Pacific Sunshine,gala Girl, Clearway.

andyg

I guess we maybe in the minority but we have made the decision not to travel abroad in 2022. My wife has spent the last 18 months knee deep in covid and everything associated with it as an NHS nurse. The thought of having to wear masks on aircraft etc just doesn't do it for her. Caravan parks aren't really our thing unless we have our grandchildren in tow and I'm no fan of British seaside resorts ( nothing wrong with them, just not my thing ) so we've agreed on a return to the broads. But this time will be for two weeks. I've never spent more then a week afloat. I've narrowed it down to three boats. This is my normal process and no doubt il change my mind. I tried to hire clearway a while back but unfortunately she wasn't quite ready to go out on hire. So she's 1st on my list, gala girl is a boat I've always liked and saw her two weeks ago in Horning looking pristine but for some bizzare reason I keep being pulled to Pacific Sunshine. I haven't hired a boat from the southern rivers in a good 30 years and that was harrier from Alphacraft. This may sound really daft but the green interior and aztec type upholstery on sunshine is putting me off. I'm really no good at making decisions. Anyone had any experience of the above boats. 

Hi Andy

My partner and I had a week on Sunshine in June she is a lovely boat handles well and no issues Richard and Fiona are passionate about there fleet and lovely people.

We tried to rehire for June 2022 but it was already booked instead we are on the boat the have just purchased Bella which is similar but the Toilet and bedroom positions are reversed there is a thread on here re this boat

Hope that helps

Ray

I wouldn’t mind betting that you probably won’t be in the minority in holidaying at home next year. I reckon there are lots of people who will still be wary of travelling abroad because of covid. Three nice looking boats there but don’t delay too long as bookings will undoubtedly be well underway already for next year. Just as an aside, as you will be going for two weeks have you thought about something a bit bigger to give you more storage?

Pacific Sunshine shows no availability until 2023! Not sure if that just means they haven't loaded the system yet. Many UK holidays are booking well for next year, so I wouldn't leave it to long to decide, especially if you plan to go early in the year.

We've not hired Pacific Sunshine but I have been onboard and would not have thought of the interior as being green until your post. It is not that apparent when you are onboard, but yes her gelcoat is green and the interior has been fitted to compliment that. The main influence on the interior is the wood. 

Of the boatyards you have mentioned I would go for Pacific every time, without a doubt. As for specific boats that's very much personal preference but I would not be put off by Sunshine's interior, in fact quite the opposite. Where to hire from is not really important, if you are going for two weeks I'm guessing you'll cover most of the system anyway so start and finish point is not really too important, though Loddon Staithe makes and excellent last night mooring and is just five minutes gentle chug from the yard. 

I would just give a cautionary note on availability. Pacific are all but fully booked on every boat for the rest of this year and many people rebook year to year so I would not hang around in making your decision. You might already find the choices for next year very limited. Rather than the minority I think the vast majority of people will vacation in the UK next year. 

• Like 1

I have hired sunshine and Gala Girl 2 both are good boats. If you can't get Sunshine Clearway would get my vote, she is slightly bigger, has a bow thruster although loses the electric mudweight and was fitted out by Greenway Marine to a good standard and looked after by Kris Cruisers on the Thames where she operated last and I imagine updated by Clive since as suggested. Gala Girl was fitted out by Brister originally as Yare Sunrise in 1996 and maintained to high standard since however I don't think they have updated her although I vaguely remember reading about a possible refit so I might be wrong. When I hired her she still had a gas fridge for example. As an aside the Hoseasons external pic of Clearway is actually a Swan Alpha 35 not the Alpha 32 Clearway however they are very similar ofcourse, being an Alpha 32 I think she's unique for this type of Alpha usually 29/31/34/35. Ofcourse Pacific have an Alpha 31 now if you want to go from Loddon.

Neil

2 hours ago, Captain said:

I have hired sunshine and Gala Girl 2 both are good boats. If you can't get Sunshine Clearway would get my vote, she is slightly bigger, has a bow thruster although loses the electric mudweight and was fitted out by Greenway Marine to a good standard and looked after by Kris Cruisers on the Thames where she operated last and I imagine updated by Clive since as suggested. Gala Girl was fitted out by Brister originally as Yare Sunrise in 1996 and maintained to high standard since however I don't think they have updated her although I vaguely remember reading about a possible refit so I might be wrong. When I hired her she still had a gas fridge for example. As an aside the Hoseasons external pic of Clearway is actually a Swan Alpha 35 not the Alpha 32 Clearway however they are very similar ofcourse, being an Alpha 32 I think she's unique for this type of Alpha usually 29/31/34/35. Ofcourse Pacific have an Alpha 31 now if you want to go from Loddon.

Neil

I also remember seeing something about a refit on gala girl. I'd be surprised if she still had a gas fridge as she is fitted with a 240vlt system. Like I said earlier I saw her in Horning at the ferry inn the other week and she certainly look absolutely immaculate. The paint job looked quite new but then again there boats have always been well presented. On the subject of bisters doesn't one of the sons work at summercraft, he did last time I hired from them 

2 minutes ago, andyg said:

I also remember seeing something about a refit on gala girl. I'd be surprised if she still had a gas fridge as she is fitted with a 240vlt system. Like I said earlier I saw her in Horning at the ferry inn the other week and she certainly look absolutely immaculate. The paint job looked quite new but then again there boats have always been well presented. On the subject of bisters doesn't one of the sons work at summercraft, he did last time I hired from them 

Dave Brister worked there when they had their full hire fleet.  Not sure if he’s still there now they’ve only retained two of their boats.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

Dave Brister worked there when they had their full hire fleet.  Not sure if he’s still there now they’ve only retained two of their boats.

Apologies spelt his surname wrong. Yes that's him i remember him telling us he had built Gainsborough girl, the boat we were on. Seemed a very nice guy. 

Hi Andy, 

I know it's not on your list of boats but have you considered Herbert Woods? They offer a 15% discount off your second week - and also another 10% discount if you use an NHS Blue Light Discount card. We got 11 nights on 'Prince of Light' for under a grand using these two discounts.

https://www.herbertwoods.co.uk/book/adventuring-light/

Perhaps something like Adventuring Light for you?

1 hour ago, 750XL said:

Hi Andy, 

I know it's not on your list of boats but have you considered Herbert Woods? They offer a 15% discount off your second week - and also another 10% discount if you use an NHS Blue Light Discount card. We got 11 nights on 'Prince of Light' for under a grand using these two discounts.

https://www.herbertwoods.co.uk/book/adventuring-light/

Perhaps something like Adventuring Light for you?

I'm on dazzling light in Oct but she's way to big just for the two of us, I've looked onboard adventuring light 3 just after shed been put into the water. A bit too compact for me but a nice. 

I’ve no idea about these specific boats but it’s a fascinating discussion. Someone I know is coming to the Broads for the first time next year. We were backwards and forwards discussing specific boats and ended up with a shortlist of three. I’m not going to name them because the decision is made. But it’s an interesting process. 

We’ve been fortunate to enjoy each boat we’ve hired. Some we would take again, others had maybe one thing that rule them out for the future. But each one gave us a great holiday. 

We might go somewhere different next year, perhaps a Warner’s hotel … but definitely not abroad. 

• Like 2

We dug a bit deeper into our choices last and have decided to book rose emblem from ferry marina. I did look at suncharm from Richardson's another favourite of ours but was quite surprised to discover she was the most expensive of that type we looked at. Although clearway is a nice boat I feel it's a tad overpriced ( just my opinion and not a dig at anyone ) rose emblem offered the better value in my view. So rose emblem it is then. I would say from my limited research that bookings seem quite heavy for next season already with quite a few boats fully booked. 

• Like 2

We took it out in March. I think it had radiator heating which was best used when on electric hookup. Then it was toasty but I think the skipper’s manual advised not to run it for too long otherwise. Mind you that was a few years ago now. There will be a holiday tale written up somewhere on here. 

Edited to add that I just went back and re-read my tale from March 2016. Sounds like we had a lovely time! 😂 And yes, concluded that we would take Rose Emblem out again. 👍

• Like 1