Taking A Gander At Goosander

Enjoying reading about your trip David, and seeing all your photos. I love Beccles. Something very special about it to me as it was one of our first destinations on our 2012 trip on SR1. We spent two glorious days there in warm June sunshine. 

• Like 2

Wednesday 23rd March
Beccles to Waveney River Centre to St Olaves

The sun was up well before me, and had already warmed a comatose Goosander. The weather was forecast to be glorious today, with temperatures around 18c. It is March you know! After breakfast, I visited the harbourmaster's office to pay my dues, including the £2 electricity card, which was much appreciated (by me I mean). I filled up with water, then with the canopy fully open, set sail (not literally) for The Waveney River Centre. The river was tranquil and the journey down the Waveney was so peaceful and relaxing. On the way up, I noticed a cruiser moored on the outside of the marina and thought that would be ideal if it was available. On approaching, it was clear that it was. There looks to be a water point there, but the hose had been removed, so I figured it would be OK to moor there for an hour or so. 

The WRC rang out with sounds of circular saws, banging and clattering, as the owners prepared for paying visitors. The shops, pool and bar were all still closed, but it made for an interesting walk around the site, which was bathed in warm sunshine. I settled back with a ham salad sandwich, and a glass of coke, while watching the orphaned reeds and bubbles drifting slowly past Goosander's hull. A holiday afloat on the Broads, really brings your pace of life down. I always come home more relaxed than with any other holiday. 

I cast off and made my way towards St Olaves. This had been the best day of the trip. The sun was warm, the winds were light, and as the journey wasn't particularly long today, I took it steady.  The river was empty apart from one or two private craft. I passed the other end of the New Cut, noticing the buoys that had been strung across to stop anyone entering. Shortly after, i could see a small cabin cruiser floating sideways down from St Olaves Bridge. The onboard couple didn't seem too perturbed by this, which I thought was odd. I came alongside to seethe husband fantically trying to restart his outboard... but no avail. I asked if they would like a tow, to which his wife gratefully accepted. We tied up alongside each other to give more control, and headed against a fairly strong current to the boatyard opposite the BA  moorings next to the windmill. I untied and the chap's boat glided to his mooring. (within 15 mins, he had diagnosed a loose pipe somewhere and was back on his way. 

I went across to my moorings for the night, and was thankful that the only meter working was not being used by the Broom Captain that was already occupying the moorings. Soon after, the Broom was on his way back down towards Breydon. While I was fiddling around with the electric cable, and Goosander's ropes, another Broom Captain approached the moorings. The lady of the boat asked how far the town centre was?????? I explained that this was as good as it gets, and they decided to carry on to Oulton Broad. Having just come under the bridge, and seen the available headroom, I told them to check they would be OK to get under as they approach. My attention was then alerted to a crunch and the sound of scraping, as the Broom clearly didn't have enough headroom. He didn't come back, so must have forced it through. Not long after ANOTHER Broom Captain moored up for the night, behind Goosander. I'd seen three in the space of an hour, and was wondering how many were actually out. Clearly a winning design.

For the remainder of the afternoon, I just enjoyed the peaceful location, watching the odd boat go by, with the wheelhouse still open. the tide runs fast through St Olaves, and I always get the impression of what it would be like to moor in some coastal community. I'd called the Bell Inn to see if they recommended booking a table, but that was not necessary. When I arrived at 6.30pm, there were around 6 tables occupied throughout the building. I had a massive beer battered fish of the day (haddock), chips and mushy peas, followed by a flavour of cheesecake I can't recall. It was wonderfully cooked (with, as I had requested, the skin removed both sides (Yorkshire thing), and was made to feel very welcome by the staff. Then it was back to the boat via the narrow unlit passageway behind the chalets (torch required). Heating on, TV on...... you know the drill by now! 

Beccles from the Yacht Station
Beccles1.jpg

Beccles3.jpg

Beccles5.jpg

Beccles7.jpg

DSC04949.JPG

DSC04960.JPG

Somewhere near Aldeby i presume
DSC04963.JPG

What's the story behind this - one of the Millenium beacons?
DSC04965.JPG

Waveney River Centre
DSC04973.JPG

DSC04976.JPG

DSC04977.JPG

Waveney River Centre1.jpg

Waveney River Centre5.jpg

Waveney River Centre10.jpg

Waveney River Centre12.jpg

Waveney River Centre14.jpg

St Olaves, and that windmill which is so easy to miss Andy.
DSC04985.JPG

• Like 9

15 hours ago, DAVIDH said:

St Olaves, and that windmill which is so easy to miss Andy.
DSC04985.JPG

808654849_QueenofHeartswhere2.thumb.jpeg.eaa92a0504c38be2a922cb86df956ae4.jpeg

It's been there quite a while, too!

I think this was 1953, when the staithe was still in commercial use. The boat is the Queen of Hearts, one of the first 3 hire boats on the Broads with a diesel engine.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Vaughan said:

The boat is the Queen of Hearts, one of the first 3 hire boats on the Broads with a diesel engine.

That's interesting Vaughan. Clearly, diesel was the way to go. At the time, did it catch on easily or were people wary of diesel with all those other boats being petrol?  Were there adequate refueling points with so few being diesel? 1953, my year of birth. I think I can just about make out the twinkle in my dad's eye in that photo! 

• Like 1

Hearts put the first diesels in the new Knave and Ten of Hearts in 1949, followed by the Queen in 1950.  They were a Turner V2 on a Parsons gearbox, but the vibration was awful and all the boats were later fitted with the Coventry Victor Vixen, flat twin, for which Hearts were local agents.

At the end of the 40s petrol was still heavily rationed and very costly but diesel wasn't, so it was a big selling point.  No problem with filling up as the boat would easily do 2 weeks on a tank full.

Did it take time to catch on?  Yes.  Things always do on the Broads!  In the late 60s, I am sure a good half of Jenners fleet of 200 boats, still had petrol engines.

• Like 2

Thursday 24th March
St Olaves to Stokesby to Potter Heigham

I don't know why, but I always seem to sleep well at St Olaves. Maybe it's that the nearest road is far enough away to not hear the traffic, and there's not much in the way of street lighting. It was to be another warm and sunny day, and the rays streamed inside Goosander as I opened the curtains. As my time on Goosander was ending in a couple of days, I reasoned now was as good a time as any to have another cooked breakfast. Why is it that sausages always taste much better fried on a boat? By the time I'd finished cooking, the kitchen was in a mess, but it was all in a good cause. With the electric connection, the water is always piping hot (too hot at times), so washing up was done before I set off from the moorings. 

The tide was flowing out as I departed, so once more, I just needed to stow the electric charge cable, untie the ropes and step onboard. The bow thrusters pushed Goosander out into the river, and I was on my way to Yarmouth. I was going to stop at Burgh Castle to take aerial images of the moorings there, but they were still fenced off from use. The aerial shots are for my website by the way. I have forty village maps listed and over the last three to four years, I've managed to film 33 of them (including those of this trip, which will be added later). I'm hoping to complete the list by the end of the year, when the new drone regulations come in. At that time, I will not be able to use my current drone, as it's over 250 grams and will need to decide whether or not to go for one under 250, similar to the one Mouldy uses. 

I was cruising along with the canopy open. Breydon was calm and smooth and a joy to be on. I didn't pass one boat. On turning onto the Bure, the current slowed me down, though not excessively. There was 9 feet of headroom under the bridges, so no problems there. As you know, the Yacht Station is closed until April, but I wondered if, on a subsequent winter trip, I could still tie up there for a few hours, and walk into town. So as I passed, I scanned each exit, and determined that you can't. Each exit point, including the one near the White Swan pub (as was), had high mobile fencing secured to it. You can stop, but you can't leave the site! Soon Stokseby came into sight, and the whole of the moorings next to the Ferry Inn was free. But so was the local staithe next to the playground. I had never moored there before, so this was my chance. I came alongside, stepped ashore and  secured the boat. A couple of ladies were having a picnic on the grass nearby, and I thought that summed the day up nicely. 

After a later than normal lunch, which was just as well, as my full English breakfast was just that, I set off for Potter Heigham. Many of the riverside chalets were being worked on, making ready for the season's imminent start. On arrival the BA moorings, just before the bridge, there was a couple of spaces close to each post. I chose one, and turned Goosander into the now incoming stream, mooring just opposite the Herbert Woods footbridge. All plugged in and secure, I made my way to that Aladdin's cave known as Lathams. On the way, I checked that The Norada would be open for food in the evening, and sadly had to walk past Bridgestones, as it was already around 4.30pm, and too close to my next meal. It had been a long day's cruising to get here. What can you say about Lathams. You will spend money - I defy you not to! I bought a couple of gifts and a screwdriver with alternative heads concealed in the screw on cap, just in case I might need it?????? 

Around 7ish, I returned to the Norada, which was already around half full, and found a table. The head guy there Costa I think his name is, was very welcoming, not just to me, but others who came along. I chose a cottage pie, which was delightful, followed by a chocolate orange cheesecake. I hope the place does well this year. You can tell the owner is investing on a long term basis to make the place a success. I stayed for around 90 minutes, then returned to Goosander for the remainder of the evening.

Burgh Castle  - Goodchild's yard
DSC04998.JPG

Fisherman's Inn. It's bigger than you think!
DSC05000.JPG

DSC05004.JPG

The Ferry Inn at Stokesby
DSC05006.JPG

DSC05008.JPG

Approaching Potter Heigham
DSC05011.JPG

Too early for The Grand National!
DSC05012.JPG

DSC05014.JPG

This was moored right next to me Alan
DSC05015.JPG

DSC05021.JPG

DSC05022.JPG

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

@DAVIDH I was going to quote your post and edit out all of the unnecessary stuff, but it would have taken too long!  The classification of the drone rules has yet to be resolved.  EASA (the European equivalent of the CAA) has already deferred the intro the new drone categories for another period (two years, I think).  The CAA have yet to announce their decision, but largely due to the pandemic, the build standards for drones this side of the pond have not been confirmed, so as yet no C marked drones (not to be confused with CE marked) are available.  Its rumoured that we may follow suit in the UK as the result.

There is also rumoured to be a new DJI Mini drone (sub 249gms) soon, so if you do decide to buy a new one anyway, it’s likely that there will be significant improvements in the new model to make it a worthwhile purchase.

2 hours ago, Mouldy said:

I was going to quote your post and edit out all of the unnecessary stuff, but it would have taken too long!  The classification of the drone rules has yet to be resolved.  EASA (the European equivalent of the CAA) has already deferred the intro the new drone categories for another period (two years, I think).  The CAA have yet to announce their decision, but largely due to the pandemic, the build standards for drones this side of the pond have not been confirmed, so as yet no C marked drones (not to be confused with CE marked) are available.  Its rumoured that we may follow suit in the UK as the result.

I didn't know any of that. Thanks Malcolm. 

22 minutes ago, DAVIDH said:

I didn't know any of that. Thanks Malcolm. 

The uk body thats helping define the rules for drones is the British Model Flying Association (BMFA), you can google their website for more info.

If you join as a member you also get comprehensive insurance cover. I'm a member to allow me to fly in F3A model aircraft aerobatic competitions.

Integral_F3A.jpg

2 minutes ago, Karizma said:

The uk body thats helping define the rules for drones is the British Model Flying Association (BMFA), you can google their website for more info.

If you join as a member you also get comprehensive insurance cover. I'm a member to allow me to fly in F3A model aircraft aerobatic competitions.

There is also FPVUK:  https://fpvuk.org

Becoming a member and taking and passing a simple online test also gives additional flying rights and reduced separation distances, not to mention Public Liability Insurance whilst flying.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Karizma said:

1 hour ago, Mouldy said:

There is also FPVUK:  https://fpvuk.org

Thanks both. I'm already a member of FPVUK. I just wasn't aware that there was a potential hiccup to the new implementation. 

• Like 1