Televisions Are Ok

Andrewcook

Should be fine but if you are at all unsure, best to leave it until the TV has enjoyed a warm spell to make sure the insides are fully dried out. If it's one of those with built in DVD player then that part of it may be doubtful.

We killed a CD/DVD player by leaving it in our caravan over winter, even with a crystal dehumidifier. The mechanical drives and rubber drivebelts don't enjoy the damp. The radio part worked OK though, which was the only bit we used.

I would never leave any such electronics on board over winter. 

The biggest threat to TVs, I think, might be Modified Sine Wave inverters. Or it could have been hirers. Not sure. Let's just say that we replaced more TVs than bilge pumps which also don't seem to like damp conditions. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FreedomBoatingHols said:

we replaced more TVs than bilge pumps which also don't seem to like damp conditions.

That's a bit ironic with a bilge pumps job.

The tv itself will probably be fine, the content will still be questionable at best.

As Andy says the biggest killers of 240v electronic gear is poor inverters, the biggest killer of 12v tv's is direct 12v connection as 12v is often up to 16v and spiky and led backlighting don't like it, should always be through a voltage stabiliser.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

That's a bit ironic with a bilge pumps job.

The tv itself will probably be fine, the content will still be questionable at best.

As Andy says the biggest killers of 240v electronic gear is poor inverters, the biggest killer of 12v tv's is direct 12v connection as 12v is often up to 16v and spiky and led backlighting don't like it, should always be through a voltage stabiliser.

100% right about 12v TVs. If it's an AVtex tele, designed for motorhome use, etc, it will be OK as these have DC to DC converters to regulate the power. If it's one you've picked up from the high street (more irony) that has a 12V input from a transformer, don't go thinking that it's fine on your boat as the transformer brick outputs a constant voltage which, as Smoggy says, is definitely not what your boat's power system will be unless you've had a decent DC to DC converter fitted (most won't). 

• Thanks 1

We used to leave our 12v TV onboard all the time. It was never the cold weather that killed those off it was forgetting you had not put it safe and jumping over someone's wake that killed those off. :default_laugh:

We always left our 12v flat screen  t.v.  in situ on board during the winter months and never had a propblem. We always had heating on board  during the winter via small oil filled radiators set to a minimum of  8 deg.  although  they were small heaters so it seldom got that warm  certainly not during  cold spells. It usually just about managed to stay above 5 deg.

Carole

I bought my Kogan tv back in 2012 or 2013. it was installed in Nyx and has remained there since. The integral DVD player has failed (I suspect owing to spiders rather than damp) but apart from that, it is still fully operational.

The screen is yet to turn green.

• Haha 1

I turn my telly on periodically but I reckon it's broken. All I can get on it is thirty year old sit coms, a load of people that can't dance, can't skate, can't bake, trapped in a jungle and the feed from some copper's dash cam.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1