Help Please

ExSurveyor

IMG_20200416_164656.thumb.jpg.3ab7c0d30ae481029b36dec86535ac8a.jpgI am stumped,

Any ideas what this is officially called,

And

Where can I get some from.

The trim is aluminum, 30mm wide and the insert is 12mm. It appears to have been red originally but has faded to mucky white.

Ideally I only want the insert as the trim is rivetted on.

Thanks.

7 minutes ago, psychicsurveyor said:

Bats have never had a good press.

Nothing wrong with bats as long as they are left in the trees and caves instead of being taken to a wet market or served on a plate.

Which they weren`t in this case. No bats were found in the wet market infact the nearest bat was several hundreds of Km away however there were two research labs very close to the market.

12 hours ago, riverman said:

Any pliable plastic pipe will do. Boat yards use underground water pipe

The pipe that Riverman mentions is used ONLY where there is a flange to put the pipe over. The pipe in question is something like 8mm thick walled and an absolute bitch it handle. It was commonly used on Bounty and Alpha boats where the flange was part of the moulding of the hull and superstructer with each part forming half of the flange. 

It cannot be used on something without a flange unless you drill and screw it on which would make this little run about look like a bumper car but worse, it won't take any shock and will pop off of the screws when hit. 

It works on cruisers because the pipe is split and is pushed over the flange. This enables the pipe to compress around the split when it comes under pressure. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, psychicsurveyor said:

I have got a sample coming from Wilks, blimey it is expensive.

Oh yes! Let me give you an idea. I had to replace the rubber around the back of Absolute Freedom recently. 11 metres aprox and about £400. The cost to redo a 35ft around just the top section was about £1300 last year plus a week's worth of work to fit it. 

• Sad 2

14 minutes ago, FreedomBoatingHols said:

The pipe that Riverman mentions is used ONLY where there is a flange to put the pipe over. The pipe in question is something like 8mm thick walled and an absolute bitch it handle. It was commonly used on Bounty and Alpha boats where the flange was part of the moulding of the hull and superstructer with each part forming half of the flange. 

It cannot be used on something without a flange unless you drill and screw it on which would make this little run about look like a bumper car but worse, it won't take any shock and will pop off of the screws when hit. 

It works on cruisers because the pipe is split and is pushed over the flange. This enables the pipe to compress around the split when it comes under pressure. 

Like this?

Rubbe strate 2.jpg

1 minute ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Like this?

Like this?

Rubbe strate 2.jpg

yes, That has some kind of stopper in it. 

If that blunt end gets stuck on something an the boat pulls forward, it's likely to rip the section off the flange. It's a absolute bitch to handle to put back on. Really needs heating to make it pliable. I used to see LeBoat wacking it with large rubber mallets like sledgehammers to force it open and pop back over. Obviously, you need a lot of space, a really good footing and quite some balls to do it to your own boat.