Southern Broads

Andrewcook

Why are Boat Yards in the Southern Boat Yards are Deminishing ? Such as Oulton Broad with Hampton Boats and One other./ Norwich Jenner's and one other / Reedham Arrow Boats and other. Is it because of lack of Mornings or places of interest one other that is very Tidal ? As the Norther Broads gets very over crowed at times I believe?

Yards have gone both north and south  of the broads.Disagree about places of interest. Theres Norwich,Reedham,Somerlayton,Beccles, Oulton Broad,Loddon and Chegrave.Yes its Tidial,but that's part of the fun of boating.In this day and age,yards will come and go.With Covad that's not helping. 

Gosh Andrew, those you mention have been long gone! The northern Broads are usually noted as being more ‘picturesque’ but, to be honest, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and the southern Broads have so much to offer. I believe that many hirers start off hiring in the north and are reticent to cross Breydon so never get south. Hence the north has become overcrowded. 

• Like 2

Many years ago my father had a restaurant at Oulton Broad overlooking the Yacht Station. From his office he saw all the boats coming and going. When the BIG Broom boats started to regularly visit the Broad he predicted that that would be the  end of the popularity of Oulton Broad as a holiday destination. His theory was that the two fleets don't mix, that hire boats and large private boats are poor bed fellows. Maybe he had a point. 

Back in the 1980s I worked as harbour master at the Waveney River Centre thus I spoke to hundreds of holiday makers many of whom told me that they were put off by the antics of the water-skiiers, indeed some were in tears. Not many ski boats about now but there used to be.

In both instances that was some ago but the hire fleets still tend to stay up North, for whatever reason. We have lost many down South boatyards to property development which has had a massive impact. 

In the past hire boats from down South headed North and those from up North came South. A stop-off for both at Gt Yarmouth being a big part of the adventure. I wonder if the current BIG hire boats are unsuitable for mooring or turning to moor at Gt Yarmouth. Down South has a great deal to offer but seemingly not enough to attract North Rivers boats. 

55 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Many are worried that if the breydon sea monsters dont get them there fall off the :default_biggrin:edge of the world

That's what it is Ian. They are scared by talk on forums and the likes of Facebook. On one such FB site, the contributors actively pile in to tell newcomers not to risk going south, unless like them, they are old hands and therefore suitably qualified. As I wrote on another thread, I crossed from south to north on my first trip on the Broads back in 1973, and having not having been able to read such scare stories, I'm pleased I broke my Breydon taboo early. 

It's also probably why the number of yards in the south has dwindled over the years. The north is said to be more scenic, and the average newcomer doesn't want to risk Breydon to see it. Plus with the numbers of people taking 3 and 4 night short breaks now, a journey from north to south will take up at least two days of their holiday. 

Whenever I've been at Yarmouth Yacht Station (often), there is no shortage of the larger craft mooring or passing through. So it isn't more difficult for these new boats to traverse to the mythical southern lands. 

DSC02660.JPG

DSC02588.JPG

DSC03089.JPG

• Like 1

On our first trip in 1982, we hired from Brundall, crossed Breydon and got under PH bridge! It was April and not very busy, (think it might be different this year - after the 12th of course!) I have often thought how glad I am that the internet and social media didn’t exist back then. 

9 minutes ago, DAVIDH said:

On one such FB site, the contributors actively pile in to tell newcomers not to risk going south, unless like them, they are old hands and therefore suitably qualified.

I wonder how many have been put off crossing Breydon with these sort of warnings. 

I'm probably talking out of hand here, but I really don't get all the fuss about crossing Breydon and the reams of horror stories. Yes the tides flow fast, there's a couple of low bridges but that's it. If it's not blowing Gail force winds etc etc I really can't see a problem. Are ppl not able to excersise common sense nowdays, you have all the information you need on board in terms of tides, bridge heights places to stop before reaching the point of no return so to speak. Crossing Breydon on a nice day is fantastic experience, its even fun when it's a bit choppy, water spraying up over the bow, closest il get to helming a boat at sea. The water skiers could be a pain in the bum sometimes but nothing to get upset about. There are some nice places to visit on the southern network,Beccles and Loddon my personal favourites. Oh and the stench of farmers spreading their muck and the wonderful pong you get when passing Cantley 😒. Theirs a stretch of river just past Cantley heading towards Brundall, that even on a barmy Summers day it always seem to have a force ten wind blowing. Anyone else ever noticed it, or is it just me. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Many are worried that if the breydon sea monsters dont get them there fall off the :default_biggrin:edge of the world:default_stinky:.

Don't worry about Breydon Bess, just throw her a couple of submerged stakes and she will leave you alone.

Seriously though, reading the boat's manual thoroughly is essential and using a bit of common sense is even more essential. 

• Like 1

Hi I like the Photos David H . Chelsea 14Ian if you are on the Broads for Two weeks yes Cross over to the South then back to the North of the Broads . I will be there for Two weeks but on Two Different Boats from the same Yard  as I could not get the One Boat for the whole of theTwo weeks  o bother . 

Andrew - easily doable in a week , especially if you use the other week to do the north.

Depending on tides you could do a whole week down south - I am sure you know how to check the tides etc etc but if you need any help, just post the dates and someone will advise you which would give you the best to catch the best tides.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andrewcook said:

I will be there for Two weeks but on Two Different Boats from the same Yard  as I could not get the One Boat for the whole of theTwo weeks  o bother . 

Andrew, have you asked the boatyard to watch out for one of the weeks coming available through cancellation? It's a long shot, but not impossible. There were lots of cancellations last year, so you never know. 

Our first, and so far only, trip on the Broads was two years ago. The advice on here about crossing Breydon was very useful and if followed makes for a stress free and fairly easy crossing. We crossed on our third day and moored overnight at Reedham, before returning north the next day.

We're back this May and September (pre-booked last year) and fully intend heading south again, but staying in the south for longer this year.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cheesey69 said:

. . . . . Tides, longer between moorings, less wild moorings. Less Towns that are built around the boater eg potter and Wrexham. Less water points and the big one, fear of not getting back to yard . . . . . . 

Wrexham, that is well North!

• Haha 2

Personally as a stinky owner I am not a great lover of the Southern Broads. They can be ok in mid Summer when days are long and warm when you can use the tides to belt you along  almost on tickover. However, their saving grace is the wildlife if you are an enthusiast with many Marsh Harriers, Barn Owls and all sorts of things you will not see elsware.

Also it is a wonderful place for sailing and I am surprised that there are few if any boatyards South that you can hire a decent size sailing boat. The rivers are wide and largely open giving good clean wind for the sails.

One thing I will say about Breydon, take care if you are crossing in the evening. I made the mistake a few years ago and was engulfed in a thick fog half way across. Fortunately I found a navigation post and tied up to that for the night but it could have been a bit dodgy otherwise. Mind you, having plenty of nosh and beer on board it was not that bad and it was a wonderfully quiet mooring for the night.

8 hours ago, DAVIDH said:

As I wrote on another thread, I crossed from south to north on my first trip on the Broads back in 1973

That was my experience, back in 1968. Only in my case it was in a yacht with no engine. Three years later I was skippering a similar yacht across with a crew of young beginners. It is not difficult if planned correctly. I'm sure that a lot of the mystique is as a result of the tales of woe from those who have not done the careful planning. To my mind a passage through Great Yarmout and across Breydon needs approaching similarly to a pilot plan for a harbour entry. Read the guide, make notes and sketches, identify indicators for not going and stick to them. It can then be very low stress. Unfortunately there is no guide as good as the old Hamilton's Navigations

A few years ago I wrote a guide to going through Yarmouth without an engine and put it on my website. It is in need of a revision but now I live overseas and also sail offshore professionally I haven't been back to view the changes (such as the pontoon) and get it properly updated. Hopefully next year. For anyone who is interested it can be found here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Peter, it will probably only be an occasional thing. I'm now living in Spain and working as a Yachtmaster INstructor in Gibraltar, so I'm a bit out of touch with things Broads. I do like to read the forum though and keep as up to date as I can. Hopefully I'll get there some time next year, possibly for the 3RR.

• Like 1