Reedham

tim

Having had a bit  an ‘episode’ with the dog at Surlingham we had to return to our boatyard (Pacific) she pulled up lame chasing a stick and yelped and had to carry her back to the boat

Fiona and Richard were (as expected fantasist) organising an emergency vet and getting our car ready to take her

Strained tendons and £220 later we made our way to our booked mooring at Lord Nelson at Reedham!

Now, the Ship is closed, The Ferry doesn’t do food after 4pm and the Nelson closes it’s doors at 7!

is it me?

But after 40 years in business I just can’t understand in a staycation year with every hire boat out why everything is closed!

not a problem for me as a more mature drinker I tend to do my damage early 🤭

I just find it strange!  😲

• unclemike changed the title to Reedham
2 hours ago, tim said:

Having had a bit  an ‘episode’ with the dog at Surlingham we had to return to our boatyard (Pacific) she pulled up lame chasing a stick and yelped and had to carry her back to the boat

Fiona and Richard were (as expected fantasist) organising an emergency vet and getting our car ready to take her

Strained tendons and £220 later we made our way to our booked mooring at Lord Nelson at Reedham!

Now, the Ship is closed, The Ferry doesn’t do food after 4pm and the Nelson closes it’s doors at 7!

is it me?

But after 40 years in business I just can’t understand in a staycation year with every hire boat out why everything is closed!

not a problem for me as a more mature drinker I tend to do my damage early 🤭

I just find it strange!  😲

The Lord Nelson is open 11am till 11pm Tue to Sat though does tend to close early on Sundays ( Currently closed Mondays)

There's no doubt, the trade has taken one hell of a bashing.I think the next 12 months  will be very difficult for Pubs,Restaurants,Hotels  etc.That said some are poorly managed.The other week I was at Bluewater, having lunch.Talking to the waitress she said there was a lack of staff,but the money was poor,Chefs only  getting the minimum wage. 

Returning to Reedham,We always enjoyed going to the Ship,the food like the Ferryhouse Surlingham. Good homemade fare.Never a fan of the Nelson,but like the Ferry. Let's hope things improve at Reedham. 

It can't be easy trying to get staff in the catering trade at the moment. What future could they offer anybody? The threat of another change to the rules is always there for now. People have had over 12 months now to look around for more permanent jobs or a different career.

• Like 2

The ferry at Horning is having to close its kitchen some days due to lack of staff, we stayed at the Nelson Premier Inn Norwich the other week, lots of there staff haven't returned from furlough. The industry is going to have a tough summer ahead. Its a shame really as it potentially a summer of being really busy. The industry really needs to take a long hard look at itself and how it treats and pays its staff. 

Had 3 weeks on the boat end of May to third week of June. 3 fabulous weeks in the sunshine for once. Spent most of the time on the South Broads to avoid the congestion and noticed quite a bit of change with eating and drinking facilities:

The Ship Reedham. Closed.

Lord Nelson Reedham was hopeless, had to drink outside, but to order had to queue at the pub door, where one person stood at a table, took orders, shuffled backwards and forwards to the bar, pouring drinks, taking money to the till or collecting PDQ machine, then having to go back and get change. After 20 minutes the queue had reduced by only two so we gave up and returned to the boat. They now charge £10 a night to moor over quite a long length of what I use to think of as B.A. moorings. Fortunately the harbour master put us wise and moved us along when a boat moved and he held the mooring for us. Well done B.A.  

Surlingham Ferry House was always our favourite but found it had gone down hill. Menu smaller and they were understaffed. Fortunately we brought forward our booking to 5pm. Soon afterwards, with food being served inside and out, staff were overwhelmed and we heard arguments breaking out about excessive waits. Will try again when next in the area, in the hope that they have recovered to their normal standard.

Waters Edge, Bramerton. Excellent. Well staffed and very attentive, tables and chairs santised instantly when vacated. Will be going again.

Wherry Hotel, Oulton Broad. Excellent, well staffed, very clean and sanitised. Had the carvery twice and indulged in Breakfast once. Very impressed.

White Horse Chedgrave. Outstanding, we ate in their beautiful garden. Plenty of attentive happy staff and fine dining at pub prices. When visiting Loddon, it's the place to go.

Horning, where we moor. We tried all 3 of the waterside pubs, the New Inn use to be our favourite but now we regard the Swan as the outstanding spot. Everything has changed at the Swan, for the better. We ate inside, great attentive staff, lovely furniture and menu, spotlessly clean and the two of us thoroughly enjoyed the quiet intimate atmosphere making a great evening.

Looking forward to getting back on board late July (wife wants to be at home until grandchild number 9 is born!!!).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I wonder if the problem is lack of staff.

I wonder why there so many unemployed whilst the establishments are struggling to recruit

I wonder if some of the unemployed are quite content to be so rather than getting off their fat square ones to earn rather survive on benefits.  Surely not all the unemployed are disabled / unwell / incapacitated?

Griff

• Like 3

1 hour ago, andyg said:

The ferry at Horning is having to close its kitchen some days due to lack of staff, we stayed at the Nelson Premier Inn Norwich the other week, lots of there staff haven't returned from furlough. The industry is going to have a tough summer ahead. Its a shame really as it potentially a summer of being really busy. The industry really needs to take a long hard look at itself and how it treats and pays its staff. 

Hospitality, especially at this level, is hammered by taxes, hammered by rent, hammered by rates and hammered if their prices are too high. Oh, and it's profitability is hammered too. In areas like Reedham which is geographically in the **** end of nowhere, it's virtually impossible to sustain THREE pubs with just 1200 residents outside of the times that it's got visitors from boats. I would imagine it's pretty hard even with the boats which are only there for six months of the average year. 

The "industry" is too full of pub-cos like EI who are really just property management companies creaming every little bit the can off the people that do the really hard work and if there's change to be made, this is really where it needs to start. 

20 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

I wonder why there so many unemployed whilst the establishments are struggling to recruit

I wonder if some of the unemployed are quite content to be so rather than getting off their fat square ones to earn rather survive on benefits.  Surely not all the unemployed are disabled / unwell / incapacitated?

Griff

I wonder if you're buying into the narrative that this is all the fault of the working classes? 

• Like 1

The hospitality trade is renowned for paying poorly. It was heavily populated by Europeans and long term tourists. For a few reasons, these people are no longer available.

The answer  is pay a bit more in wages, but of course that is passed onto the customer. It’s only going to go 1 way.

Believe  me,being in the trade for nearly 50 years.Its never easy,and now with covid it's even worse.As I've  said the business has really suffered along with many others.Those that were layed off or made redundant,went out and got other jobs and many won't return to working 18 hours  for little mmone.Think given times things will improve,but will take time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Believe  me,being in the trade for nearly 50 years.Its never easy,and now with covid it's even worse.As I've  said the business has really suffered along with many others.Those that were layed off or made redundant,went out and got other jobs and many won't return to working 18 hours  for little mmone.Think given times things will improve,but will take time.

People want 5 star levels, at 3 star prices. Not only in hospitality though. Eating out is going to get very expensive I imagine.

Just look at alcohol prices in pubs. Probably around 5x what you pay in the shops.

6 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Griff

In my day plenty of students were up for the task. I wonder if student loans   put paid to that, shame as for me it worked perfectly, end of June to end of September and Christmas Eve/Day and NYE shifts working the bar, mardling with the punters, occasional ahd’s, 6 days a week, sweeet. Not sure if it’s still the case but if said students didn’t earn enough then no payback and possibly written off after a number of years. May have claimed to be overqualified for such tasks as keeping the glass washer spinning, bar top mopped and beer a flowing!

I wonder if you're buying into the narrative that this is all the fault of the working classes? 

And I wonder where that came from? 

I made no mention of any class system or even hinted at it, nor am I blaming anyone or any class either - I'm not buying into any theories, I leave that for others to amuse themselves with.

So wonder no more on my behalf and I would thank you not to make assumptions on my behalf too

Griff

• Like 4
  • Love 1