Reedham

tim

On 29/06/2021 at 15:43, Mouldy said:

Exactly right.  Times have changed since the man was the breadwinner.  Fewer families bought their own homes, but rented, fewer families owned their own car (never mind a car each!), no mobile telephone bills to pay, no satellite tv, no broadband, possibly no tv.  There are a host of reasons why women go to work, not forgetting that they have the right to.  Being the breadwinner has not been the sole right of the man of the house for a long time and rightly so.

I’m afraid that your thought process needs to be in line with the times in which we live.

Sadly you will find most families are financially totally over stretched, buying houses  holidays, cars etc they can't really afford after being brainwashed. Very interesting article in the daily express the other week, they are predicting that the car leasing schemes most manufacturers offer is reaching boiling point and is about to burst with manufacturers left with billions in toxic debt. We have just brought our youngest daughter out of hers as it was quite obvious she was just getting into a downward spiral of debt. Sadly my offer to her of using my father's old skoda I still have undercover in my warehouse, didn't go down to well lol.. who be a youngsters today..

21 minutes ago, Meantime said:

There's a lot of answers to those questions John, but most will fall foul of the politics mods :default_eusa_naughty: 

Yes, this whole discussion is on very thin political ice.

If we take it that all political parties would be doing much the same thing and that all opposition parties would be bitching and griping to score political points whoever they may be, we would be left with the same problems.

We don't want to see people starving on the streets, and we want to help people going through a rough patch however long that patch lasts.

There will always be people who will abuse any system, and milk it for all it's worth. Equally there will always be companies who will abuse any system and milk it.

There is no solution to this that would have an "all party agreement".

The concept of "It must never be more profitable to 'not work' " is fine in principle but not workable in practice.

The only possible solution is to.......         ..... oh now what was it?

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Meantime said:

There's a lot of answers to those questions John, but most will fall foul of the politics mods :default_eusa_naughty: 

Actually you will fall foul of the TOS, the mods just enforce those, 

There is a reason that politics and religion are banned on a vast majority of forums, as they are emotive subjects and people have firmly held beliefs on them, thus topics get heated and out of hand, thus the stance on them in the TOS, if we dontdiscuss them we wont get into arguments, and then the mods wont have to step in, its really simple really.

43 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

I have to admit to being confused. On one hand I hear and read that thousands have lost their jobs as a result of Covid. I also hear that many have lost their jobs as a result of Brexit. But on the other hand I hear that there are quite a few industries that are in desperate need of staff because of the lack of migrant workers.

Question Why are the people who are unemployed not filling the jobs available?

It is noticable that both groups are demanding more money from the government.

Easy answer as far as the shortage of drivers is concerned.  The initial cost of acquiring an LGV licence is high, not to mention the requirement of achieving the Drivers Certificate of Competence.  Having forked out probably in the region of 5k for that, the rewards are pay of not much above minimum wage, unsocial hours, working weekends, spending nights away from home living in your cab and paying through the nose for poor quality food from motorway service stations, abiding by all of the road traffic regulations to avoid losing your livelihood whilst being forced to rush about by companies trying to squeeze every working second from their employees and being watched whilst out by the camera fitted by some firms in your cab.  What other industry would you be given a formal warning for eating  an apple whilst working, as one of my ex colleagues was one day?  Finally, you become despised by virtually every other road user for being on the road, despite the fact that it is an essential industry.  Most young people leaving school now would rather go to university, to attain a degree that for many will have little to do with their final occupation with the expectation of earning a decent salary for driving a desk and I say most, because entry into traditional manual trades within the building, manufacturing and logistics industries are not seen by most as good career moves.

The pandemic has highlighted how little regard we have for the logistics industry, amongst others, as their efforts have helped the country be guided through these difficult times, but without the accolades being awarded to the NHS.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Meantime said:

They will not fall foul of the politics mods as we have none. They will fall foul of breaking our ToS though. This is what our Moderators do an excellent job moderating. Tim and I do however have a little more freedom with the preauthorisation button. :)