Taking A Gander At Goosander

Tuesday 28th February

The sun was out as I said good morning to Acle, though it soon became cloudy and hid behind the greyness. The oil-filled radiator had switched off sometime overnight, so clearly, the "meter had run out". The difference in the warmth of the boat when the sun isn't shining is huge. It wasn't worth putting another £1's worth on the meter, so I opted to switch to the diesel heating, and put the gas rings on for a bacon sandwich and a hot cup of tea. There was no rush to move off as I was aiming for Potter Heigham for lunch and indeed, overnight. I cast off around 10.30am, leaving the diesel heating to cope with the single figure temperatures outside. There wasn't much river traffic around, as you would expect in late February. Only the occasional Richardsons newer craft went past me en route to Potter. I wondered if with the closure of the various Ant moorings, I might find electric post availability harder to come by at Potter Heigham, and reasoned, as a last resort, I could go into Herbert Woods and pay the £20 so as to have access to the sparky stuff (yikes!). On arrival at the moorings opposite the yard entrance, I was pleasantly surprised to see just one other boat, an ex-Summercraft cruiser, sitting close to the two electric posts. So I moored alongside and had a look at the electric meters to be sure they were actually working. I returned with the cable and credited £2 this time, with the intention of checking the reading once more when I returned from an evening meal. 

What else are you going to do with time on your hands, other than visit Lathams, have coffee and cake at Bridgestones, followed by an investigatory walk around Herbert Woods? I'm sure this is a well-trodden path. I wasn't sure whether to eat at The Norada or The Falgate this evening. I like them both. To make my mind up, I reasoned the naughtiness of Bridgestones would be best compensated for with the extra walk required to get to and from The Falgate, so that was that! Back onboard, I had swapped diesel for electric heating and was just content to watch the odd boat movement until it was time for food. 

I set off for the Falgate in fading light, ensuring I had my torch with me for the return journey. On arrival, I was seated in the dining area, which is between the bar area and the games room, my point of entry. The place is huge and may I say, was very busy with what I perceived to be locals, all eating. I had steak and ale pie with chips, red cabbage and broccoli. It was delicious and hearty. I had a sort of chocolate torte/tart with ice cream for dessert. Overall the food was delightful and the staff were very attentive, given the size of the place and the running around they had to do to look after all the rooms. I did need the torch to get back. I checked the meter before getting onboard, which was down to about 20p, given that I'd left the oil-filled radiator on. I topped up with another card and hoped that would last me through the night. 

DSC05561.JPG

DSC05559.JPG

DSC05563.JPG

Busy place at any time of the year, that Bridgestones!
IMG_20230228_125931.jpg

IMG_20230228_130310.jpg

IMG_20230301_094600.jpg

I always found it difficult to tell the difference between HW dayboats and it's cruiser class. If you look down the line, you can see the rear window is a little longer on the furthest away boat.
IMG_20230301_094600~2.jpg

• Like 12

I always seem to sit the side of the table that faces the counter. My husband laughs at me peering round him and reading the labels. But as we’re usually there in the morning it tends to be a fruit scone for me. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SwanR said:

I always seem to sit the side of the table that faces the counter. My husband laughs at me peering round him and reading the labels. But as we’re usually there in the morning it tends to be a fruit scone for me. 

Jean - life is too short for a fruit scone.      Have a slice of that Black Forest Gateau.

:398_cake::398_cake:

• Love 1

25 minutes ago, DAVIDH said:

my problem is I know I can only choose one...but really want to try two or three of the others too.

I'm glad I stay healthy and never come out of The Falgate when I am at Potter Heigham as those cakes look like they would do serious damage to my waistline :default_biggrin:

Enjoying your story and pictures very much DavidH

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wednesday 1st March.

Whoohoo, upon rising, checked the oil-filled radiator which was still on. Cloudy upon drawing back the curtains, so no sun to heat the boat up. Breakfast was a toasted teacake and a cup of tea this morning. You perhaps can see a theme here. Breakfast is always something that involves the use of the gasses to assist the warming of the boat. The electricity was still live - I hadn't been cut off - the bailiffs hadn't needed to force entry! So the heaters were still contributing. I was halfway through eating the tea cake when there was a click, and the heaters went off. Oh well, it was good while it lasted. I switched to diesel and continued. 

Earlier in the week I had seen that the weather for Stalham was a minimum of 5c overnight so I had planned to go there today and manage without an electric supply. However, the BBC this morning was telling me to expect a minimum overnight now of +1c. No way Pedro (Fools and Horses won't put up with that). So I considered cruising on to Ranworth, where I had intended to spend the following evening. I remember reading on this very forum that the Maltsters was closed Monday to Thursdays, so I checked their Facebook page, which showed opening hours now for Wednesday to Sunday, and thought well that's a plan! So with nothing left on the electric meter, I cast off and made a slow journey out of Potter, arriving at Ranworth around 1pm. There were a few hire boats already moored so I reasoned, others must have the same plan as me. I approached the moorings and turned ready to reverse into a spot at the end of the quay, before it turns 90 degrees towards the taxi rank side on mooring? The wind was very strong, blowing across the moorings and each time I corrected the stern so it was perpendicular with the quay, I was blown around again. At the third attempt, people from a Broadlander moored "around the corner" had noticed my discomfort and stood on the quay to grab my ropes, should I ever get within spitting distance. Eventually I did, and their assistance was much appreciated. Note to self...need to find a way of being in two places at once when solo mooring in these conditions - that or rely on assistance from holidaymakers who are fed up of all the reversing noise, or worse still are imagining I'm going to tee-bone their boat if I get it catastrophically wrong. 

So catastrophe avoided, I hooked up, credited my 2 x £1 electric cards, then went online to book a table at the Maltsters...well actually request a table. They get back to you I subsequently found out. While waiting, I made lunch and admired the open view of Malthouse Broad. I like the walk around the nature trail, so I put my coat on, turned the heating off and set out for the entrance to the boardwalk. I was passing The Maltsters, so I thought I might as well go in to confirm the booking. How discombobulating was it to find the door locked, and a notice showing the hours of opening as Friday to Sunday? I returned to Goosander and decided to contact the place find out one way or another if it would be open. I tried telephoning, whereupon the answerphone message informed me they were open Wednesday to Sunday over the winter. Couldn't speak to a human being, so I emailed for clarification. They did get back within 30 mins to say they were definitely closed. Not sure what to do next - I always want somewhere to eat out on an evening - I decided to do the boardwalk, in the hope that the fresh air would clear my mind. By 4.30pm, I was back onboard and with the limited daylight left, had decided to go back to the home mooring, which was just 45 mins away and with gushing electricity to fight the 0c temperature due overnight. So I unhooked the unused £2 electricity supply (grrr) and left the moorings. 

Goosander was all tucked up on her moorings by 5.30pm, and I had decided to drive to the Sutton Staithe Hotel for my evening meal. The reservation was for 6.30pm so I didn't have much time to spare. It was dark when I set off, and the sat-nav took me down many unlit narrow lanes, but I eventually pulled up outside at 6.25pm. I noticed at least two boats moored opposite the green, one of them with lights on. I can only surmise that they had been happy to be marooned in there for the duration of the works. I've always liked the Sutton Staithe Hotel, so it was a treat to be eating there after all. Having said that, there were just 4 dishes on the menu. I chose fish and chips with mushy peas, which even came with 2 slices of farmhouse bread. So full after that! Couldn't face a pudding. Eventually, I drove back the way I came, ably assisted by the sat-nav (I'd still be driving around now if not for her directions), arriving back at Goosander around 9pm. 

Just realise I have very few photos of the day, with all the messing around. 

The lane leading to the boardwalkIMG_20230301_150034.jpg

Within the nature trail
IMG_20230301_150856.jpg

IMG_20230301_151642.jpg

The Sutton Staithe Hotel
The IMG_20230301_185751.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, amarevita said:

I'm glad I stay healthy and never come out of The Falgate when I am at Potter Heigham as those cakes look like they would do serious damage to my waistline

Just need to time it right....Bridgestones for lunch.....Falgate for dinner....sorted. 
Welcome to the forum by the way. 

Thursday 2nd March

Throwing back the curtains revealed another cold overcast day. I'd been snug overnight though with the "always on" electricity supply. Well, my planned itinerary had been thrown out of the window a couple of days ago, so I decided I would cruise up to Wroxham and spend a couple of hours there before returning to the moorings and starting the process of extracting myself and my belongings from the boat tomorrow morning. Unless you go under Wroxham bridge, there's a paucity of moorings for private craft. I didn't want to pay £20 (?) to moor outside the Wroxham Hotel for a couple of hours, so I planned to moor at the Bridge Pilot moorings, which as you will be aware, is not in operation until Easter. I wasn't going far, so there was no rush to get there. In fact, I don't think I got over 4mph on the whole trip. As I rounded the bend before the "pilot mooring", I could see a boat had occupied the side dyke but the front was free, so I moored alongside, tied up and went for a walk around the kingdom of Roys - and Barnes Brinkcraft and Faircraft....just in case they had changed since I was there last Sunday. You never know! 

You know what it's like when your return home is not that far away, you examine the fridge and see all the food you bought which you cannot possibly eat in the intervening hours. Well, knowing some starving kid would be glad of it (so my mum used to tell me), I determined that I should not join the ducks and swans eating chips on the adjacent quay, I should make a sandwich and eat the Eccles cake which was still languishing in the fridge. Just the other side of the quayside picket fence, a couple was surrounded by throngs of seagulls, ducks, and swans. I watched as they fed them a bag of chips they seemed to have purchased especially for the little guys. The man had seagulls on his arm, and I wondered if he was a trainee magician, looking to bag a few to stick up his sleeve. Eventually, the chips had been devoured and all at once, the birds spotted me with a sandwich in my hand and started to throng the decks of Goosander. I put it down and had to go out numerous times to chase them off. Didn't want them leaving their calling cards all over the boat. One particularly belligerent seagull,  just wouldn't get the message and kept returning each time I chased it away. There's always one! I ended up eating my food with the curtain closed to the quayside. 

By 2.30 pm, I was ready to return to Horning, so I cast off and made my way back out of Wroxham. Goosander was deposited in her home berth once more and the umbilical cord reconnected. For the final evening meal, I booked a table at The Swan Inn, at the other end of the village. I had to take the car as it was really cold and of course, dark. This is a really nice sparkly place, with a roaring fire to make you feel warm and cosy. I had chicken and pancetta pie (with a puff pastry lid), roasted carrots, mash, and broccoli, followed by the coffee and mini pudding option, which was a raspberry crumble. This turned out to be the best meal of the holiday. In all the 50 years, I had never eaten here before. What had I been missing? Suitably stuffed, I made my way back to Goosander, did a little packing, and then watched Dragons Den and The Apprentice on TV. 

Making a splash on Wroxham Broad
DSC05572.JPG

The boats are interesting, as they're pedal powered.
IMG_20230226_150411~2.jpg

IMG_20230302_123303.jpg

The old Porter and Haylett yard
IMG_20230302_133855.jpg

IMG_20230302_132813.jpg

This is Bridge Broad. Never walked around here before
IMG_20230302_133821.jpg

DSC05516.JPG

• Like 11

Friday 3rd March (50th Anniversary of my first visit remember) 

I awoke expecting to hear a brass band playing outside the boat, and to see the Lord Mayor ready to present me with a plaque for my endeavours, but as I drew back the curtains, my only audience was an overflying heron which did make me jump. It was also drizzling with rain, which is not a bad thing on your last day aboard. I think I've pointed out before that the previous occupants always leave the windows sparklingly clean, inside and out. Rain against the panes, means the outside does not have to be as thorough. I had booked a pump out and refuel slot at Boulters for 9am, so I had breakfast, did some more packing then extricated Goosander from her little shoebox of a mooring and took her around for the service. It was tricky reversing into such a tight space, but at least they were expecting me. For those interested in these things, I paid £17 for the pump out and £1.64 per litre of fuel amounting to £31.16 for the diesel. Not bad considering I had used the diesel heating at times too.  The last manoeuvre of the holiday is to replace Goosander back in her mooring. I savoured that short trip down one dyke and up the next one. The holiday was over. 

I was away by 11.15 pm and decided I would call at The White Heron in Brundall for lunch before setting off for Leeds. I used to visit The Yare in much the same circumstances, so this would be a learning exercise. I wasn't sure the place was even open as I looked across from the car park, as the frosted glass in the door gave nothing away. I pushed the door and entered to find the place fuller on a lunchtime than I remember the Yare ever was. There were ladies with young children, more with elderly parents and men having business lunches I guess. It all made for a welcoming experience. I had a steak baguette with salad and a side of french fries (skinny chips really). I really enjoyed it and will definitely return. That concludes my report. I'm next back on Goosander in August when I'm expecting my electric card usage to have taken a nosedive, and the frostbite to have healed! 

Love the look of thes holiday homes, as you're leaving Wroxham.
DSC05569.JPG

The Swan in Horning
DSC05573.JPG

This was outside the shed at Horning Pleasurecraft. Not just boats they like restoringIMG_20230302_161900.jpg

The Dutch Cottage in Horning. I always though this looks great. Quite expensive thoughIMG_20230302_163242.jpg

Inside the White Heron in Brundall. Not my last visit!
IMG_20230303_122019.jpg

IMG_20230303_130006.jpg

Tell's you what it is!
IMG_20230303_131543.jpg

thats all.jpg

• Like 11

2 hours ago, SwanR said:

If you like The Swan at Horning it’s worth signing up to the app for the chain they belong to. I often get offers through such as 50% off mains Monday to Friday. 

Thanks Jean. I have it...Vintage Inns. That's what made me try it. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I've been home a week now so thought I should start writing my tale. I was solo aboard Goosander, a syndicate boat that I own a share of. The weather forecast for the week was generally good, with noteworthy highs of around 28/29c from Saturday to Monday inclusive. And so it turned out to be though Tuesday turned out to be an outlier as you will read later. 

Saturday 9th September

The middle two weeks of September turned out to be busier than August, with virtually all hire boats taken. As such, I decided I would head south for most of the trip. I'd arrived in Horning around 2 pm from Leeds, including a shopping expedition at Morrisons in Norwich en route. The journey was very hot and humid and I didn't fancy the thought of loading the boat and then getting behind the wheel for another two-hour journey down to Acle, so I stayed put on the moorings for Saturday night. I have an electricity connection and considered I would be able to use a desktop fan I'd brought with me through the night if it got too hot. 

I wasn't able to book a table at the New Inn, my original first choice as they won't accept reservations for tables for one on a Saturday. Fair enough. So at 6.30 pm, I meandered around (on foot) to The Ferry Inn. The sun was dropping so it wasn't as hot, but still pleasant enough to grab a table outside. As you can see from the image below, many others were enjoying the evening air, and lots of boats were double-moored. The food was good. I stayed for a couple of drinks then made my way back to Goosander, opening the wheelhouse and doors to let the oven-baked inside cool down. The tops stayed back until around 10 p.m. 

Wroxham from the Bridge

IMG_20230909_164742~2.jpg

IMG_20230909_164540.jpg

The Ferry Inn Horning terrace.

IMG_20230909_191233.jpg

Ferry Inn Horning.jpeg

• Like 14

Oh the days of lovely hot weather.    At least you knew what to wear, whereas now it is all hit and miss, you either go out without enough on or too much and start stripping off.       Thank you David for your holiday tale and I for one cannot wait to hear the remainder.      I suppose two things with September being popular, price often drops after August and the ankle biters have gone back to school and you are thinking peace and quiet.   May be everyone else had the same idea.     We were on holiday on the 18th for four nights and of course had the usual Autumn storm and hurricane type winds.    The week before had been glorious.   Hubby caught a lot of Carp, (this was from a fishing lodge).     He was thrilled as normally catches the odd Perch etc.      Did you do any fishing?

• Like 2

Sunday 10th September

It had been a warm humid night and I was glad I'd brought the fan with me. The plan today was to head down the Bure to Acle for a night stop, with a short detour up to Ludham Bridge for lunch. Aware of the armada now sweeping across the Broads, I was going to time my arrival at my various stops to avoid finding a lack of mooring space. So I didn't need to set off from base until around 10.00 to arrive at Ludham Bridge around 11.15/11.30. That time came and having cast Goosander adrift, I slowly made my way out of the marina and onto the Bure highway. I slotted into a battalion of boats heading south, allowing some of them to overtake me as I cruised along at no more than 4mph. It was a beautiful day, so the top was open from the start. Soon enough I was passing under Ludham Bridge, with very little resistance from oncoming craft, and looking out for a space to tie up. There was ample space just past the bridge on the left bank, a few meters from the mast/demast moorings. 

So once alongside and made fast, I settled into just watching the world go by. I was disappointed that neither of the video camera operatives was there to record my arrival as I nonchalantly stepped ashore, belying the fact that I had been turning the wheel frantically to avoid the bow hitting the bank seconds earlier. You really do see the world go by in this bottleneck location. There was a little bit of nudging from time to time, but everyone seemed to be respectful, waiting to get through. Soon it was my turn. I worked out that a good time to arrive at Acle (I wanted to be on the authority moorings) would be between 2.30 and 3pm. Hopefully, some diners would have departed and those stopping for the night would still be to arrive. A 180-degree turn was called for, so looking as best I could under the bridge for oncoming traffic, I went for it, turned around, and departed Ludham Bridge for another few months. I was with the tide on the Bure, so I cooled my speed to between 4 and 5mph, even in the faster zone so as to not arrive too soon. Even so, I still found the moorings coming into view around 2.30 pm. Thankfully, there was still a couple of spots to choose from so I turned into the stream and came alongside in the largest of the two spaces. 

Ropes secured and tops well and truly open, I just enjoyed the spectacle of the passing craft until it was time to trundle over to the Bridge Inn for my evening meal. I had reserved a table for one the previous day (New Inn take note). I was seated in the bar area close to where Phil, the owner(?) stands to greet customers. I was thankful I had booked as I watched Phil decline space for a steady stream of visitors who wanted to eat. The food, as always, was good. My only gripe about the Bridge Inn is that the menu is nearly always the same from year to year and they don't seem to have specials in the summer. I thought about it, considering maybe I should stop at The Ferry Inn at Stokesby instead on some future cruise should the online menu still be showing the old favourites. I was back at the boat by 8.30 pm just relaxing, staring out of the open wheelhouse at the night sky. What a lovely day it had been.

Ludham Bridge. Watched as this classic yacht design came in to lower it's sails.

DSC05609.JPG

IMG_20230910_120423.jpg

IMG_20230910_120646.jpg

IMG_20230910_120749~2.jpg

Acle Broads Authority moorings. It looked like a storm was developing. Thankfully, it bypassed Acle.
IMG_20230910_181139.jpg

IMG_20230910_182750.jpg

Photo number 3,255 of The Bridge Inn at Acle.
IMG_20230910_194628.jpg

• Like 11