Drink Driving

LondonGuy

9 minutes ago, LondonGuy said:

Wow...I've opened up a can of worms here! :default_eusa_naughty:

Anyway, if I moor by boat outside a pub and consume a few pints then drive the boat,  the river police are unlikely to keel haul me?

Correct?

That really depends on how "a few pints" affect you. If you are clearly still capable to safely and respectfully manoeuvre the boat then no nobody will bat an eyelid, if you’re like some ladies that I know who a few pints would be a few pints too many then you might well attract some attention from more people than the feds :default_biggrin:

Just be sensible, safe and respectful mate and you will be fine.

If you're clearly a bit p**sed then leave the boat where it is and enjoy the location you are already in, there isn't really a bad place to be in the broads. The boat will still be there the next day to go and enjoy somewhere new :default_beerchug:

18 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Interesting. The only mention of alcohol was by Dr Packman, who only mentioned it for marketing purposes... to kill the market!

I'll drink to that :default_beerchug:

:default_norty:

Is this same Dr Packman who looks like Forest Gump... Where do they get them from .. What a lame tv interview.. We all have a drink onboard going along behaving in a reasonable safe way... Just because the stay cation lot who have invaded the Broads this year caused some bother with the stupid idiotic ways on the rivers that we all get tarnished with the same brush as them... There soon be back in Benidorm on there lilos drunk as skunks then the BA can moan about something else then ...

• Like 2

One thing I did notice, was how a hire cruiser had to go over to the far left side of the river, going under Foundry Bridge, to get out of the way of a couple of paddle boarders, who obviously didn't have a care in the World.

That is certainly unsafe.

And what about the canoe, marked "pub and paddle"? How do you separate the drinking out of that one?

• Like 1

Being irresponsible in the first place and then add alcohol in the mix and you have a potential for holidays to be ruined if not lives destroyed.       The message I feel is directed at people just like that.    Most of us old timers either dont drink or have more sense than to get sozzled.     Most of us olduns for a start cannot afford it.    

• Like 1

Hi again @LondonGuy

Broads Authority Byelaw 83 states that "A person shall not navigate a vessel whilst under the influence of drink or drugs to such an extent as to be incapable of taking proper control of the vessel."

In short, this means that you are able to enjoy a drink during your visit, however you must remain capable of controlling the vessel you are piloting in a safe manner so as not to endanger yourself or other people. If one was found to be unable to pilot safely due to the effects of alcohol, for example by causing an avoidable incident, one may be liable for prosecution.

There is a difference between enjoying a drink or two (as many do during their time afloat) and becoming so drunk you are incapacitated/unaware of your surroundings. The river can be a dangerous place that presents risks at the best of times, and alcohol certainly increases these risks whether you are helming a boat, stepping off/on the vessel or just walking along the river's edge.

We encourage visitors to take personal responsibility for their safety, know their limits and ensure that they do not endanger themselves or others.

Correct me if I am wrong but it seems like you are a new boater - if you have any questions or concerns about your visit to the area that we (the Broads Authority) can help with please feel free to drop me a message and I'll get back to you as soon as I can :default_biggrin:

Best,

Tom

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

BUT should it be "Got me down to a TEE or TEA?    Genuine question!

It should be written as "got me down to a 't'" (lower case 't'). The 't' is short for 'tittle', a tittle being an orthographic instrument such as the dot above the letter 'i' or indeed the stroke on the letter 't'. The phrase is first recorded in regular use in the 1690s.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1