Sport Sport Spam Spam Spam Sport Sport Spam.

MauriceMynah

Bloody Vikings !!!

I know that whilst I am in a minority, I'm far from alone.

I have little interest in sport. I endured the constant barage of football a couple of weeks ago, just asI put up with a fortnight of tennis. Now it's athletics.

It's not the basic coverage I'm fed up with, it's the time wasted on th periferal aspects. Long interviews with primary schoolkids where one athlete or footballer went to school etc etc.

At one stage thismorning BBC had the olympics on channel 1, the news channel ant perliament channel were showing the same live interview with a sports coach and BBC2 were showing an old episode of "Pointless." I was looking for the news! 

Beneath this "blanket bombing" of sports coverage was a red banner that mentioned a USA variant of the corona virus, but it was deemed that two young ladies jumping into a pool of water together was much more important. Actually I disagree!

It has been said that sport is vital for our mental health. I disagree with that too. It is not, it is not even mildly important to either our mental or physical health. Yes it has health benefits by way of exercise but that's about it. In fact I would go so far as to say that more people will miss exercise because they are sitting down watching sport than there are people benefitting from doing it.

High blood pressure is far more damaging to people, and mine's through the roof trying to find news on TV  but only finding footage of somebody's granny who is "so proud".

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

I'm with you MM, at one point itv1 and itv4 were showing the same footy game at the same time, why ffs?????

Footy final night we were in wells and chuffed to first hear the council had banned the pubs from showing it due to the average iq number dipping below the R number only to find out all the pubs decided to shut entirely (except the globe which had a crap qr code thing on the outside tables) as well as both chippies closing, it was like a ghost town on a summer weekend night, we ended up back on the boat watching a crap film we had recorded for just such an emergency.

And I CBA with the olympics either.......

• Like 1

Easy solution, don't turn on the tv or radio,  life is much more pleasant, all the things in life that don't matter go away.

Having said that, if you can't beat them join them, since I got my blue badge I have been looking for a sport I could participate in for the olympics, quite staggering the amount of money to be made!

6 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Bloody Vikings !!!

I know that whilst I am in a minority, I'm far from alone.

I have little interest in sport. I endured the constant barage of football a couple of weeks ago, just asI put up with a fortnight of tennis. Now it's athletics.

It's not the basic coverage I'm fed up with, it's the time wasted on th periferal aspects. Long interviews with primary schoolkids where one athlete or footballer went to school etc etc.

At one stage thismorning BBC had the olympics on channel 1, the news channel ant perliament channel were showing the same live interview with a sports coach and BBC2 were showing an old episode of "Pointless." I was looking for the news! 

Beneath this "blanket bombing" of sports coverage was a red banner that mentioned a USA variant of the corona virus, but it was deemed that two young ladies jumping into a pool of water together was much more important. Actually I disagree!

It has been said that sport is vital for our mental health. I disagree with that too. It is not, it is not even mildly important to either our mental or physical health. Yes it has health benefits by way of exercise but that's about it. In fact I would go so far as to say that more people will miss exercise because they are sitting down watching sport than there are people benefitting from doing it.

High blood pressure is far more damaging to people, and mine's through the roof trying to find news on TV  but only finding footage of somebody's granny who is "so proud".

MM you are not alone.    Fellow sufferer here.    I cannot stand the way they are all so full of themselves.   I might be nearly 76 but I am as fit now as I was when I was 18 , and that was totally unfit.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Couldn't agree more. This obsession with sport on bbc like just about everything else they do is poor and makes for a very frustrating time. I greet the news of any tournament, cup. games etc with equal dread. Thank goodness for  Freeview! I record old programmes shown at unsociable hours and store them up for such occasions. We've always got something that appeals to watch. Tony loves all sports and will watch it till the cows come home burning the midnight oil to  stay up and watch Lithuanian tiddly-winks if the occasion arose but bless him he totally gets and sympathises with my aversion. The only thing I've watched on the current Olympics  is Charlotte Dujardin and that's only because her late Granny was an old friend of mine and I knew Charlotte as a baby.

Carole

7 hours ago, Victoryv said:

Easy solution, don't turn on the tv or radio,  life is much more pleasant, all the things in life that don't matter go away.

Having said that, if you can't beat them join them, since I got my blue badge I have been looking for a sport I could participate in for the olympics, quite staggering the amount of money to be made!

image.png.7a682ab8ee9eae017d775209977e42fb.pngimage.png.22995d134263aac4bc6892a78efb3494.png

The international 2.4mR sailing class, wheelchair bound sailors can compete equally with able bodied people. It's an Olympic class but the Japanese didn't want Paralympic sailing this time.

But....

You won't make much money. Sailing isn't good TV..

More importantly they can be sailed at Horning, we have a club member who just missed the Rio Paralympic team for them.