Hampton 25

Roy

You obviously you have your Purchase price and if not 100% self financed there will be an element of interest.

You should be able to Moor, Insure and Toll for somewhere in the region of ÂŁ2500 pa.

The unanswerable is maintenance. These boats are now between 38 and 50 years old and they have an engine, gearing, shaft, prop. Rudder stock, rudder and steering control. That is before you look at the hull, superstructure and windows.

Try to build in a "Fighting Fund" reserve to soften the blow of any surprises.

When thinking about a boat an active Owners Club is always a good starting point and they often have well cared for examples for sale.

PS. Remember also there is the cost of travel to and from the boat which can be quite considerable if you live far away and wish to use the boat on a regular basis.

• Like 3

For our Broom Skipper we base our costs per year as ÂŁ3000 to allow for toll, insurance, mooring with a bit over.

We have set up a ‘boat fund’ where we put in a certain amount a month which more than covers our basic costs. This is to allow for the maintenance side of things such as anti fouling and other projects which wont happen each year. By doing this, we dont dread the annual bills which all come at once.

This year was a bit costly as we had anti fouling done and put in a heating system but next year should be bare minimum costs (fingers crossed),  but we will still put in the same amount each month to get the boat fund looking healthy for the next round of maintenance and annual costs. 

I have to say, we dont include the costs of travel to and from the boat but it does cover the fuel and pump outs 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Roy said:

Could somebody give me the rough years cost of owning a Hampton 25 mk2.

i have always wanted one just seeing if I can afford to keep one. 🤣

thanks 

Before you spend your money on one, make sure you get a thorough survey completed with the boat out of the water by a good, reputable surveyor.   The survey on our Broom 29 failed to find a number of issues which have cost a significant amount of money to resolve since purchase.

That said, the pleasure of ownership has outweighed the costs, despite being denied the ability to use her for around three months this year due to restrictions imposed as the result of the pandemic.

The last few years has seen the Hampton becoming almost an appreciating asset , fantastic little boats much akin to the Austin Mini in the car world. A true classic cruiser.

Ten years ago you could buy a good one for between 12 and ÂŁ14k now the same boat and condition is closer to ÂŁ20k some even more .

Great all year boats , so if not fitted factor in the cost of tube heaters if you intend to keep her in use all year round .

do you want to buy a really good one and keep it nice or a slightly rough one and upgrade it over time?

let me know when you decide what to do, i have a few owners and purchasers i occasionally  manage to put together, 

i don't normally charge commission as I don't work hard at it but like to help where i can. 

I also have one mooring available for a boat up to 32' (as well as one side on up to 46') 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, C.Ricko said:

I also have one mooring available for a boat up to 32' (as well as one side on up to 46') 

Shame MauriceMynah has found a mooring, he could have your 46' side on.  You could then open an onsite bar and retire...:default_beerchug:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, C.Ricko said:

do you want to buy a really good one and keep it nice or a slightly rough one and upgrade it over time?

let me know when you decide what to do, i have a few owners and purchasers i occasionally  manage to put together, 

i don't normally charge commission as I don't work hard at it but like to help where i can. 

Thank you that’s very kind. 

I don’t mind one that needs some cosmetic work undertaken. 

Thanks again 

• Like 1

Hello Roy, I have a Safari, this years toll was ÂŁ307.56, my mooring is ÂŁ660 per 6 months and the insurance was around ÂŁ160, giving an annual total for basics of just shy of ÂŁ1800. Of course mooring fees and insurance costs will vary depending on location and provider respectively but I hope that gives an indication, my yard is good value, not super posh but has electric and water etc etc

Maintainence/servicing cost is probably the biggest variable for any boat, Always  allow extra on your purchase budget to cover unforseen issues and as others have said make sure your annual budget has enough extra capacity to build a bit of a cushion for future expenditure. 

I can't comment on the cost of having boatyards do work as I mainly DIY it.

Good luck if you do go for it, lovely boats IMHO:default_biggrin:

37 minutes ago, WherryNice said:

Hello Roy, I have a Safari, this years toll was ÂŁ307.56, my mooring is ÂŁ660 per 6 months and the insurance was around ÂŁ160, giving an annual total for basics of just shy of ÂŁ1800. Of course mooring fees and insurance costs will vary depending on location and provider respectively but I hope that gives an indication, my yard is good value, not super posh but has electric and water etc etc

Maintainence/servicing cost is probably the biggest variable for any boat, Always  allow extra on your purchase budget to cover unforseen issues and as others have said make sure your annual budget has enough extra capacity to build a bit of a cushion for future expenditure. 

I can't comment on the cost of having boatyards do work as I mainly DIY it.

Good luck if you do go for it, lovely boats IMHO:default_biggrin:

Thank you that’s really helpful. 

• Like 1