Comedy Hair Dryer

WherryNice

20200707_231339.thumb.jpg.94708383ce31bb067f633aeeb5f00e7c.jpgWhen I bought my latest boat last year(a somewhat dilapidated Hampton Safari before anyone thinks I'm being flash) I found this hair dryer in a cupboard. Anyone remember them? Were they used much? Did they actually work at all? Or is this the only one?

Answers on a(metaphorical) postcard.....

20200707_231334.jpg

The boatyards used to hire those out I seem to remember. They were dire, no other word for them! The amount of puff they put out was negligible and it took an age to get hair dry - and mine’s always been short. Gave up very quickly. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes I recall those,  how they had the cheek to call them a hair dryer beats me.  Absolutely useless. 

Can you imagine that on a boat today.   The ladies of today expect a proper hair dryer together with straighteners. 

• Like 1

I haven't seen one of those for a while!

I remember hiring a boat on the Caledonian Canal a while back that had one. The handover guy joked that it'd be quicker to get someone to take a gulp of Whisky and breathe on your hair.

• Like 1

When we first bought into shared ownership we invited a couple of friends to come with us. The lady asked does it have an hairdryer. When I said there's not enough battery power for one she replied "we won't be able to come then". Turned out it was  her husband that wanted it.

Te first and only time we hired a boat was on the Canal du Midi in 2006. I had  finished 6 months of chemo 3 months before  our departure date and my hair had  started to grow sufficiently for me to leave my wig off. To my horror it had started to come through curly! But  in the absence of a hairdryer on the boat, it was an advantage.Fortunately, the curls  were temporary but they were there just when i  needed them with with blow drying not an option on the boat.

Carole

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

The importance that some folk attach to a hairdryer always amazes me! At home, maybe,  but on a boat surely practical is best. Us men, most of us, don't make it an issue, do we? Dress to come boating!

I hide mine under my gold braided yachting cap :default_biggrin:

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, WherryNice said:

When I bought my latest boat last year(a somewhat dilapidated Hampton Safari before anyone thinks I'm being flash) I found this hair dryer in a cupboard. Anyone remember them? Were they used much? Did they actually work at all? Or is this the only one?

Answers on a(metaphorical) postcard.....

I'm ashamed to say that I sold a half dozen in my shop at Burgh St Peter! Probably refunded at least three of them.

As to what a man finds in his Hampton, really no answer to that one!! 

• Haha 2