Rear View Camera

I found the 12v AUTO-VOX M1W Wireless Reversing Camera on Amazon, it was on "Special Offer" last month and I paid £46 with free postage. As it says it's a wireless setup but the camera itself is connected by wire to a small transmitter, I fixed the camera above the back door and wired the transmitter into a 12v ceiling light switch just inside the back door, (I put in a small in line on/off switch so I could turn off when I needed to), then I simply hid the wiring from view, this took me around 45mins to do (inbetween an odd beer). To set up the viewing screen you simply place it where you want it and it is powered via plugging into a charging(cigarette) socket which I have on the helm console, you can still use the charge socket as the supplied plug also has a built in USB socket, then all you had to do was switch on the camera/transmitter and hey presto you have a rear view screen. It gives a good clear 170° full colour view and is particularly handy for reversing into a mooring or for seeing who or what is approaching from either side to the rear, it will be useful if someone is overtaking you or in the case of the pesky dayboats - undertaking you!

ps.....not sure if the video will work, I filmed it with my phone and there are no lines on the actual screen it was very clear.

20200525_200505.jpg

20200525_200916.jpg

20200525_201119.jpg

20200525_201234.jpg

Amazon.jpg

7 minutes ago, VetChugger said:

Totally daft question but what was the tune playing in the background?? Sounded a tad old U2'ish?

(I Just) Died in Your Arms

Cutting Crew

24 minutes ago, eddybear said:

People just take the p..s don't they lol

Absolutely no p..s taking intended. The song has a most interesting history and was somewhat controversial in it's day.

If I have offended I appologise. 

As a loooonng standing Amazon customer I tend to place slightly more emphasis on the 1 and 2 star comments than the 4 and 5 star.

I would be extremely interested in this camera to solve a different kind of problem for us but many of the comments lead me to think "Died in your arms" might be quite apt a bit further down the line.

Any chance of an update in a few months ?

I bought something similar for my boat a few years ago. I took the power for the screen from the stern navigation light switch and the feed for the camera and its transmitter from the stern light itself. This lets me switch it on and off from the helm position.  Apart from the slight oddness of having your stern nav light on when you are reversing, It does the job pretty well. 

37 minutes ago, MotorBoater said:

Any chance of an update in a few months ?

No....if you don't think me capable of making a good purchase now my future review will not be of much use to you.

2 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

I've started looking into having a reversing camera Jemaki, What made you select that one?

Hi Maurice 

The price was good at the time - £46, the reviews were OK and I knew someone who had used the same brand. It's a well made bit of kit and the picture is spot on, also it is very easy to fit with minimal wiring. It's great for reversing if you have a blind spot on one side and a dippy wife who can't direct on the back.... :default_biggrin:

22 minutes ago, Jemaki said:

Hi Maurice 

The price was good at the time - £46, the reviews were OK and I knew someone who had used the same brand. It's a well made bit of kit and the picture is spot on, also it is very easy to fit with minimal wiring. It's great for reversing if you have a blind spot on one side and a dippy wife who can't direct on the back.... :default_biggrin:

Shades of Right! Right! 

Right a bit, No my Right not your Right!

Springs to mind here. :default_biggrin:

• Haha 1