Water Level At Ludham Bridge

Hi - hoping someone in the know will be able to help..... we are due to collect our boat on Friday for week. I know several people have commented about the water levels at the moment being high...... I wondered if anyone was in the know re what Ludham bridge is likely to be, now and/or over the next 10 days, at high water so I understand worse case?

The boat says 8ft 4ins is required and I am aware that the signs are not perfectly accurate.

Any help appreciated - just trying to plan re where we will and won't be able to go...... Thanks

If you want real data from the last few days check out the EA measuring stations. There isn't one at Ludham. Nearby ones are Ranworth Broad and Barton Broad

https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/station/6215

https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/station/6216

You can at least see recent trends here. Natural neap/spring tide cycles and the weather, especially forecast rain will make a difference going forward.

• Like 1

Unless the BA have repositioned the markers, so they are now accurate, they were both out.  Heading from the Bure, the markers were about 6 inches out, so if 8ft is showing, there was actually about 8ft 6 ins clearance.  Heading from Barton Broad, the marker was about 3ins adrift, so reading 8ft, there was about 8ft 3ins clearance.  Those figures were as we found when on our boat in the area last September.

It would be difficult to predict what the river levels will be like by the weekend.  They are affected by a number of things, including rainfall and wind (strength and direction).  If you need any help, the guy who runs the boatyard at the bridge (I think his name is Jason) will help, if required.

Not Jason for the last few years but George. The gauges have been out for a number of years. We need 8’ 7in to get under but we went under at 8’ 4 showing 10 days ago with 5in to spare.

John 

Hi On your approach look along the highest part of boat if you can see the far side you will get through if not stop and reverse if going through as you get under open throttle fully this will dig the water from under the boat and give you another couple of inches if your boat is large and your going against the currant slowly you will rise up a couple of inches if you dawdle. John

There was just over 8' this morning showing on the board coming downstream. We need 8' with our roof up and had no problems. We didn't measure it, but we definitely had at least 3-6 inches clearance.

i actually measured the bridge last year, if the cills either side are visible, there is 8 foot clearance from those to the top, there is actually a 2" difference from the water to the top of the bridge from side to side.