Anyone Use Refillable Gas Cylinders?

Cockatoo

After having to go to Attleborough to get a replacement cylinder at the weekend I have been looking at alternatives and have come across refillable cylinders made by Safefill

My thinking is that the 5kg cylinder, holding 8.5 litres of LPG (about £5.95 per fill at todays prices) should last about the same time as a 4.5kg Calor @ £18.95, saving £13 a fill. At an initial cost of about £200 (including the filling adapter and regulator) should have a payback time of around 15 months as I fit a new Calor cylinder about every 6 weeks on average.

Thoughts anyone?

31 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

At 6 week fills I'd certainly consider it but I only get through 2 4.5kg bottles a year usually so not worth the hassle for me, we don't do much cooking on board though.

That would only give you a 7.5 year payback time lol

14 minutes ago, grendel said:

The question is whether anyone sells the gas to refill them by the riverside.

Not as far as I can see @grendel. For me, Morrisons or BP (24hr) in Norwich is good enough.

Another plus point is that the cylinder doesn't have to be empty but can be topped up at anytime. I go into Norwich 2 or 3 times a week, at least once by car.

I think a lot of folk will follow your lead. There are one hell of a lot of Vikings, Shetlands and other inland cruisers relying on Propex and Truma heating. It would save them a small fortune.

Just swerve by the gas station off the A149 next to Ludham airfield for a top up? Mate of my mine used to take his converted ‘gas’ guzzler v8 something or other, much easier than garages in his opinion. Good on his tax bill and think it was congestion charge exempt too for a while, handy for the big smoke. With a wheelbarrow might be walkable from moorings ar Potter.

I've used LPG in cars for years, but never bothered with safe fill for the caravan as we don't use enough and a flogas 7l butane costs less than £20 anyway. They are however a hot topic on the caravan forums with people struggling to find locations to fill them. I used to fill the car at our local flogas depot and pay by card, no account needed but they will not allow the filling of flogas bottles. The other location I used was a Shell forecourt and they did not allow the filling of cylinders either. 

Before buying, make sure you have a reliable location for refilling them. Don't assume that a petrol station which sells LPG will allow you to refill a bottle.