Sunken Day Boat

29 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

There is a word for most things :default_coat:some can laugh some take offence thats the way of the world  these days.

Fred

This is very true (can something be very true?) Well anyway you're right Fred and perhaps the world has always been this way, I believe there are some wonderful insults from Sheakespear's time! 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hylander said:

The word 'grockles'  is so disparaging ,    we need our tourists in this area.   I wish people would not use that word to describe our visitors. 

Holiday Makers, Grockles, Izzerts, Punters, Trippers, whatever, just nicknames. Holiday visitors, is that acceptable? 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, webntweb said:

Many people with "syndactyly" - the medical term for webbed digits - would take exception to their condition being spoken about disparagingly.

....and there's me, I thought it described people who had shared ownership boats. :default_dunce:

Fred

• Like 1

Guest Jayfire
15 minutes ago, Regulo said:

Describe away! I've been called all manner of things, and I can laugh at them all. What's life without a laugh? :default_biggrin:

Wouldn't possibly call anyone anything derogatory Sir :default_smile:

As for life without a laugh, I wouldn't know. When you walk around with my face, you always have something to laugh at :default_biggrin:

:default_xmas2:

39 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Holiday Makers, Grockles, Izzerts, Punters, Trippers, whatever, just nicknames. Holiday visitors, is that acceptable? 

you forgot:

Lobsters, cos they are almost always red and sunburnt,

And the local one...

furriners, as in anyone from outside the village

1 hour ago, Jayfire said:

Wouldn't possibly call anyone anything derogatory Sir :default_smile:

As for life without a laugh, I wouldn't know. When you walk around with my face, you always have something to laugh at :default_biggrin:

:default_xmas2:

Ah the real reason the government wants us all to wear masks revealed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

you forgot:
Lobsters, cos they are almost always red and sunburnt,
And the local one...
furriners, as in anyone from outside the village
When I was young "four footers" used to be used by Norfolk people (outside of Norwich) to describe people from Norwich.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

11 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

I can think of several localisms used to describe various 'b'  foreigners, settlers  and incomers, several (!) jokes too, but I don't want to upset anyone!

Sorry JM but you probably already have by not mentioning them :default_dry: someone somewhere will be offended by anything.

As a youngster back in pre PC days I was taught a valuable asset in dealing with life by some Jewish people I knew something they were extremely good at. 

That was if you have the ability to laugh at yourself then others can only laugh with you not at you.

Fred

• Like 3

The press and media in general have a lot to answer for. PC was never about not saying blackboard or chairman or having a joke with your friends wherever in the world they came from.

It was about not demeaning and belittling people because of how they looked or where they came from. Hard not to agree with that objective!

Of course eventually the gutter press created a self fulfilling prophecy and PC is as completely devalued as those it was meant to protect.

Just as health and safety saved many lives and serious injuries until it was turned into a joke and abused.

• Like 11

On 11/08/2020 at 17:45, jeffbroadslover said:

Anybody got any information about where the boat was from and what was the cause of the sinking?

Jeff

Who? What? A boat sank? where did you hear that?

I'm surprised there isn't a thread about it?

Come on guys, a boat has sunk, why weren't we told?

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Come on guys, a boat has sunk, why weren't we told?

Years ago a glider affair crashed into Oulton Broad, almost on top of me. I phoned up various local news-desks, the first came straight to the point, "anyone dead?" "No" says I, "not interested" said the voice.  Some things don't change!

20180324112614_01.jpg