One For Vaughan

LizG

1 hour ago, w-album said:

I've just started following the Thames Traditional Boat Festival on FB. This picture was just posted!

LizFB_IMG_1584211174822.jpeg

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

You are looking at the work of Ron Wem. He has a superb fleet of probably 30 broads cruisers models and is someone I am trying to get to bring a display to the Beccles Wooden Boat Show.  

Check out his work at 

https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/Modellers/Ron_Wem/1ndex.htm

• Like 3

9 hours ago, JanetAnne said:

Astounding detail!

If you enlarge the bottom photo of the King of Hearts on this link, he has correctly modelled the playing card on the stem head and amazingly, the fact that the flagstaff was inserted into an old valve spring, so it would bend over if it hit Thorpe bridge on a high tide. All of the boats had their flagstaffs arranged so that they were one inch higher than the saloon canopy when lowered. So if the flag touched the bridge, you backed out and waited for the tide to go down!

• Like 5

Thanks for the spin Chris B, I hope this one is the right way up, same yard but different builder! I love Vaughan’s comment about the old valve spring, reminds me of my dads ski boat having an Austin bonnet badge on the tip of the foredeck as a nod to the raw water cooled clutch only bmc 

12 hours ago, ChrisB said:

Spun for you.

mini engine hidden under the cowling midships with vents made from old brass munition shells. No such thing as a throw away society back in the days of my youth and before!

413969CE-1D12-4B8E-A49C-1668A7A90803.jpeg

• Like 3