Mooring Fees

unclemike

1 minute ago, chameleon said:

after reading all this wish I hadn't asked, was only  a rhetorical question, just curious as to why it's done this way.

It's the way of these things, no problem as it's all to the good when folks with different views can air them.

After all, there was no fisticuffs 😁👍

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FreedomBoatingHols said:

Comments like this really irritate me.

This is a free-market-economy and in that we have a housing issue where there is a dearth of social housing created in no small part by the Right To Buy and other government policy that directly affected housing stock. We have many private landlords who were encouraged to become so by governments and pension planners who were saying for years that the state pensions were not going to be sufficient to look after us when we retired.  We had a failing private pension system too and plenty of crooks like Robert Maxwell (who's Daughter has just been finally arrested by the FBI) who plundered pension funds for their own benefit. 

We also had housing market conditions that left people in situations that would see them lose if they bought at the top of the market and subsequently sold at the bottom which also created a raft of private landlords. 

There seems to be a big misconception over the average private landlord. There are many who are professional landlords who make their whole living off the profit between the rent paid and the mortgage repayments. There are many more who have just a few properties to act as their pension planning, as I say, encouraged to do so through specific conditions and policy of the past. Many of these people have been smacked squarely in the privates by the more recent shift in tax relief policy too which favours the very big landlords rather than those just getting by with a pension plan that might now be costing them money rather than accumulating a pension pot. 

What are we supposed to do? Should we look merely to break even and then accept that we CAN'T afford to fix the boiler so our tenant can go cold? Or should we regularly review the rents so that we have the money to get a plumber in when the toilet won't flush or should we just pay for that out of our own funds? 

There is a one heck of a realisation that some people need to arrive 

I was totally with you on the private moorings and fees but Im never ever going to be sympathetic to the plight of the private landlord. 

My last landlord may not have increased my rent in the 5 years I lived there but other than the yearly boiler service (which was 15 years old and kettled horrendously every day we were there) he didnt spend 1 penny on the place either. 

When we moved out the new tenant is paying about 27% more per month than we were.  Did he reimburse me for all the decorating? the new stair and landing carpet, the umpteen times I had repaired toilets, dripping taps, replaced toilet seats even repaired dodgy plumbing for him....NO!  (But i knew there was no point even asking) 

I bet he was even disappointed to find I hadn't had his knackered old boiler replaced in my 5 years paying for his pension pot and they expect sympathy too?!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Well done for getting a discount for 5 years.

It is worth remembering that only a few landlords are uncaring and greedy.

As a compassionate professional landlord I have been in regular contact with all my tenants during lockdown and have given discounts to any that are struggling with being furloughed.

My tenants contact my maintenance guy direct for any work needed, if it needs doing it gets done promptly and properly.

I inspect the properties annually for general maintenance and upgrades, we are not all Rackmans but I accept your experience with a bad one has coloured your view.

I hope your new one is better.

• Like 4

The stinker is the deposit for the mortgage. If you can pay rent on most of these buy to let properties then you can afford to pay the mortgage.

Then how much profit does the landlord take? 10% above costs? 
we need rent control and fixed term rents to stop profiteering it’s a bit Wild West out there. 
And finally pay has failed to keep pace with rent and house prices 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think its about time we headed back to the topic in hand.

Whichever way you look at it, when you moor a boat you need twice the area of the boat for that mooring, this is because the boat has to get out of its mooring to the river, ok so when mooring is both sides of a dyke, or both sides of a basin, two boats opposite can share the exit space, then i suppose we have the quay heading maintenance, a basin will have a long side between the two quay headings that will need to be maintained as well, so each stern mooring would contribute to that too. each case will be different to another.

• Like 1