Taking A Gander At Goosander

Enjoying your write up and seeing your photos. Have you ever watched  the Walk With Me Tim YouTube channel? He’s done a number of walks around Great Yarmouth if you’re interested in the area. 

Tuesday 21st June

The weather was definitely on the up from now. Higher temperatures and indeed it was warm from the moment I got up. The sun makes all the difference. The plan today was to go to St Olaves for lunch, and then on to Reedham for an overnight. Enroute I planned to stop at Burgh Castle for a short while, and fly the drone to get images of one of the last few mooring spots I still needed for my web page. So after breakfast, I filled up with water - the hose was literally right next to the boat - and prepared for my departure by rolling back the canopies, setting the speedometer app and having the radio ready to play on tap. The tide was running out still but at a  slow pace. It was around 10am when I approached one of the rangers to assist in casting Goosander off. There were other boats close in front and behind so why struggle? Interstingly, one of the guys said I could stay where I was until slack tide in an hour, with no extra charges. I had places to go, people to meet (?) so I declined and with the release of my stern rope, I reversed out and made my way under the bridges. It was a glorious warm morning and it was a pleasure to just cruise slowly out onto Breydon. The speed dropped to about 4mph, so with a slight increase in revs to get back up to 5mph, I made my way across in bright sunshine. It was a delight. I passed a few boats making the oposite journey, but not that many. I passed the line of bouys which had replaced the posts on the channel, but didn't think it was that confusing. They were all in a line, and it seemed pretty obvious where you should steer. Soon I was approaching the Burgh Castle moorings, which at the time, had just one Ocean 30 moored closest to the Goodchilds end. I was being followed by another hire boat so made it pretty clear bu slowing down and pointing Goosander at the space just beyond the Ocean, that I was about to moor. The following boat seemed to be trying to nuzzle into the gap between me and the moorings for some reason, which I thought was odd. Metres away, he changed direction and came alongside beyond Goosander, almost at the end of the moorings. Anyway, no time for pleasantries. The breeze was gentle so I quickly set up the drone and did a circuit of the area. Soon after, I was back on Goosander and heading for St Olaves. 

On arrival the only other boat there was one of Clive's Skyway, so plenty of room to moor. I really like this mooring as you always seem to be in the sun, and there's quite a bit of boat action going on from time to time. After lunch, I cast off and made my way down the New Cut, something which I had been denied when last here in March, due to the repairs being carried out. Again I wondered about availability of moorings as I approached Reedham. It was around 2.45pm, so surely it wouldn't be that busy? I could see just one free mooring on the quay, which thankfully wasn't outside the Nelson, or I would have had to pay a fee. I turned into the tide and slowly came alongside without mishap or assistance. The first thing on the agenda was to walk up the hill to the little stores to buy an ice cream (no other shop open at the time). It was really warm now so ice cream in hand, I walked the triangle that makes up the relatively newly reopened track by the river, up to the Ferry and back down via the Railway Station. 

Various boats had come and gone by the time I got back, but still no space. The last boat to approach, around 6pm, moored outside the Ship, my destination for an evening meal. I'd booked a table and was ready for food by the time I arrived at 6.45pm. I had a chicken & mushroom pie which was huge. So huge in fact that I had to dispense with the dessert OMG. The overall impression of the Ship was very good, and it looks like the new occupiers are going for it over the Nelson. Then it was back to Goosander for the rest of the evening. There's something about fast flowing water that makes me just want to watch it flow by. Very peaceful. The chill of the night didn't return this evening. 

Burgh Castle moorings
Burgh Castle1.jpg

Burgh Castle2.jpg

Burgh Castle3.jpg

Burgh Castle5.jpg

The "divider" between the Yare and teh Waveney
DSC05261.JPG

DSC_0007_2.JPG

St Olaves
DSC_0009_1.JPG

DSC_0012_2.JPG

On to Reedham
DSC_0005_3.JPG

DSC_0018.JPG

The Ship Inn
DSC_0020_1.JPG

DSC05268.JPG

The moorings at the Ferry inn
DSC05272.JPG

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, DAVIDH said:

I passed the line of bouys which had replaced the posts on the channel, but didn't think it was that confusing. They were all in a line, and it seemed pretty obvious where you should steer.

I am enjoying your holiday blog very much DavidH, thank you. 

I have to agree with you on a couple of things too, I haven't found the bouys/posts to be confusing having taken a special note to have a look as I have taken my last few crossings recently. Granted, I am very familiar with the passage however after all these years and so I am not seeing it as a newcomer

13 minutes ago, DAVIDH said:

The overall impression of the Ship was very good, and it looks like the new occupiers are going for it over the Nelson.

I also agree about The Ship, it is most certainly my favourite pub around Reedham, and has been for a while now

I look forward to reading the rest of your travels :default_smile:

I'm enjoying your write up and photos, as always, David. You're selling the benefits of solo boating well in terms of the freedom and pleasure it gives. I'm not one to stop at Great Yarmouth but you make that sound fun as well, I might be tempted. You're also showing the south Broads aren't scary when solo for an experienced boater like yourself.

Thanks Simon. The only thing stopping anyone solo venturing south, is their own anxiety. The stream at St Olaves and Reedham runs just a little faster than Acle so nothing to fear there. You'll also find many other boats from up north at the moorings. As for Great Yarmouth, yes you have to time your arrival, but a call to the staff at the Yacht Station before you set off, will illicit advice as to when to arrive and whether you may need to turn before the bridges. Goosander is a one level bath tub style boat, so height isn't such a problem for me. I find the town so interesting. Yes it has it's seaside attractions, and it's good to see throngs of people out and about enjoying themselves. But it has a fair bit of history too. When approaching Yarmouth from the north (or south), I get the feeling that my "holiday" boat, is entering a working port - probably because you don't just see holiday boats, and that I'm cruising into another marine world. May all be psychological, but that's how I feel. 

• Like 3

Wednesday 22nd June

Another beautifully sunny day hit me in the face when I opened the curtains, immediately followed by the front and back doors to get some of the heat out. My sojourn to the south was only going to be fleeting, as I planned to head back through Yarmouth and stop at Stokesby for lunch and then overnight at Thurne Dyke. This was going to be a long old day of cruising. The tide was still ebbing out by the time I left the moorings, making for an almost effortless crossing of Breydon. Oh, with the canopies back and the sun on your head, there is nothing like crossing Breydon. So peaceful and virtually a millpond. I passed many more craft heading south than when I was travelling in that direction yesterday. The current was slowing down by the time I got to that yellow turning post, so the ebb from the Bure didn't dampen my speed down too much on turning. The Yacht Station was around half full at this time, but there was no stop today. It may have been the weather, but I was in no rush to get anywhere so continued at around 5mph, even through the raised speed limits. 

Passing Stracey Arms first, Stokesby was just around that bend where you can see the top of the pub first. I got there around 1.00pm and wondered about mooring space at this popular place. I needn't have as half of it was unoccupied. So I came alongside, tied up and started preparing lunch. I didn't have that much time, as I wanted to get to Thurne Dyke, also a busy spot, by 3.30pm at the latest. So I just sat on deck eating my salad watching the boats go by. Half an hour later, I was back on the river. Passing Acle, I noticed that the pub and the BA moorings were full. Good job I wasn't stopping! Soon enough the entrance to the Thurne was upon me. Looking down the dyke from the top, it was already quite full. I saw a space at the bend on the left hand side that might do temporarily. The knuckle of the bend made it impossible to bring the whole of Goosander alongside... just the bow half (if that makes sense). Behind was a little day boat, abandoned while the occupants went for lunch no doubt. I stayed where I was with the intention of moving back once that left. It was a good call as within 30 mins they had departed and I was able to pull Goosander back and fully alongside. I made a reservation at the Lion and then just sat back and watched the boats going by on the nearby main river. There is an overnight fee for mooring set at £7.50 if you go into the pub to pay before 6pm. Otherwise that rises to £10 if they have to collect it. I saved the £2.50!

At 6.45pm, I made my way down the dyke and into the Lion. It wasn't full either inside or out, and it was still quite warm outside. I had a pork and apple burger with fries, chutney and colslaw. That was very nice. It was followed by a mango and passionfruit cheesecake. It was very tasty with a ginger base, but there was not much of it. The cost was £6.95 but it seemed to be for half a portion to me. I've included an image below. Overall the meal was good, and the cheesecake size would not stop me returning, but it was disappointing. 

Crossing Breydon
DSC05275.JPG

DSC05281.JPG

DSC05282.JPG

Everett marine opposite the Yacht Station
DSC05291.JPG

DSC05227.JPG

Stokesby
DSC_0007_3.JPG

DSC_0011_2.JPG

The village of Thurne
DSC05298.JPG

DSC05299.JPG

DSC05301.JPG

DSC05302.JPG

DSC05307.JPG

That cheesecake
DSC_0013_2.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

There was a post on FB a couple of days ago, making an observation about The Lion and that it seemed a little lacking against the poster’s previous visits.  If we can moor at Gayes Staithe over the next couple of weeks, at the side on moorings, I’m tempted to try The White Horse at Neatishead for a change.  The reviews for there seem generally more positive of late.

• Like 1

Thursday 23rd June

Awoke to another glorious day, so doors open and canopy back. The plan for today was to get to Sutton Staithe via Ludham Bridge. As such, there was no need for an early start and Ieventually cast off around 10am. Many of the boats in the dyke had gone by now - some having to reverse out. Of course, this was not necessary for Goosander and I just used the thrusters to turn her away from the bank. There were already many boats bobbing along in the sun, all grateful to be out as I was I guess. By the time I got to the junction with the Ant, there were no boats behind me, and the journey through Ludham Bridge was only interrupted for a minute or so while waiting for a boat from the opposite direction to come under. I fancied another ice cream, so on tieing up I walked to the stores and relieved them of some of their finest. Then back on the boat I made lunch and ended up staying for around an hour before setting off for Sutton.  I was making good time, so I decided to stop at How Hill and have a walk in the gardens before continuing on. The good weather makes a big difference. The questionaires they used to hand out on aircraft when returning to the UK, asking what you thought of your holiday, always used to have a box asking you to identify what the weather was like while there. It was known that the weather would influence what you thought of the holiday. 

After around 45 mins, I was back underway, with not much accompanying traffic thankfully. I eventually arrived at Sutton Staithe around 3.45pm and was surprised to see 75% of the dyke moorings free. I prefer the other set outside the hotel, which were only half full (or half empty - you know which type you are!), so that's where I moored. It was really warm by now and I had set my heart on a walk into Stalham past Richardsons yard. So after booking a table at the hotel, I made my way out onto the grass verges of the road. It's not the easiest walking route, as the verges don't seem to be mowed much, and you have to cross the road at various points. After about 20mins I was at Richardsons boatyard and had a scout about to see which boats were still in. I counted around 35 not occupied. Not sure how many boats Richardsons still have, but maybe 90% of the fleet was out. After a walk into Tesco and a little of the high street, I made my way back. I was hot and tired by the time I got back to Goosander, so nothing more to do than rest and await my evening meal. 

The reservaton was for 6.45pm, and the place was full, so I was glad I had booked. I went for the Sutton Staithe Stack, which is a butterflied char-grilled chicken breast with smoked bacon, skinny fries and salad. That was followed by a New York cheesecake, though thankfully they managed to get it there within 15 mins. The Sutton Staithe is always a favourite of mine. I missed it last March when I went further south, so this visit made up for that.

From last night
DSC_0015_1.JPG

Mirror image at Ludham Bridge
DSC_0024_2.JPG

DSC_0025_2.JPG

The secret gardens at How Hill
DSC_0028_2.JPG

DSC_0034_1.JPG

DSC05316.JPG

DSC05318.JPG

Looks so dangerous
DSC05320.JPG

Toad Hole Cottage (period eelcatchers cottage) at How Hill
DSC_0037_1.JPG

DSC_0040_1.JPG

DSC_0041_1.JPG

DSC_0043_1.JPG

Sutton Staithe Hotel
DSC_0046_1.JPG

At Richardsons
DSC_0050.JPG

Museum of the Broads
DSC_0052_1.JPG

DSC05327.JPG

About 66% of the larger decomissioned boats still in teh yard
DSC_0047_1.JPG

DSC_0049.JPG

• Like 8

Not recommended walking down the main road to Stalham, there is a nice walk that runs  in the middle of field between the road and the hotel which then leads to a path through the trees turn left eventually brings you out at Richadsons which from memory would be around 25mins , a bit of detour but worth it. 

John 

20 hours ago, NeilB said:

Been to the Lion twice and the White Horse about 4 times this year.  The White Horse is much closer to my home mooring but I do feel it has the edge over the Lion.

I'd have to agree with you Neil, I enjoyed both pubs but found the white horse to be the better overall experience. The food was excellent in both venues to be fair. 

45 minutes ago, andyg said:

Can I ask what drone you fly please David. My grandson and me want to give it a try and I'm looking at drones at the moment. 

Get a DJI Mini 2 Andy.  You may find one second hand on eBay at the moment as a lot of folk have switched to the DJI Mini 3 Pro, which is good, but much more expensive.  Resist the temptation to buy something cheap as they generally don’t fly well, have limited range and have poor cameras.

Many of the drone shots I post on here have been taken with a Mini 2. Excellent little drone.

78D01610-6408-45EA-8895-6F80F4799A5E.jpeg

5 hours ago, andyg said:

Can I ask what drone you fly please David. My grandson and me want to give it a try and I'm looking at drones at the moment. 

Agree with Malcolm on this. I'm just making use of the drone I bought a few years ago, but it's not the best. My heart is in my mouth every time I use it. 

• Like 1

Interesting photo of the unsold Richardson's boats, David, I'm surprised that. Apart from the Ideal 45s I see there's a Jamaica there, possibly Jamaica 1 which I hired 10 years ago. It was a very nice boat and one I'm surprised Richardson's sold. They still have all 8 Gold Gems though. I think, which are older than Jamaica so it seems strange to me

Enjoying your write up and photos David. You very much seem to have your favourite places now. Nothing wrong with that. Sometimes I think about where we ought to go because we haven’t been but invariably am drawn back to the moorings we love instead. 

I do have my favourite places Jean and try to include some of them on each trip. They tend to be ones with places i like to eat out. I also think it's true that the more times you're afloat, the less your journey times become. My autumn week (I always seem to pick November or December in the draw) is quite limiting in that I can only overnight where the electric posts are, and as travelling south then would mean no stops at Yarmouth in either direction,  I often stay north as I'm not overly keen on cruising for hour after hour.

No update to the tale today I'm afraid as I'm going to be out for most of the day, and the writing and photo selecting takes quite a time (for me). More tomorrow. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DAVIDH said:

No update to the tale today I'm afraid as I'm going to be out for most of the day, and the writing and photo selecting takes quite a time (for me).

I find that too, it’s time consuming. I very much appreciate the holiday tales you post.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1