Live 'Carried Away By A Moonlight Shadow' Posts

YnysMon

It definitely did not stay sunny Kate. Grey afternoon again that got darker and darker until it absolutely poured with rain mid-afternoon. Anyone caught outside would have got soaked. I did wonder where our boaters were at the time. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, kpnut said:

Did it stay sunny? It was brilliant sun as I came down the Ant to drop the boat off at LBBY but the drive home back to Yorkshire was rainy

We spotted Springer's Retreat as we passed LBBY this morning.

1 hour ago, SwanR said:

Anyone caught outside would have got soaked. I did wonder where our boaters were at the time. 

Alec did get a bit wet. 

We are at Ranworth, tucked up next to Pipedreams. After a quick word with Simon, Alec and I went up to the church, as he hadn't visited it before. Once we'd had a look around, and Alec had been up the tower, we went to the church tea room, which is currently open weekends only until Easter.

I'd forgotten they only accept cash, but Alec volunteered to go back to the boat for some. First he had his tea and millionaire 's shortbread. Just after he did leave it started raining. Fortunately it didn't get really heavy until he got to the boat and was able to grab an umbrella as well as the cash. 

• Like 1

On 08/01/2023 at 12:09, YnysMon said:

Sorry we didn't meet this morning, I'm never sure of the etiquette of tapping on someone's window, especially if the curtains are partly drawn.

We are currently at St Benet's. I'm preparing brunch whilst everyone else is out for a walk. 

IMG_20230108_115725153_HDR.thumb.jpg.1cc3d33023e59d49ffcf10a9f5ba2111.jpg

I was unsure of the etiquette as well. We seemed surrounded by anglers. By the time I'd sorted myself out you were on your way. I have no problem with you knocking on if we bump into each other again and I'll do the same.

• Like 1

On 08/01/2023 at 16:13, Andrewcook said:

Afternoon Sandiman I'm amazed of you doing Solo Boating is Thunder Middle Steering and being mindfull of Mooring up it's nice to be able to pick and choose your mooring with east at this time while it's quiet and pleasant to be on the Brods you have a pleasant time Mr. Solo and take care.

Hi Andrew. I am on Silver Cloud which is middle steering. Mooring is a challenge especially with the wind these last few days. I have to pick the mooring carefully, however there is plenty of room to manoeuvre at this time of year. I was very grateful to the gentleman who assisted me at Womack Staithe this afternoon, as the wind was blowing me.

• Like 2

Yesterday was a washout. Moonlight Shadow didn't carry us away anywhere. We did go to Caister on Sea and The White Horse Upton by car though. Had the best pub meal I've had in a long time. They currently have a savers menu - 2 mains for £18. 

This morning we went to Wroxham and naughtily moored at the Staithe dyke to nip to the recycling bins behind the St John's and to Roy's.

Currently at Salhouse preparing lunch. Pozzick fell in whilst getting off the boat. Whoops! He needs to learn to get off the back not the side when we are stern moored. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, YnysMon said:

Pozzick fell in whilst getting off the boat. Whoops! He needs to learn to get off the back not the side when we are stern moored. 

Easily done. 
I was moored once at st Benets and while sorting out my friend’s dog late at night in the dark, I opened the bow door to let Finlay out. I suppose I was blocking the way landward so the next thing I knew he’d dived in, thankfully he just swam round the front to the quay heading and I pulled him out. 
He won’t go into the front well of the boat at all now, not even if I put his food bowl out there. 
Now, when he goes out the stern door he always stops on the step and looks both ways before deciding which way he needs to go. Like crossing the road! It helps that while training him, I could fasten the river side of the canopy down to block him. 

Not the best of weather for your trip Helen, but good that you’re getting out and about on land as well as water. 

Which is the staithe mooring in Wroxham, where boats pick up the pilot? I don’t actually know the rule for mooring there when the pilot’s not working ie after hours in the summer and anytime in the winter. Can anyone enlighten me please? I have a feeling you weren’t being naughty at all. 

• Like 1

I’d be interested to know too. I thought the dyke by the ‘waiting for the pilot mooring’ on the left hand side (nearest the road) was a public mooring and the side nearest the hotel isnt. Ive seen on Robin’s vlogs he’s often moored there.   

2 hours ago, kpnut said:

Which is the staithe mooring in Wroxham, where boats pick up the pilot? I don’t actually know the rule for mooring there when the pilot’s not working ie after hours in the summer and anytime in the winter. Can anyone enlighten me please? I have a feeling you weren’t being naughty at all. 

1 hour ago, Lulu said:

I’d be interested to know too. I thought the dyke by the ‘waiting for the pilot mooring’ on the left hand side (nearest the road) was a public mooring and the side nearest the hotel isnt. Ive seen on Robin’s vlogs he’s often moored there.   

We were being naughty. There's a short dyke beside the the Staithe where you pick up the pilot. It says it's for small unpowered craft only. How come there's something like a houseboat moored there though? Special permission ? 

As its out of Boating Season while the River is running Hight at this time for any Boats getting under Wroxham Bridge as to near the side Bridge, there's that Pilot pick point service I wonder if you can  still moor up there for a while or over night? Until the New Boating season starts  again 

3 minutes ago, Andrewcook said:

As its out of Boating Season while the River is running Hight at this time for any Boats getting under Wroxham Bridge as to near the side Bridge, there's that Pilot pick point service I wonder if you can  still moor up there for a while or over night? Until the New Boating season starts  again 

I don't think I'd chance it. We felt guilty just mooring up for half an hour or so. 

27 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

There's a short dyke beside the the Staithe where you pick up the pilot. It says it's for small unpowered craft only.

Thats where i meant. I didnt know it was for unpowered craft only. Is this a new thing? 

5 minutes ago, Lulu said:

Thats where i meant. I didnt know it was for unpowered craft only. Is this a new thing? 

Don't know. First time I've tried mooring there. We left Graham on board just in case someone turned up to object to us mooring there. 

1 minute ago, LizG said:

The houseboat lives there with permission of the parish council. I think it's name is Heather and it very old (I think I'm correct but happy to be corrected)

That's good to know. She looks very well maintained.

Having looked at the weather forecast for Friday, we have booked a slot at Boulter's for refuel and pump out tomorrow instead of Friday. Don't fancy trying to get into Boulter's in winds of 40mph+. 

We'll be going home tomorrow evening instead of Friday afternoon. 

Sounds sensible Helen. Shame to go home early but at least you had two weeks. The weather has been so changeable. I got out for a walk in the sunshine at lunchtime and then the next time I looked out of the windows it was cloudy and grey again. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YnysMon said:

I don't think I'd chance it. We felt guilty just mooring up for half an hour or so. 

Jay (former MS Syndicate chairman) used to moor there overnight and be gone before the pilots started in the morning.

I’m going to ask the pilot sometime when the season starts. About mooring on the front, after hours and winter time, not down the side. I expect the answer is ‘not allowed’. 
I saw that little houseboat, funny looking little thing. I presumed it was a narrowboat of some sort. I thought it was something to do with the hotel wroxham, like an outdoor coffee stall or something.