Having A Bad Day? (boats swept away on the Lot in France)

oldgregg

I have just been looking up the website for the local paper and it seems there were 21 boats involved, which were swept over the weir all together but then got split up when they hit the piers of the old railway bridge.  Those that didn't sink on the way have got as far as Luzech, which is several miles downstream.

The fear is that the water will still rise, and sweep away the rest of the boats which are up on the hardstanding on the boatyard.  I know that base, and the hardstanding is a long way up from the river - probably more than 30ft!

Edited to say : The paper says that no-one was hurt.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Just had a look on Google Maps. If it's the Le Boat base in Douelle it really is perilously close to a weir. I know the most important thing is nobody hurt, which thankfully is the case, but that must be soul destroying, however big your yard, to see part of you livelihood literally washed away. If they've made it as far as Fumel that really is a hell of a way.

33 minutes ago, MaceSwinger said:

If they've made it as far as Fumel that really is a hell of a way.

When a river like the Lot is in full spate, there is nothing much to stop them.  The water is so high that they ride straight over the weirs.  That video at the start of the thread shows them riding over the weir in Douelle while they were still attached to the pontoon. Just after that they hit the piers of the old railway bridge and that split them up.  After that, they are going downstream in a current of at least 10 miles an hour, sideways.  As soon as each one hits a bridge pier, that will be enough to sink it.

I am trying not to express my disgust at what I am pretty sure must have happened.

• Like 1

As if 2020 hadn't been hard enough for the industry. The poor people who depend on those boats! I am shocked and hope they can recover their livelihood. What an unbelievable sight that really reminds you how powerful the water can be if it feels like it. I am grateful there were no injuries but my heart goes out to those involved. 

• Like 3

I took a look at Google earths satellite image of the boat yard in question.its entire river frontage is one long pontoon, am I right in thinking the whole pontoon broke free taking all the boats and equipment with it. I've absolutely no idea how pontoons are anchored to the river bank but surely its more then just some ropes. What an absolute shame for the yard and all its staff.

• Like 1