be5ffbdeaa1311138228591feb1369ef.JPG

• Like 2

On 16/08/2021 at 18:32, YnysMon said:

I get the impression that the Cantley mooring seem a bit low compared to others on the Yare. Whenever the river levels seem a bit high they seem to be awash. Not that we’ve yet stopped there overnight.

There was a one off high tide Monday probably a combination of wind tide & atmospheric pressure it was almost up to the steps by the Rangers Hut at Reedham

We made our way to Beccles Quay passing through the bridge around 1.30pm when it was showing around 8ft

Really traumatic evening as a fellow boater lost there dog tonight who fell into the water and didn't resurface

My son jumped in, but it was too late and the dog was lost

Please don't reply with comments about what you should or shouldn't do with dogs, as it's not the time or the place

Suffice to say my son , all of us and no doubt the family affected are deeply impacted by tonight's events

Awful end to a wonderful day 

Our thoughts are with the family directly affected by this tragedy x

• Sad 5

Up and about early this morning with the thoughts of the previous night still forefront in our minds 

Just taking a timeout overlooking the yacht station at Beccles with Roxy and Yogi

Oulton Broad is our destination today as we have booked the mooring on the external side of the pontoon which faces the race course 

DSC_0159.thumb.JPG.69876fdf3d43764288ad28b2ae88a18e.JPG

DSC_0161.thumb.JPG.1bf9bc80e4ce6054b9f187d30596e92e.JPG

DSC_0160.thumb.JPG.d6deda86bb94ab9ab7bbbb72b989e39f.JPG

• Like 3

1 hour ago, grendel said:

If you haven't already arrived, give me a toot when you go past, I am just upstream of the WRC.

Sorry, we must have passed earlier or we would have given you a toot

Our view now...alongside Petersjoy..

Cant believe they thought we were from Yorkshire!!

DSC_0162.thumb.JPG.fffcc16cb28a6bd962e4236ddd77364a.JPG

DSC_0163.thumb.JPG.8e669dc89982a55b31633c7e3c8e641a.JPG

DSC_0164.thumb.JPG.0637d436467d9c749a13c7d56ae719bc.JPG

DSC_0165.thumb.JPG.7cfa9946243d0b88c7fdfe0be66f4c92.JPG

DSCPDC_0001_BURST20210819172756467_COVER.thumb.JPG.8edbd79eaf4f830a1fdfdf2be2594c1c.JPG

DSCPDC_0000_BURST20210819172756467.JPG

• Like 2

Wonderful evening last night topped off by a Chinese from the Magic Wok and this morning a sausage butty for Mike and I, a bacon butty for April and an egg butty for Julie from the "No 142 cafe"

Mike's response "that is a 10 out of 10 sausage sandwich"

We all highly recommend this cafe which opens for breakfast and serves take away or eat in

Today we will be heading back to Brundall to refuel, pump out and clean MS before our last night in the Yare