Bbq's

marshman

PLEASE, PLEASE be very careful with BBQ's this dry weather as the marshes and other areas are exceptionally dry.

The worst culprits are the shop bought disposable ones and you MUST use a stand for them. Placed on the peat the fire can burn directly down, travel horizontally for some way and break out some distance away and you will be unable to extinguish it easily. 

Do not place them directly on the wood around moorings either for obvious reasons.

Please treat the marshes with care - a fire will spread rapidly and do untold damage to wildlife as well.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Good post.    They get extremely hot ,  even placed on two bricks they radiate a lot of heat downwards even then.    Gas cylinders and the likes are banned from being on board and may be just may be it might not be a bad idea to discourage these type of BBQs being taken on board as well.

I know they are more expensive but there are some really good versions that are more user friendly.   Heaven forbid that we see them used on board the boats as we have seen in the past and to boot placed on top of the gas locker.   I mean when they handed out brains they certainly missed a few.

I mean for under £20 you can get a better version , I am not saying this one but there are loads of others.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Uten-Barbecue-Portable-Charcoal-Backpacking/dp/B07MDBGZ4C/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=portable+bbq&qid=1619084792&sr=8-3

• Like 1

Probably me, I've never felt the need to bbq on the broads.

Sometimes I class it as annoying as running your engines at a mooring. At least running your engine has a point, burning food then sticking it a bun when you have a great grill on board does me head in.

• Like 5

Hi I still have memories of a Hired Boat coming out of Ranworth having BBQ on top of the Boat what twit and worse of all I was unlucky with the same Boat moored up in front with Music and Drinking late in to the Night as my Crew next was not a Happy I took action  contacted B A and got them thrown off the Broads. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, Andrewcook said:

Hi I still have memories of a Hired Boat coming out of Ranworth having BBQ on top of the Boat what twit and worse of all I was unlucky with the same Boat moored up in front with Music and Drinking late in to the Night as my Crew next was not a Happy I took action  contacted B A and got them thrown off the Broads. 

You got the ba to come out, in the middle of the night and throw someone off the broads for having a few drinks and some music on after dark?,

2 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

You got the ba to come out, in the middle of the night and throw someone off the broads for having a few drinks and some music on after dark?,

I was thinking the same thing, surely there was more to it than that to get them thrown off?

Griff

Would it have had anything to do with the BBQ on top of the boat , or am I missing something.   If that and unsociable behaviour then what is.     Respect for the boat,  respect for others,  respect a word that many seem to not know the meaning of.    Usually all this is accompanied by foul language and when you have your family and children near to it is not a laughing matter.

• Like 1

Its like anything, your having fun on holiday, having a drink, bite to eat with some friends....

But your on a nose to tail mooring, its 11 at night, your getting louder and so is your music and noise carries and your BBQ fumes smoke everyone out.

I've had it and had to square up to them.

Wild mooring? knock yourself out. In company you got to moderate your self.

Being a pain in the stern is very easy sometimes especially when you dont realise it 

• Like 1

Interesting pictures in my mind of getting thrown off the broads. How does that work? :default_blink:

Edit: No. Don't explain I get what you mean. Just a wonderful picture.

I always feel boating holidays seem to highlight the best and worst of people. Some folks' natural consideration, generosity and kindness shines out, whereas others' natural selfishness and unpleasantness comes out. I'd say 86% of people are pretty decent, tolerate the foibles of others and have their own foibles tolerated. They also realise the world isn't their playground and that it's only decent to respect the wishes of others and not behave like mindless yobs.

All in all, that's not too bad a percentage.

Mind you, I'm in an optimistic mood this evening :default_biggrin:

• Like 4
  • Love 1