Polluted Broads

JennyMorgan

Brings back the old discussion of dredging the upper Yare so the water can flow freely out to sea .

Since the powers that be have totally refused to listen to opinion that the upper Yare dredging would alleviate the silting up of the lower system perhaps reducing water pollution by doing this will stir then into action , they may not be bothered too much about keeping navigation clear from silt build up but now it could be a threat to wild life and its habitat I wouldn’t be surprised if action is taken sooner rather than later 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

I have to admit that I get confused between Ranworth Broad and Malthouse broad. Which one do we navigate on?

That would be Malthouse Broad and it's Ranworth Broad that is closed off as a nature reserve, unless I've got confused too. :default_icon_wave:

Just now, Jayfire said:

Malthouse for the pub :default_beerchug:

Why does that answer not surprise me?! :default_xmas6:

Just now, SwanR said:

Why does that answer not surprise me?! :default_xmas6:

Are you lashing out at me because I replied first :default_smiley-taunt014:

It was actually because I know it isn't one of Eminem's favourite pubs. That's why I replied like that :default_icon_liar:

:default_xmas2:

6 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Lots of pubs aren't my favourite, in fact only one is!

Don't bog me down with your semantics Eminem, you'll put me right off me beer :default_beerchug:

I also think a Broad needs a bit of flow through it.  If you close it off from the river it will become stagnant.  Vis : the green algae in the Whitlingham gravel pits, which seems to have come as a surprise.  No surprise to me, after a very sunny summer!

The main thing though, must be the state of the bottom, where too much silt means the weeds can't grow.  I remember the spectacular and rapid difference on Cockshoot, after they had done the mud pumping.  Cleaner water also means the sun can get through to the bottom, and grow the weeds.

Meantime, Wroxham Broad has somehow maintained the colour of old squit, in all the years I have known it!

Barton used to be squitty, then we had project Clearwater 2000, and now this report. I would hope the water pouring down the canal would help refresh however whatever’s on the land around gets in and maybe poorly maintained private sewage treatment plants are discharging into ditches etc. The trinity broads surprises me a little too, isn’t this controlled by a water authority?

• Like 1

I wonder if it’s a bit like my fish tank I had with no fish in. 
I need to grow aquarium plants so I stuck in a heater no pump or air. 
fed in aquatic fertiliser. 
After a time you could see layers forming in the water and even different colours in places 

the plants didn’t do terrific 

added a pump to circulate the water and the whole effort went really well

The point is, maybe the continued churning of the water by boats and even sinks adding bits of food for fish, weed being forced back by props sort of keeps the broad in a state of activity on the micro level?

• Like 2