Gods Own Country, Or Is It?

• unclemike changed the title to Gods Own Country, Or Is It?

Hands off Halifax!  I was brought up there (near Wainstalls) and it was a great place to live. The local council is doing a great deal to develop tourism and I read somewhere that Calderdale now has more visitors per annum than Stratford upon Avon. Yes, it has its bad areas and there always was a lot of drunkenness and fighting on weekend evenings, but the town centre has managed to keep much of its Georgian and Victorian grandeur and is still vibrant, compared to a lot of the towns in the south where I live now. The folks there have a very unusual sense of humour, which can be glimpsed in locally based TV programmes such as Last Tango, Happy Valley and Gentleman Jack, so I can only imagine that they are talking their town down to minimise the influx of Southerners, Lancastrians and other tourist riff-raff .  Now if you want to see a real sh*te-hole, try Bradford, Huddersfield or Keighley. :default_smiley-taunt014:

4 hours ago, chameleon said:

in the national poll of the 10 worst places to live  in the uk 6 were in yorkshire, ...

I was born in Yorkshire yonks ago, leaving (=being taken away) for Cheshire when I was 5.
I read through these 10 "worst places".  Did I really consider returning to the UK at one stage?

Note: whenever my wife & I visit the UK we really enjoy it - the last time in April 2019 where we stayed a few nights
in Keswick & then Buxton. Great until our disasterous encounter with the security folks at Manchester Airport on
departure (a combination of really unhelpful people & their computer system crashing causing a holdup that
meant we missed our return flight AND they refuse to accept responsibility for it).

17 minutes ago, vanessan said:

Nowt wrong with Keighley! 

We used to live at Steeton, we did our weekly shopping in Keighley and both our kids were born at Airedale hospital, but the only good things about Keighley were i: the road to Halifax ii: the Keighley and Worth Valley railway and iii: the fact that most namby-pamby newsreaders and the like could never pronounce the name. I gather it has gone downhill big-time since we left there for Skipton in 1983. 

16 minutes ago, SteveO said:

We used to live at Steeton, we did our weekly shopping in Keighley and both our kids were born at Airedale hospital, but the only good things about Keighley were i: the road to Halifax ii: the Keighley and Worth Valley railway and iii: the fact that most namby-pamby newsreaders and the like could never pronounce the name. I gather it has gone downhill big-time since we left there for Skipton in 1983. 

Still say there’s nowt wrong with Keighley!

• Like 1