Investigations Into Speeding Vessels

BroadsAuthority

Broads Beat's Boat is an Orkney 20 Pilot House. They are rated at 80hp for outboard power and 130hp for inboard diesel. 

Looking at the size of their engine in this photo I would say they have all of 80hp.

image-2.jpg.e908cdc3a2aa0c3bd7fbd48f983c1a9c.jpg

• Like 1

I think that is a "Get you to the bank" engine as back-up should the main engine fail. The latest four stroke outboards are very reliable now. You only have to look at the new breed of fast offshore cruisers up to 40ft running on the like of Twin 350hp or 400s.

It is because of demand from offshore cruisers that Yamaha have introduced their XF450 which produces 425hp at the prop. It is based on a 5.6 litre V8. Itis capable of supporting most systems needed as it charges at 90amps, 72 of which are available at 1500rpm.

20200910_080152.thumb.jpg.e852ae3e8148d865206a5e7bde2a417a.jpg

20200910_080117.thumb.jpg.d355f4a07cc0986cd4aac56661c309c3.jpg

Not cheap however each engine, rigged is approx $45000 US, outboards tend to be a lot cheaper in the States!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Nice piece of boat handling by Broadsbeat. Their launch must have a powerful engine!

A RIB was also involved in the tow. Good boat handling by all involved. The hireboat crew must have been scared stiff by the sudden arrival of so much muscle! They had innocently passed under the bridge, perhaps drawn by the Maritime Festival, before all hell let loose and the mass rescue services pounced on them. Needless to say they had passed that massive notice that says 'No Hire Boats beyond this point'!!

1 minute ago, JennyMorgan said:

Needless to say they had passed that massive notice that says 'No Hire Boats beyond this point'!!

So they weren't broken down then? I got the impression they were drifting beam on to the current with no engine. That's why I noticed how well the Broadsbeat launch nudged the bow of the casualty up into the current, before taking on the tow.

1 minute ago, Vaughan said:

So they weren't broken down then? I got the impression they were drifting beam on to the current with no engine. That's why I noticed how well the Broadsbeat launch nudged the bow of the casualty up into the current, before taking on the tow.

I was actually stood on the bank watching the drama unfold. My impression was that the casualty tried to turn but the tide took over thus Broadsbeat and a RIB nudged her round. I have no doubt that there was a degree of panic onboard caused by the rescue response as well as the tide that was hossing full steam through the bridge arches. Their engine may well have packed up but she had come through bridge pointing seaward but then appeared to be unable to turn when instructed to. If I remember correctly a RIB crew member was eventually put aboard the casualty thus i wonder if the casualty's engine was going but the extra muscle was used for safety and handling.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

Indeed. Was it a hire boat? Couldn't see any markings.

The craft's name is visible in a number of takes and although an Alphacraft build, it was not a hire boat. Looking at the heavy bow protection I get the impression it is an  ex hire craft that has come from a waterway with locks.

Impressive video and a job well done by the rescue team. Must have been a scary moment for those on board.

Fred

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1