Defender??

JennyMorgan

About ten years ago I was working on a boat in Martham's shed at Cess Road. Next door to our boat was Defender, an ex Truman's hire boat, clearly undergoing extensive restoration. Was she ever relaunched? Anyone seen her afloat? In her day she was Truman's flag-ship, a stylish boat and an easy one to handle. 

Oulton Broad defender.jpg

• Like 1

Yes and yes! I reckon we relaunched her in 2013, her first outing being to the (as it turned out final) VWBA meeting at Beccles that year. 

She was subsequently sold to a chap who lived in the first house past Reedham bridge where she lived until very recently. Not sure where she is currently though.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

Is this it? Sorry about the quality - take from a video. Reedham - December 2018

1090697.jpg

If that is the one, it was sold through NYA,  Brundall last year and is currently moored in one of their moorings in Brundall.  If I remember, when we're up on Norfolk Lady this weekend, I'll get a photo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Several pictures of her on Craig's List. When white she looked splendid but in the picture where she's  been painted cream she looks a bit shabby, not least with the less than Bristol Fashion display of fenders

.http://www.broads.org.uk/wiki2018/index.php?title=Photograph_Gallery&classname=Defender&returnpath=Boat_Details&returnpage=54502&style=Dfnd

45 minutes ago, Turnoar said:

Different build years going by the ads, I saw the 1965 one when it was moored at Martham but can’t recall exactly when. Very comfortable vessel by the looks of the pics, and plenty of deck space to sunbathe on!

Was there more than two?

I can only recollect there being one. Can't find it in Blakes 63 so I presume Craig's build date of 1965  is correct.

6 hours ago, w-album said:

Father hired the smaller Challenger 34 in the early 60s one bleak April. 

There were two Challenger MkII 34s which were very modern looking for their build time; both being listed in Blakes 1947 catalogue along with the bigger Challenger 39.

7 minutes ago, webntweb said:

There were two Challenger MkII 34s which were very modern looking for their build time; both being listed in Blakes 1947 catalogue along with the bigger Challenger 39.

Oops . . . forgot the original Challenger which wasn't as streamlined looking as the MkIIs.

We hired Defender S52 in either 1966 or 67 from Truman’s. We were 3 twenty year old boys and it cost £64.00 a week. If I remember correctly the roof was on a cantilever arrangement which lifted it across onto the rear cabin roof. Forward  and reverse gear was selected by a long gear stick which came up through the floor and you pushed it forward or pulled back to select your gear.  At the time I think the challenger 39 was in the fleet as well.

There is only one Defender.

The piccy from Broadland Yacht Brokers is as she was when we finished her and she was sold on. 

The later yellow and green paint scheme she acquired at Reedham a few years later still brings me out in a sweat! 

She was, and probably still is, very traditional inside. She was quite a late build for an all wooden boat but was beautifully fitted out in a style that somewhat predated her.

She was a six berth with all six as single beds. 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, JanetAnne said:

The later yellow and green paint scheme she acquired at Reedham a few years later still brings me out in a sweat! 

The before and after pictures are only a few years apart, horrifying!   It shows very clearly how quickly varnish work can go to the dogs if it's not cared for.

Sadly, a lick of paint can cover a multitude of sins!  Whether that applies in this instance I can only guess. 

To my way of thinking she looked superb in her previous, varnish & white guise.