Sunken Day Boat

10 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Years ago a glider affair crashed into Oulton Broad, almost on top of me. I phoned up various local news-desks, the first came straight to the point, "anyone dead?" "No" says I, "not interested" said the voice.  Some things don't change!

20180324112614_01.jpg

From what I know of gliding in the UK (I learnt to fly in DE & only have a dozen or so flights in the UK but my brother was CFI of a UK gliding club for some years) gliders did not carry registrations of the form G-MVJC until very recently.  So I'd doubt that was a glider - possibly a powered aircraft with engine failure).

2 hours ago, grendel said:

I thought with gliders anything that ended with the plane on the ground (water) and the pilot alive was called a landing.

With just under 2000 glider flights in my log book that ain't true.

Water landings with gliders  whilst certainly not recommended do happen & are usually the result of a seríous mistake at least some minutes previously. 

1 hour ago, Helian said:

The registration is for a Mainair Gemini Flash (microlight).

Registration cancelled by the Civil Aviation Authority in August 2018.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

Thread expansion warning!

Something my eclectic imagination had oft wondered about, you pay the DVLA for a private car registration plate, do you have to pay for a 'private' aircraft registration number? i.e. G-EEZY for Easyjet.

3 minutes ago, twowrights said:

Something my eclectic imagination had oft wondered about, you pay the DVLA for a private car registration plate, do you have to pay for a 'private' aircraft registration number? i.e. G-EEZY for Easyjet.

The BA aren't adverse to requests for particular boat registration numbers, if you ask nicely! 

As for aircraft,  asking a Broads forum does seem a tad tenuous! 

I'm not sure if you have to pay extra for a "special" aircraft registration, but once issued to one particular aircraft, it's not transferable to another one.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Thanks 1