Newfies Afloat

Tempest

19 hours ago, Tempest said:

Cant believe they thought we were from Yorkshire!!

That was Elaine :default_icon_rolleyes:. Had a great evening next to you guys, Couldn't belive it when Paul came and asked if i wouldn't mind moving to the outside of the pontoon, prime spot for the powerboat racing, normally have to book that weeks in advance.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, petersjoy said:

That was Elaine :default_icon_rolleyes:. Had a great evening next to you guys, Couldn't belive it when Paul came and asked if i wouldn't mind moving to the outside of the pontoon, prime spot for the powerboat racing, normally have to book that weeks in advance.

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story..... 😂🤣

We have just left Langley Dyke as we head to Brooms for a pump out and refuel, then I am off to John Hurrell and sons (https://www.johnhurrellandsonsltd.co.uk/ ) who have kindly set aside a 6Kg bottle of propane to replace the empty one on board

Gas is hard to come by at the moment!

Well the bottled stuff! 😳

Then it's cleaning duties and a quiet evening in the Yare to ready ourselves for the journey home tomorrow

Thoroughly enjoyed the evening and especially Elaine's rendition of "nnnnnn nnnnn nnnnnn nineteen" every time he sped past.... 🚤 🤣

Take care and hope to see you on your travels again soon

On 17/08/2021 at 12:47, Tempest said:

The only learning point being I tied the bow rope to a ring and not a post and he said the rings along this quay are for when the tide overtops the quay heading because if you tie to a post it can lift the ropes up and off the top of the post releasing the boat if not tied correctly so the rings help to prevent that.

I never knew that!

Neither did I.

If the state of the tide is such that the tide overlaps the quay heading you cannot see the edge of the quay heading, and is therefore dangerous and the quay attendant should have advised you of this. How do you tie up a boat, to the post, correctly to prevent the rope lifting off the top of the post. How do you manage to see the ring under say 12 inches of muddy water and tie off securely. Finally beware of a thin layer of slippery mud under the water lying on the quay heading

I have never heard of ropes lifting from a post but presumably it can and does happen. Are you sure it was a quay attendant?  he would have been wearing a shirt with Broads Authority logo.

Andrew

• Like 1

Just for information

I have just refueled at Brooms and was charged £1.42 a litre with 30.06 litres costing £42.69

Pump outs £18.00 each (X2)

Water refill £3.00

I also arranged to collect a 6Kg propane bottle replacement from John Hurrell and sons who kindly took the order over the phone and kept the bottle aside for my collection at a cost of £26

(John Hurrell and sons are near to the Surlingham Ferry House

https://www.johnhurrellandsonsltd.co.uk/ )

27 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Thanks for the hint about John Hurrell & Sons. They weren’t listed on the Calor site when we were desperately trying to find a gas supplier back in July.

No worries Helen

They were great to be fair as even put it aside for us

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tempest said:

Just for information

I have just refueled at Brooms and was charged £1.42 a litre with 30.06 litres costing £42.69

Water refill £3.00

Looks like Brooms are funding the new fuel kiosk through their prices.  If I remember  correctly, pump outs were £18 for one and £23 for two last year and £3 for water is a bit strong too.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Mouldy said:
3 hours ago, Tempest said:

Just for information

Water refill £3.00

Expand  

Looks like Brooms are funding the new fuel kiosk through their prices.  If I remember  correctly, pump outs were £18 for one and £23 for two last year and £3 for water is a bit strong too.

Totally agree 👍

I don’t think we paid anything for water top up in early July. Graham paid for the fuel and pump out, so I might be wrong, but it sounds to me like there’s been a big hike in prices. It’s not that long since we were only paying something like £13 per pump out. 

We used to pop into Brooms for water early in the morning before they opened up and got going. Not possible now as the water hose is under lock and key. Also, Brooms changed their opening times yet again a couple of months ago and are now open 10.00 - 1700 daily. So no going for an early fill up or empty out any more. 
Pumpouts have been £18 for a single tank for the last couple of years at least. 

35 minutes ago, annv said:

They are trying to prove that the yard is not profitable so they can turn site into up market flats, they only have a few workers/ management now . . . . . . . .

Especially if the planning permission doesn’t get granted for the ‘floating apartments.’

We had a few drinks and food in the Yare at Brundall last night and were tucked up for 9.30pm 

Up early, walked the dogs and did the last bit of tidying up before hitting the road around 7am

We had one short stop on the A1 northbound and got home around 11.20am after a very memorable 10 day break, many miles covered and new friends and adventures had

No 2 visits to the Norfolk Broads are the same and it's always sad to leave...but we will be back again soon...

As for Roxy and Yogi.....they are currently fast asleep with the odd leg twitching as they appear to be back in Norfolk already in their dreams.....

• Like 6

• 3 months later...

Well today we head back to Norfolk.....

Ok..

We tried and failed!

Got up this morning to be informed the M62 was shut over the Pennines

"Google" said head towards Hyde and across to Sheffield and cut out the M62 joining the A1 around Sheffield/Barnsley area

So we set off at 7am, it was a bit breezy, but otherwise fine until we got on the A roads to cross the Pennines

Informed Woodhead and Snake pass closed and then we came to a standstill as traffic chaos ensued!

Trucks and cars everywhere struggling to move

"Google" then said turn left and head over the Old Road...

I need to stop listening to "Google"

IMG-20211127-WA0001.thumb.jpg.bd674d5115ce7b33c38a042a46c467ff.jpg

This was what the road looked like as we climbed

So as soon as we got to a suitable turning area we spun round and started the journey back home

IMG-20211127-WA0002.thumb.jpg.78bfa598b46081e679a8738a815661fd.jpg

A guy in a BMW 4x4 you can see in the picture had flown into Manchester from Saudi Arabia this morning and was trying to get home, but also turned round and will now look for a stop off point before trying to get home in Yorkshire

Our Newfies Roxy and Yogi are very confused, but we are back home now and will give it another try on Monday

Stay safe everyone

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

How disappointing but glad to know you’ve got back home safely. We had rain earlier here which cleared into sunshine for a while. But it’s clouded up and the forecast is for a chilly wet afternoon and evening. Better luck for Monday. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, YnysMon said:

Very disappointing Warren. Hope you have better luck on Monday and that the weather behaves itself for the rest of your fortnight. (I think you said you had a fortnight?)

Thanks Helen

Yes we are on her for a fortnight and plan to set off early Monday so should be with MS well before lunch for a good first full day 

We still hope to go north as the tides are favourable, but it's no huge issue if we are unable

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Jbx5 said:

Oh dear Warren I am doing the opposite journey tomorrow Salhouse to Manchester via Sheffield so hope they have sorted at least the main roads out !  No snow here in Norfolk but windy and raining.

John

John,

Hopefully the roads will be clear. The M62 is back open and my son drove to York this afternoon across the Pennines as he was refereeing York City in the FA trophy and got there OK.

It was just "a perfect storm" this morning which made travelling East impossible.

My advice is to stay to the main roads and if need be take plenty breaks

Safe journey 

• Like 1

To be honest, Warren, you’re probably better off at home tonight.  We’ve not long returned from Norfolk Lady, where we went earlier to reset the thermostats on the engine bay heaters and turned the dehumidifier on.

The tide this afternoon is very high and with over two hours to go until high water, it wasn’t far off overtopping at the marina.

Have a safe journey on Monday and enjoy your time afloat!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mouldy said:

Have a safe journey on Monday and enjoy your time afloat!

Cheers Malcolm

It was that bad, it was actually frightening as I was getting concerned for the Mrs and the dogs and I was just glad to get home

Just about defrosted, so will give it a second try on Monday

• Like 1

This time we made it!

But not without more mishaps..

Stopped in a traffic queue on the A1 just after leaving the M62 and "bang" as we are rammed from behind.... 🙈🙈

I immediately got out and the woman in the offending car was shaking like a life!

The front end of her Ford Focus looked a bit of a mess and although my old Range Rover has a few more dents, the boot still opens and the dogs and Julie and I were fine, so we swapped details and I told the woman not to worry..it's only a piece of metal on wheels and after making sure everyone was ok, we set off again, although Julie did ask whether we should just go home!

But on arrival the mood changed within seconds and that's why we love visiting Norfolk.

Huge thanks also to our fellow syndicate members who left me a few beers.... (I think they are for me! 🤞😉)

DSCPDC_0003_BURST20211129111517144_COVER.thumb.JPG.5a0474e808048ca0bb8816633c53b23e.JPG

And Julie some flowers!

DSC_0240.thumb.JPG.64ffdad6ecf8a2ee05a10b13019ec5b5.JPG

Moonlight Shadow was in great condition and the weather was glorious

DSC_0241.thumb.JPG.945959c8cf438fc5ff27195b8fc2b9fc.JPG

DSC_0242.thumb.JPG.18c871100c956a7b1a2f4aa166b5e551.JPG

IMG-20211129-WA0004.thumb.jpg.34d1fe7326593534095ae2264e96cabd.jpg

We left our mooring and headed down river towards Reedham and you could feel the stresses and strains of the past few days ebb away..

DSC_0243.thumb.JPG.1ac5645a10ae5cc93fc997ffbcdf58c2.JPG

DSC_0245.thumb.JPG.ad5981cb28b3d0788b527cc6de2f62e3.JPG

DSC_0246.thumb.JPG.0ef156bc6d1344d8744426765278320c.JPG

DSC_0247.thumb.JPG.e89ecd1270148fb2ab53199a0c519839.JPG

• Like 7