Mooring Fees

unclemike

I do resent paying the berth owner for how much I stick out in the river when I use exactly the same amount of quayhead as the shorter boat next to me. After all I have already paid the BA for how much I stick out!

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, JanetAnne said:

I do resent paying the berth owner for how much I stick out in the river when I use exactly the same amount of quayhead as the shorter boat next to me. After all I have already paid the BA for how much I stick out!

Move to somewhere that you don't resent paying for then. Nobody is forcing you. 

Yeah, everybody is our to screw somebody else in this business and every other that you feel also to question the charges for. 

Why are Heinz Bakes beans 50p a tin when Aldi ones are 17p? They don't stick out of the shelves any further....... 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, JanetAnne said:

And doesn't that just typify the situation!

What situation? All I see is somebody making a statement that they resent paying a landowner for the privilege of mooring a boat stern on in the river and me making the relevant point that you have a choice if it causes you so much resentment that you make a public statement about it. That is the situation. If there's more to it, perhaps you need to take that up with your landowner. 

Most moorings are charged per foot or by the metre. The year before last we helped out our marina by temporary mooring to a smaller mooring, it was slightly shorter and the space between the next boat was narrower, this presented more care was needed getting into the mooring. We were not charged during this temporary arrangement but we were glad to move back to original mooring, wider between the boats and slightly longer on the finger pontoon. We were asked if we wished to be pay a smaller fee for sing the temporary mooring permanently, or owners replied with a resounding no.

At the end of the day we have to moor somewhere and these mooring have to be paid for. You have to choose if it is worth the cost to you.

• Like 2

Boats are expensive everybody! I'm new here, sorry to shock you all.:default_dry:

I looked into mooring costs before I bought the boat and accepted it for what it is. 

My 12ft wide boat will sleep more than shorter boats of very similar bum width (sorry Griff) so I'll need 2 car park spaces, more water etc.

I think Andy has hit the nail on the head with this one! Like any purchase you choose a product (mooring) that suits you and if the price and/or conditions are acceptable to you then you make the purchase.

If the terms, conditions, price change then you find something else that suits you and move.

Owning a boat on the broads, as far as I know, it's a given that you pay for mooring by the size of your boat. Boatyard owners have a business to run, the fact that they do so in such a friendly and helpful way is a bonus... real value added!

• Like 1

If marinas charged for width rather than length on stern moorings a 12ft width boat would be around £165 per foot depending on where it is!  

Some boats are wider in the middle than the stern.....which measurement do they charge for?  

Its the way it is, always has been, always will be

the way i see it, if yo have a 40 foot boat, you need a piece of water 80 foot long to get in and out, stern on in a basin, that means you need a basin 120 foot to moor two 40 foot boats opposite each other, for side on moorings you need a 40 foot length, but need 12 foot width plus another 12 foot width beside you to get in and out,  thus a side on mooring can be placed in a 36 foot width dyke, so basically a stern on mooring basin needs to be 3x the width of a side on one, so your hypothetical 30 foot boat 10 foot wide actually takes the same space stern moored as side, how the boatyard fits the mooring basin into the available space determines whether they stern moor or side moor. to be honest you are using the same area either way round.

If in the future the trend moves to smaller more manageable boats the marinas will loose out over revenue for Stearn moorings. I do wonder if moorings will become a set size I.e. You pay for a 35' by 12' space and anything over that by arrangement with the yard.

If you think your moorings are a bit high then have a look at Coastal moorings, these start at about £3500 + vat for a 10m finger berth and some of the best marinas can be three times that.

Colin :default_drinks:

• Like 1

I have seen some stern on moorings that charge out at the max length that will fit(42 feet I seem to recall)regardless of how long your boat is. And indeed many places charge a minimum length(typically 20 feet), even for side on mooring.

I know what Chameleon is saying but it could be worse if they all went down the 'miniumum length' route and your boat is shorter than it.

I suspect the main point here is that, generally, it is accepted that side on moorings are more expensive than stern on.  Take Oulton Broad Y S, as an example. Its very clear that there is a different pricing structure depending how you choose to moor. In my own experience it has always been either, or, I cannot recall being charged for the length of my boat on a stern on mooring. I also suspect this might be at a rather popular mooring!

• Thanks 1

On 04/07/2020 at 09:50, FreedomBoatingHols said:

What situation? All I see is somebody making a statement that they resent paying a landowner for the privilege of mooring a boat stern on in the river and me making the relevant point that you have a choice if it causes you so much resentment that you make a public statement about it. That is the situation. If there's more to it, perhaps you need to take that up with your landowner. 

It basically boils down to the fact that people think you are charging far too much for what you give. When you see that series that when landlords left their luxury cars and houses to live the life of one of their tenants, you might understand their perspective!