Road Accident - Stalham

Hylander

Word is one fatality, the junction is always an accident waiting to happen!  It will only get worse with the new retirement development opposite Tesco. It needs a roundabout to slow the traffic on the A149 and change the priorities. Very sad day for the town.

That is sad news! I agree about the roundabout, maybe even traffic lights now the new development is opening up.

It would have the extra benefit of calming the 149 for the junction at the other end of Stalham and the turn off to Richardsons!

Mostly today though, condolences to the friends and family of course.

I believe a lorry jackknifed. Road closed for most of the day so I hear. I haven't heard about casualties, but I suspect with the length of time the road was closed that it was fatal for some poor soul. 

Lots of road troubles today, weather not helping at all. I had to go to Mill Hill, North London and the journey down was awful.  The sheer weight of traffic made things horrible and there were pillocks everywhere. The A47 from Brundall to the A11 was solid which put traffic onto Norwich roads. It took me an hour and 50 minutes to get from home to Barton Mills.  One moron in a van nearly wiped us out from behind travelling so close he could read the size of my shoes. Unluckily for him, he had his company van sign-written so I made quite a complaint to his boss on the phone..... 

• Like 5

When Tesco was going to expand onto the abattoir site, one of the planning conditions was building a Roundabout on the A149.

That was lost, first because to objections to the expansion.

Second when Tesco found a big black hole in the accounts and had to sell the site.

If ever MacCarthy and Stone get restarted on the abattoir retirement home, when it's finished the access point almost opposite the Tesco warehouse entrance will cause more chaos..

The Accident was on the A149 a 50 mph limit, at that junction  with the road that actually goes past Tescos. You'd never get an artic going fast enough to jackknife outside Tescos itself.

Having just traversed that stretch virtually on Google Maps street view, it is also covered by the average speed cameras and is all 50, with a national speed limit sign either side of that stretch. Also just spotted that the A149 doesn't turn into the A1151, rather that if you turn right at Smallburgh you would stay on the A149 to Cromer, but if you stay on the main road you end up on the A1151.

Most of the speed cameras although connected up have never been commissioned to be used.

I'll be using most from Cats common to Stalham in just over an hour on the way home from work, I use Stalham to  Sutton going to the sailing club or Potter.. The route I know well..

Most of the accidents along that section particularly at Tescos are caused by impatient or not seeing oncoming traffic, drivers pulling out on to the A149

30 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Most of the speed cameras although connected up have never been commissioned to be used.

Does this information come from an official source, in writing. I am aware of drivers who have received FPNs. Anyone care to carry out a practical test?

• Like 2

I am not really sure how the "average" speed cameras can work seeing as there is a mix of speed limits. For an average speed camera to work surely there needs to be cameras at either end of the section of road and for the speed limit to be the same within that section? I believe it was intended to catch motorcyclists going up and down at high speed!! 

As far as I am aware they have never actually been commissioned, other than the one at the Potter end and I certainly know of no one who has been fined.

It appears that a series of average speed cameras need not be linked sequentially, but, for example, No.2 might be linked with No.4. As, in all the stats I have found regarding the A149, only the Potter Heigham camera is mentioned, that first one may be the ‘master’ camera, through which all the data is collected.

That is just a theory, but I’m not prepared to put it to the test. As far as knowing anyone ticketed on that stretch, I know two drivers who were caught out for exceeding the limit for their vehicles, limits which were vehicle related and below the 60 mph road limit. Fiendishly clever, these modern cameras! 

• Like 1