Spring Tide

Andrewcook

I thought a spring tide had a greater range - i.e. it should go down to a lower level at low tide as well as being higher at high tide. Unless I've got that completely wrong, it should make it easier to get under bridges provided you time your bridge passages for low tide.

• Like 3

SPRINGS = the highest of highs and the lowest of lows

NEAPS     = the lowest of highs and the highest of lows

yes, you are correct, low water springs should give maximum bridge clearance. However Northerlies especially with some west in it and atmosheric pressure have a major influence in the southern part of the North Sea.

• Like 1

When I was looking at all the data I could get for Ludham, I looked at the tide heights at Gorleston as well as the river height at Ranworth (the nearest point I could find to Ludham with data) and plotted 12 months on a graph. Whilst its doesn't follow exactly, there seems to be a trend of lowest river levels (= greatest bridge clearance)  a couple of days after a neap tide and highest river levels (= lowest bridge clearance) a couple of days after a spring tide. My theory is that the lower neap high tides allow more water to flow out from the river system between high tide and low tide than a high spring tide does. But, its only a theory!

1 hour ago, stumpy said:

We went under Ludham just before HW yesterday and it was about 2" below the walkway - if it's over we have to think about dropping the canopy.

Any idea what the bridge height was when you passed under?

We're on a pretty high boat in October (tho unsure of the actual airdraft) and we aren't sure whether to risk Ludham or not.

12 minutes ago, 750XL said:

Any idea what the bridge height was when you passed under?

We're on a pretty high boat in October (tho unsure of the actual airdraft) and we aren't sure whether to risk Ludham or not.

Call into Ludham Bridge Boatyard.  They’re really helpful and will tell you whether you’ll get under.  All you need to do then is to check the gauge on the other side as you pass, which will guide you as to the required clearance for the return journey.

51 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

Call into Ludham Bridge Boatyard.  They’re really helpful and will tell you whether you’ll get under.  All you need to do then is to check the gauge on the other side as you pass, which will guide you as to the required clearance for the return journey.

We're coming up from the South Broads and whilst I'm confident I can read the bridge gauge height and make it through (assuming there's enough height) I'm more concerned about the water levels riding whilst we're up the River Ant and getting the boat stuck there at 8ft 6" air draft or so :default_dunce:

Will probably drop in Ludham for a pump out mid week, if they're still offering the service. Remember stopping there last time for a pump out and a very helpful chap sorted us out, his name I've forgotten now.

1 hour ago, 750XL said:

Will probably drop in Ludham for a pump out mid week, if they're still offering the service. Remember stopping there last time for a pump out and a very helpful chap sorted us out, his name I've forgotten now.

That would be George , if concerned as to passage under the bridge give him a ring and he will advise you , also due to Covid-19 measures he prefers you to ring in advance to arrange pump out etc.

Ludham Bridge boat yard number is :-

01692 631011

• Like 1