Very Small Grp Repairs

Just now, rightsaidfred said:

Hmm 2 choices theΒ right wayΒ  using gel coat for a lasting job or the easy wayΒ  which will probably mean doing it twice.

Fred

You're right of course, I was just hoping to get away with being lazy and efficient at the same time... a man can dream 😁

I have found Plastic Padding Gelcoat Filler very good for small jobs. I also found covering the repair with sellotape gave a pretty flat surface prior to setting that reduced rubbing down.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have the tin, the photo was indeed an old one just to indicate the type of product.

No hardener, no gloves etc.

Definitely not to be used anywhere other than well ventilated outside but that's what I want it for.

The filler itself looks very smooth and is a really good bright white colour, it's like looking into a can of brilliant white gloss paint.

Be a few days before I get to try it but will let you know how well it applies and dries etc.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Stevelmk2 said:

Hey how did you get on?

I'm going to need to repair some less that nice bits on our Ocean 30 just wanted to see howΒ  it all come out

Today's trip to our boat got postponed unfortunately but I will report back how easy or otherwise it is to use as soon as I can πŸ‘

• Like 1

I have tried the product today and it certainly does what it says, a no mix grp repair paste.

It is the consistency of ready mixed polyfilla/grout perhaps a little dryer. Easy to apply as any filler, dries white and is sandable.

Perfect for screw holes which was what I did today and I would think good for light crazing which I intend to get round to.

It's a small tin and I don't think it would be very manageable for large repairs or cost effective come to that but for small quick jobs without faff it's perfect.

BTW it goes off very quickly, I should have chosen a cooler day but the boat was in the shade, even so there is very little time to work with it which for my very less than skilled hands would have been tricky if it was a more complicated job.

Photos are as it dried, no sanding/polishing yet.

Β 

IMG_20210719_105424.jpg

IMG_20210719_110350.jpg

IMG_20210719_111727.jpg

• Like 3

If I were you, I wouldn't bother with crazing, it WILL come back. There's no quick permanent fix for crazing, it's due to underlying stressing of the gel coat. A permanent repair needs grinding off and completely re-applying. That's only my opinion, of course, if you only want to make good for a while, the stuff you're using would be fine.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Regulo said:

If I were you, I wouldn't bother with crazing, it WILL come back. There's no quick permanent fix for crazing, it's due to underlying stressing of the gel coat. A permanent repair needs grinding off and completely re-applying. That's only my opinion, of course, if you only want to make good for a while, the stuff you're using would be fine.

That's good to know, many thanks! The odd areas of crazing are small and not really noticeable, I'll leave well alone πŸ‘