History Of The Broads

Andrewcook

What year was the Broads been Duged out for Peat? With the rest connected up. As there was a lot of Sailing Boats then ?  As to having famous  Pirates   roaming  around while then it was a very low River at the early part of the  century ? . I  do know Loddon  was Duged out    As today some history has been lost like Coleman's gone  Wind mills disappearing. What sort of History will the Broads have in  the next fifty  Years  or so ? 

6 minutes ago, Andrewcook said:

What sort of History will the Broads have in  the next fifty  Years  or so ? 

If we are to believe the doom-mongers then in fifty years time the Broads will be returned to being a big estuary, the sea will be allowed to ravage the land & Potter Heigham renamed as Potter Next To Sea and the RSPB will be celebrating.

The broads will have more history in 50 years time as will be 50 years older.

History is never lost it's just the evidence that is lost, and most of what is there now hid or lost the evidence of the previous history.

I like the american approach to historic artifact preservation, elect it and give it bodyguards.

What that doesn't say, is peat digging for local domestic use, went on till around the first world war..

Sailing boats were around long before and long after peat digging, there is some evidence that the Norfolk Wherry via the Norfolk keel goes back to the Viking vessels  which invaded ,from 793-1066. There would have been sailing vessels before then in Norfolk.. dugout canoes have been found going back over 3000 years..

Not so much pirate vessels but smugglers would have been common, avoiding taxes on import of wine and brandy was a local sport.

27 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Not so much pirate vessels but smugglers would have been common, avoiding taxes on import of wine and brandy was a local sport.

In the boardroom library at Ipswich Customs House which was Head office for Anglia collection before Customs was amalgamated into the Revenue there was a painting of a riding officer looking up at a windpump. There were three others scattered about in the distance, all with the sails in a 'plus' sign. Apparently if the sails were set at St George's cross it was a signal to all that he was about so he might as well go home! 

They are not windmills they are wind pumps, a windmill has a millstone above ground level for milling, a wind pump has a pump below water level for pumping, it would take a massive re-work to convert and would be pointless and would be destroying its heritage.

• Like 2

As it is I don't think the windpumps are even allowed to pump water these days except for show, hardley mill when it runs just pumps from the marsh dykes up into a ditch where it ends up back in the marsh dykes, they are not allowed an opening through the floodbanks, the electric pumps have pipework over the banks with anti-syphon loops so failures don't cause flooding.

14 hours ago, Smoggy said:

May depend on the flood bank level, north tides are not as big as south tides.

I think this may be right. I thought it might be because one still worked with a scoop wheel but I see that both are now fitted with the Appold turbine pump, as is Stracey arms. I understand that these pumps were capable of lifting water up to 12ft.

100_3436.thumb.jpg.2997b9191e4d2819623122e00ffd72c8.jpg

This is Oby mill, which shows the casing of the turbine pump, with driveshaft removed. In the brickwork of the tower can be seen the brick arch of the original scoop paddle wheel.

20 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Norfolk is too low lying to have very many wind mills, cos Flour and water don't go well together.   ...   Doh!

One the other forums I go on has  a GROAN emoji... I think it may be needed here..

• Haha 1