For The Environment Hybrid Boats

Andrewcook

the silly bit is that diesel doesnt have to mean fossil fuel, it was originally designed to run on peanut oil, they even run cleaner on vegetable oil than proper diesel. 

That said i would love a steam driven boat, even if it did mean getting up to light the boiler several hours before i wanted it.

• Like 3

Yet again, nothing is new.

Langford Jillings built a hybrid hire boat about 25 years ago.  It was about 40ft, driven by a great big electric motor on a shaft drive, with a little toggle switch on the dashboard, for ahead and astern.

Langford wanted to get a reduced river toll because of the green technology and was furious when the BA refused.

They gently pointed out that the generator that ran the motor was powered by a Perkins 4108 that was pumping as much exhaust into the river as any other hire boat!

:default_stinky:

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Paul said:

Electric cars with a specified towing capacity are starting to appear, but as yet there seems to be no proper testing on how towing, a 1500kg caravan for example would reduce the vehicles range. I understand one of the clubs, Caravan Club or Camping and Caravan Club are trying to get Tesla to support a test on the Model X range when towing but Tesla have declined, which gives a good idea of what the result might be. 

Battery electric vehicles will never be a viable replacement for all of our petrol and diesel cars. We simply cannot generate sufficient power to charge them all, the world does not have enough lithium to produce all the batteries even to replace a fraction of the cars currently on the road, we cannot afford the infrastructure to charge them all, even if we could build them, and generate enough power, something which is not helped by the fact that the auto industry continues to refuse to adopt a standard charging technology so a charger for one make may not charge cars of another make. 

The UK has set a deadline of 2035 for the end of cars which use petrol or diesel, it was the first major nation to set a deadline and the current deadline is the earliest of all those nations. The fact is the dates will be driven by the motor industry, not the UK government. I can promise you now there is nobody at Toyota, GM, Ford, Volkswagen etc worrying about what targets the UK government set, in fact they don't give a jot. Most, it would appear would be ready to meet a 2035 target, but only if it suits them. I'm sorry to burst your bubble Mr Johnson but the worlds motor industry does not hang on your targets and deadlines. 

The future of private cars will either mean far fewer cars on the road, or alternative technologies of which the only one which could meet all requirements is the hydrogen fuel cell. There is no doubt that the fuel cell will play a role in zero emission road transport, I personally thing that it will be the fuel of the future, the electric car is a short term stop gap. I have little doubt that in 50 years time the world will look back and think " did we really try and use electric cars "?

Once all of that has been sorted, we then have to face the fact that whatever we do, it will impact the global production of greenhouse gasses by the tiniest fraction of one percent. If we want to stop global warming, climate change call it what you will then we need to stop factories in China, India, even the USA belching out huge quantities of carbon gasses, many of which are producing batteries for electric cars ...... 

No wonder the Government are still keen to push on with HS2 - or are they?