Taking A Gander At Goosander

8 hours ago, DAVIDH said:

Thanks both. I'm already a member of FPVUK. I just wasn't aware that there was a potential hiccup to the new implementation. 

I’ve checked the EASA website and the new date for full implementation of the new rules is now January 2024, so just pushed back by one year.  Not sure whether the CAA will do the same, but as no C marked drones are available, it would badly impact the hobby in the UK.

• Like 1

I remember hippersons old yard that was the other side of the bridge. We use to hire kingsway from  poolcraft. Hippersons where a little futher along the river towards the bridge if I remember correctly. Hired Aston Songbird from Beccles not long before they closed. Its a real shame not seeing there distinctive boats out on the rivers. There Loddon yard was such a busy place back in the 70s. 

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, pastboating said:

Hired Aston Nelson a number of times from Beccles in the late 80's, GRP hull and wooden top. Although not the newest of hire boats always in great condition from a very welcoming and well organised yard

image.thumb.png.4c7df17ea05a9744c6565550aaf32919.png

My father was a big fan of Aston boats. I remember when they started building the new GRP boats. They had several hulls sitting on the field by the old office. Like I said a very busy yard back then. I loved the old Thames class I finally got round to hiring one, it was Princess cruises tho not Aston. Shame they disappeared, I always struggle to understand why such popular busy yards dissappear. They seemed to build new boats each year. 

1 hour ago, Boatingman said:

Memories there Andy

I always liked the look of Kingsway

I agree with you 're Astons hired many times from Aston's both Beccles and Loddon

Ray

Kingsway was a lovely old boat that we hired quite a bit until they packed up. I use to love starting from Beccles. The southern rivers seemed more interesting to me back then, especially the journey up the chet to Loddon. Which back then was quite a thriving hire base location. I don't think I have any bad childhood memories of broads holidays. My father decided to try an overseas holiday one year and shipped us all off to Spain. Absolute disaster lol..we all got a tummy bug we had horrendous weather our flight home was delayed by 14hrs. Guess where the following year's summer holiday was lol..we all agree we'd had enough of that flying lark. 

• Like 2

Friday 25th March
Potter Heigham to Ranworth to Horning

It had been another cold night, but it seemed that was the price to pay for a glorious sunny morning. There was no rush to move on, as Ranworth was not that far away. Purely in the interests of avoiding waste, I got the frying pan out again and made myself a sausage sandwich. Did I mention how good fried sausages taste on a boat? I wanted to buy a newspaper, so I returned to Lathams and managed to check-out with just one copy of The "I" before having a wander around the Herberts Woods boatyard. Wow, they have a lot of boats don't they? Their entrance, under the footbridge, must be like Clapham Junction on a Saturday afternoon. 

Back at the boat, I disconnected the electric charging cable, untied the ropes, and made my way back down the Thurne. The northern rivers were a little busier than the south, and as I was cruising sedately along, I wondered if Ranworth, normally a basket case job for getting a mooring, might be difficult even at this time of the year. I turned down the dyke leading to Ranworth, resisting the urge to cruise faster than the virtual tick-over I was currently at. In the distance, I could see lots of room at the staithe. I chose to moor at the first space down the right hand side, so as to be able to overlook the Broad and not have the view obscured by another arriving craft. (So not what I've seen described as "the taxi rank" end). All tied up, I put the kettle on and made myself a sandwich with what was still remaining in the fridge. By the time the kettle had boiled, three more cruisers had arrived and moored stern on at the front(?) of the staithe. 

After lunch, I walked down to the visitor centre, which was still closed at this time of the year. It was warm and sunny, and all manner of flying insects were milling around with confused expressions on their faces, probably just as surprised as me that it was still March. I noticed the grebes, normally quite shy, were more evident. Maybe they were entertaining their prospective partners in the Spring sunshine. It was a joy to be out and about. I returned to the moorings, purchased a mint-choc-chip ice cream from the Granary Stores and sat idly on the picnic tables watching the comings and goings. 

Back on Goosander, I set off across Malthouse Broad, and was soon out onto the Bure. From there it's only a short cruise up to Horning where Goosander lives, so enjoying cruising with the canopy wide open, I took it slow. You wouldn't be able to get away with that on a summer Saturday afternoon. Those behind would be cursing my perceived blocking maneuvres. I didn't want to turn down the Ferry Marina dyke, back to the home mooring while the weather was so good, so I opted to continue on, to see if I could get in at Horning Staithe, where I could perhaps do some disembarkation preparation. Even on a late March afternoon, the staithe was full. I remembered that there's one or two moorings just past where Southern Comfort lives, so cruised on and was surprised to see a space. I did a 180 degree turn, and came in to moor a few feet behind the (pretend) paddle steamer. A couple of years ago, I had filmed the area around The Ferry Inn, but hadn't got as far up as this end of Horning. So I literally just stepped ashore and launched the drone to get the shots I needed. Within 30 minutes, I had cast off and was making my way back to Goosander's moorings. Turning down the dyke, I felt sad it was all coming to an end, but satisfied myself that it wouldn't be the last cruise this holiday, as I would need to get the boat out and around to Boulters tomorrow morning for a refuel and pump out. It's a little tricky getting to our home mooring, involving reversing in to a tight space, alongside a finger pontoon, but I've done it a few times now, and I arrived without mishap. 

I started preparing for my departure in the morning. By around 6.30pm, I was ready for food. I had visited The Ferry Inn on my way in, and wanted to try the The New Inn this time, both of which had seen a change of management for the new season. I walked down to the pub, with my little key ring torch in hand, as it was getting dark. On entering, the place was already quite busy, as were the moorings. I sat in the extension overlooking the river, but not actually on the terrace, so it was warm. I had an 8oz rump steak with chunky chips, onion rings, mushrooms and tomato. There was a lot on the plate, it was well cooked, and I thought it was good value. This was followed by a cherry brownie cheesecake, which was OK, but not quite to my liking. I thought it  was more of a brownie than a cheesecake. This is no detriment to the dish, just my personal taste. The previous management had a "gratuities included unless declined" policy. I noticed when paying by card that there is now an option to include or decline gratuities by pressing a button on the PDQ machine. I declined but left a small cash tip.  The service was friendly throughout, and I would return again. A torch is a necessity if you're not moored outside the New Inn.  It's a long walk back on a pitch black moonless night!

More tomorrow, as I take Goosander for her morning stroll, suffer a mugging at the diesel pump, and describe a new boating skill I'd acquired over the holiday.

My position on Ranworth Staithe i was trying to describe
DSC_01017.JPG

DSC05031copy.jpg

The walk down to the visitor centre
DSC05033.JPG

DSC05035.JPG

He looks poorly, but he was as lively as all the other butterflies
DSC05037.JPG

DSC05039.JPG

DSC05040.JPG

Dinner for two?
DSC05047COPYCOPY.jpg

DSC05052.JPG

Horning from the Swan Inn end
Horning3.jpg

Horning4.jpg

Horning11.jpg

Horning16.jpg

• Like 8

Saturday 26th March

I was up at 7am and straight on with preparing the boat for my departure. Breakfast was a bowl of cereal because I wasn't going to mess the cooker up after cleaning it yesterday evening. I had called Boulters yesterday to book Goosander in for it's "service", and could only get 9.30am - someone had already pre-booked 8.30am! So at 9.15am, I started the engine and made my way slowly around to the next dyke, where Boulters reside. You need to reverse into their yard, which makes it a slightly taxing manoevre. Having said that, I always enjoy the experience (assuming I don't hit a moored boat on the way in). The pump out and diesel for the week came to a total of £103. Ouch! That's around £25 more than I've ever paid before. Thanks Vlad. Suitable refreshed, Goosander was ready to be delivered (eventually) to her next owner. I restarted the engine and took a very long slow cruise back to our home berth. Once in place, it was all hands on deck (well two actually), to get the boat looking as sparkling outside as it did inside. Goosander is full of windows, and it's how pristine they look when first stepping aboard, that you notice first. No runs, no smears. They take ages to clean, but the results do look good. I was ready to vacate by 11am. The car had been re-packed and I was shortly on my way. 

I always have a midday meal before I set off home, and this used to be at The Yare in Brundall. For the moment at least, this is no more, so I decided to try The Rising Sun in Coltishall. It was another warm day, and having arrived at around 11.45am, the outside terrace had very few tables left. I still managed to get one next to the river though, thanks to a friendly waitress.... result!  I ordered the "Rising Sun 6oz Swannington Beef Burger with Maple Bacon, and Caramelised Onion". It was delicious, and accompanied by a cold pint of lager shandy, while overlooking the canoeists coming and going. A great last meal from the holiday. I went inside on the way to the car park, and was impressed with how smart the place looked. Definitely a last lunch location for future trips. Lunch being over, I climbed back into the car, and made my way, rather reluctantly, back home. 

I've realised that I missed out telling of a new boat handling skill I seem to have learned these last few days. Many years ago, when starting from Swancraft in Brundall, I can remember the guy who handed Swan Rapture over, demonstrated how to move the boat sideways with just bow thrusters. I never understood how this was done, but decided to investigate it, as the rivers were so quiet. So to get into a tight mooring say on the left hand side of the river, the idea is to stop opposite the space, give the throttle a short burst to kick the stern in towards the bank. At the same time, use the left operating bow thruster to move the bow in the same direction. To my amazement, it worked on the few occasions I tried it. I'm sure there are many on here who will already know and use this method, but for those who haven't come across it yet, give it a try, it works! That's all folks (until June that is)

No description necessary

DSC_10022.JPG

As I don't have other images from my last day, I thought I would include some mystery shots..... you need to say where they are taken/what they are of:
1. What pub is this?
DSC05049.JPG

2. Where would I see this street sign?
DSC04942.JPG

3. A monument... but where?
DSC04909.JPG

4. Where wsa this taken?DSC_10005.JPG

• Like 4

1 hour ago, andyg said:

I got the malsters and that was it lol..David is boulter yard the old kingline boatyard?? 

No, it’s along the dyke between Ferry Marina and Horning Pleasurecraft.  If you look at Google Maps (satellite view), it almost backs onto Clive’s.

6FF1CB6D-A65E-4298-9A3F-11F1FCCDC7EB.jpeg

16 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

No, it’s along the dyke between Ferry Marina and Horning Pleasurecraft.  If you look at Google Maps (satellite view), it almost backs onto Clive’s.

I don't think that's right Malcolm. The location is correct and I believe it is the old King Line yard. I hired from King Line a couple of times, and unless my mind is playing tricks, it was from there. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DAVIDH said:

I don't think that's right Malcolm. The location is correct and I believe it is the old King Line yard. I hired from King Line a couple of times, and unless my mind is playing tricks, it was from there. 

I pretty sure it was I also remember having problems trying to get into that tiny basin. They had a few big boats I seem to remember. A few ended up at herbert woods I think. 

They used to berth the Calypsos stern on in that little basin. I can remember arriving there one evening on another boat looking for a mooring. I had planned what I was going to do, and went in bow first to the space in front of their slip. Then tied the front rope tight and let the engine swing the stern out at 90 degrees so i could reverse down the line of Calypsos to the one remaining space. I had to get off the boat at that point and pull it into the space by hand. God knows why I chose to make it so difficult for myself. The bravado of youth I think. I certainly wouldn't try that now. 

One of their boats still exists and I think is still hired out by King Line Cottages. It's moored on the front next to one of the cottages. Malibu King?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DAVIDH said:

They used to berth the Calypsos stern on in that little basin. I can remember arriving there one evening on another boat looking for a mooring. I had planned what I was going to do, and went in bow first to the space in front of their slip. Then tied the front rope tight and let the engine swing the stern out at 90 degrees so i could reverse down the line of Calypsos to the one remaining space. I had to get off the boat at that point and pull it into the space by hand. God knows why I chose to make it so difficult for myself. The bravado of youth I think. I certainly wouldn't try that now. 

One of their boats still exists and I think is still hired out by King Line Cottages. It's moored on the front next to one of the cottages. Malibu King?

I’m probably wrong, but I thought King Line operated from where their cottages are.  To be honest, we never hired from them, but my perception was that they had a basin there.

I stand corrected.

Malcolm, they did actually buy the boatyard where the cottages are - I think it was Dale Line Cruisers, and I think that had a small similar basin. We moored there one year, while the site was being redeveloped. We were on a King Line boat, and at the time, the Ferry Inn moorings were already full.