Starting Fishing Again

floydraser

So I'm thinking about taking up fishing again. Every time I go to the boat, the fish are making rude, slurping noises in my direction to tease me.

I packed up years ago and gave all the kit away apart from one rod.

Does the team think I should get any particular piece of equipment apart from the obvious coarse fishing kit?

I'll be fishing from the boat or from the bank near the boat. Mainly the Yare at BGM. No more up at sparrow's fart in the rain and sitting in mud for hours on end. I used to do that when I was younger, fitter and even more stupid. My kit was all hand-me-downs in fact the only thing that wasn't second hand was the bait. I've looked at Youtube and discovered I was never taught the basics properly which may explain my often empty keep net.

I won't be after anything massive so I'll be sticking to something around 4lb line. I'm thinking a two piece rod so easier to store in the boat. I'm also thinking starter kit with everything in it, literally for a start. I am blessed with 7 Grandchildren and anyone similarly blessed won't need a crystal ball to see what will happen.

So after one of them has pinched the starter kit I'll get myself a nice, shiny new rod and reel. And a good, long handled landing net?

I already have a 12ft 3 piece rod given to me by my Uncle Len Stewardson from his shop in Rugby when I was about 12. No, it's not split cane! :default_swordpir:

Any tips greatly appreciated.:default_fishing2:

• Like 2

Starting Fishing Again

Starting Fishing Again

Just what kinda language is that to use in here?  I never stopped and started about aged three ruining many a good hour with my Dad

You need to talk to seek advice from the forums LondonLad - or Budget Angler as he is known.  He'll put you right

Griff

• Like 2

Thanks for the mention Griff.

I'm just an enthusiastic amateur but I'll give my 2 Pen'orth.

There's no finer way to spend a few hours than a bit of dangling on the broads (imho) The pub does it close though 🍻

If you're just looking for float fishing, then the split cane sounds like it would be great! 👍

If you're looking for something lighter and newer any modern 10 to 12 ft float or match rod would be ideal for float fishing. I must admit I've never used a 2 piece as all my fishing is done by bicycle usually. I use a few telescopics and 3 pieces.

If conditions don't suit float fishing then my next favourite method is a quiver tip with a ledger or swim feeder. something long enough to fish from a deck of a boat and have the rod in a reasonable position to see the tip would be handy. Maybe 8/9ft plus.  

As for reels I so rarely buy them that I can't really offer much advice, although I almost exclusively use a centrepin for float fishing as I enjoy the feeling of being in constant contact with the fish without a drag.  I use what ever is laying around with a suitable line on it for anything else. 

I'm not one to buy specific brands, or reccomend anythin strongly. Generally I try not to spend a fortune. I tend to shop online as most of my local tackle shops are a bit carpy for me. Although there are some great shops on the broads and they'll all be able offer good advice, and give the opportunity for a rod in the hand before you part with your money.

In terms of online stuff I've heard reasonable reviews of the advanta sets from Angling Direct. They are certainly entry level price and they may have them in the Wroxham branch if you're nearby. If you want something bit lighter and refined but still on the lower price range there is a tackle shop in Dartford called TackleBox. They sell online and I use thier 8ft Darent Valley feeder rod and its great.

I also get a bit adventurous from time to time and buy stuff from Ali Express or Joom (China). I got a 10 ft 6 piece quiver tip for £13 and its Brilliant, and very portable. 

My float rod is a 11ft John Wilson, it was £29.99 from Angling Direct, ingkt it some years ago and it's discontinued now.

I'll caveat all the above and say that the fish only see the last 6 inches of line, and you can use any rod for any type of fishing it just depends on what you want outbid the bit you're holding, so I'd say use what you've got and upgrade where you need to/ want to. 

Landing net wise I'd advocate for separate handle and net, the brand NGT do a great Sturdy telescopic 9ft handle although it's heavy, and Dinsmores a light triangle net that folds and comes in several sizes. 

Also don't forget your fish care bits, a few disgorgrers in various sizes (one for every pocket as you'll forget it's behind your ear as soon as you need it😅) sharp scissors, maybe some small forceps, perhaps an hooking mat for a hoped for big bream on a gravel B.A mooring.

I hope some of that is useful. I film many of my fishing adventures (mostly tiddler bashing) you can find me on YouTube and Facebook just search "The Budget Angler"

Tight lines 😃 I look forward to your catch reports! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I must be the only person to have gone fishing on the Broads and never caught anything  ...

When we hired boats for 6 years or so, back in the late 70's and early 80's, I took my tackle with a few times and caught nowt, zilch, nadda.

Mind you, the last year that we went, while I was there I found out that I had won a 'spot the float' competition. It got me a free place on the Angling Times youth trip to Skjern in Denmark for a week of match fishing. I did catch a few fish then :default_fishing2: 

• Like 2

Fishing! if only I could. There is some of the best sea fishing in the world here in New Zealand, but I long for the chance to dangle a maggot on the Broads. 2022 Covid and Saint Comrade Jacinda permitting.

A few good stick floats for trotting, a decent quiver tip rod for when not trotting, nail clippers for trimming line, a headtorch for low light, decent disgorgers, forceps, and a good landing net. Forget the keepnet, only needed for match fishing, oh, and a couple of rodrests for when not trotting from the bank.

You lucky man!

Chris

• Like 2

8 hours ago, floydraser said:

So I'm thinking about taking up fishing again. Every time I go to the boat, the fish are making rude, slurping noises in my direction to tease me.

I packed up years ago and gave all the kit away apart from one rod.

Does the team think I should get any particular piece of equipment apart from the obvious coarse fishing kit?

I'll be fishing from the boat or from the bank near the boat. Mainly the Yare at BGM. No more up at sparrow's fart in the rain and sitting in mud for hours on end. I used to do that when I was younger, fitter and even more stupid. My kit was all hand-me-downs in fact the only thing that wasn't second hand was the bait. I've looked at Youtube and discovered I was never taught the basics properly which may explain my often empty keep net.

I won't be after anything massive so I'll be sticking to something around 4lb line. I'm thinking a two piece rod so easier to store in the boat. I'm also thinking starter kit with everything in it, literally for a start. I am blessed with 7 Grandchildren and anyone similarly blessed won't need a crystal ball to see what will happen.

So after one of them has pinched the starter kit I'll get myself a nice, shiny new rod and reel. And a good, long handled landing net?

I already have a 12ft 3 piece rod given to me by my Uncle Len Stewardson from his shop in Rugby when I was about 12. No, it's not split cane! :default_swordpir:

Any tips greatly appreciated.:default_fishing2:

Spooky!!  I've had the same thoughts myself for a while as well!  I always regret not taking a rod etc to the Broads when on holiday there!  Like you, I packed up years ago after 30 odd years of fishing, (coarse, match, fly and sea!).  Brenda even took it up when I was stationed in Germany which is where I started match fishing (She evn beat me in a pairs match in Germany!! I met Ian Heaps  who came over on one occasion to fish the infamous "Slaughterhouse" stretch on the River Weser (so called because it was a bream every cast and they were big bronze dustbin lid size!!).  Anyway, I digress!  We still have all our original fishing tackle (I never throw or give anything away!).  My late father (Aubrey Wilson) left all his fishing tackle to me when he passed away and one of the rods he left me is a split cane 3 piece that was specially made for him by Dave Burr in Rugby!  You've inspired me to root through it all and get sort of semi-serious again :default_biggrin:

Chris

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Londonlad1985 said:

I'm just an enthusiastic amateur but I'll give my 2 Pen'orth.

It's worth a lot more than that if it saves me and/or someone else spending money on the wrong gear. Thank you for taking the time to type it all out.:default_trophy:

13 hours ago, Londonlad1985 said:

There's no finer way to spend a few hours than a bit of dangling on the broads (imho) 

Are you sure that's allowed? I'm surprised it got past the moderators. Sounds like a line from a song by Ramblin' Sid Rumpo.....

Anyway, back to the main subject. The reason I said a two piece was that I thought it would be easier to leave it kitted up in the boat and therefore quicker to whip out for a bit of dangling in between jobs. Someone in the marina expressed a view that telescopics weren't so good? I would be interested in your opinion. 

The timing of this is due to the time of year. The kids have asked for Christmas present suggestions and as the man who has everything, I am difficult to buy for. I'll suggest the smaller bits to them for a start then add my own choices later on.

For a decent main rod I look forward to going into a shop and trying a few along with a reel. I've seen Angling Direct in Wroxham and it will cost me a visit to the dress shop opposite with Mrs Raser when I go! 

The rod I have is a three piece 12 footer with threaded top eye for a tip. I used to have a swing tip but it must have gone with the other stuff. I got it out of the attic the other day and found one of the eyes was badly corroded. A replacement was a whole £3. I decided to push the boat right out and replaced all apart from the top eye, for £6. I wouldn't have bothered but for sentimental value.

Thanks again.

• Love 1

12 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

To be honest if your just fishing from the boat for anything then an elasticated whip/ 5to6 mtr pole will surfice for starters, I use the top 3 or 4 sections of a pole for 90-95% of my fishing plus a feeder rod, keep it simple and enjoy.

Fred

Now you see Fred, you've got me there. When I was fishing before there were rumours that things called "roach poles" were growing in popularity. Whips? Feeder rods? 

If someone mentions spods we'll be back to Ramblin' Sid! :default_biggrin:

But seriously, thanks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rightsaidfred said:

To be honest if your just fishing from the boat for anything then an elasticated whip/ 5to6 mtr pole will surfice for starters, I use the top 3 or 4 sections of a pole for 90-95% of my fishing plus a feeder rod, keep it simple and enjoy.

Fred

Used to use a 10 mtr pole on the River Weser in Germany. Extra strong elastic threaded through the tip, 9 mtrs of 4lb line (would look like a clothes line on the Broads :default_laugh:), open ended swim feeder and size 14 barbless hook. Chuck it in and hold back against the current and it would act like a quiver tip! Usually had dustbin lid bream every chuck and the odd eel up to a couple of pound (bloody things!!).  Those were the days :default_biggrin:

Chris

• Like 2

7 hours ago, floydraser said:

Anyway, back to the main subject. The reason I said a two piece was that I thought it would be easier to leave it kitted up in the boat and therefore quicker to whip out for a bit of dangling in between jobs. Someone in the marina expressed a view that telescopics weren't so good? I would be interested in your opinion. 

You're more than welcome, I can always wax lyrical on fishing! 😃 

As for telescopics, they have absolutely been transformed in the last few years. Gone are the days of heavy stiff fiberglass tubes with glued chrome effect eyes on rings. (Not that I am doing that design down. My most favourite session ever was with one of those) but these days they have whipped eyes a thinner lighter blank, a choice of handle material and length. Any strength or casting weight you could hope for. I have found that there is still a bit of a reluctance to embrace them from some quarters. But for occasional broads fishing they're great! The Chinese Market offers a great selection. And even if says something like "spinning rod" or "lure fishing" then don't discount it. Even some of the hardened carp boys have embraced them for their weekend behind buzzers! 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Londonlad1985 said:

You're more than welcome, I can always wax lyrical on fishing! 😃 

As for telescopics, they have absolutely been transformed in the last few years. Gone are the days of heavy stiff fiberglass tubes with glued chrome effect eyes on rings. (Not that I am doing that design down. My most favourite session ever was with one of those) but these days they have whipped eyes a thinner lighter blank, a choice of handle material and length. Any strength or casting weight you could hope for. I have found that there is still a bit of a reluctance to embrace them from some quarters. But for occasional broads fishing they're great! The Chinese Market offers a great selection. And even if says something like "spinning rod" or "lure fishing" then don't discount it. Even some of the hardened carp boys have embraced them for their weekend behind buzzers! 

Thanks once again. I think one of those may be more practical for a start.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't do much fishing nowadays but I still use my old 12ft split cane rod with a Mitchell 304 reel, not the best one that Mitchells produced but both have stood the test of time. I don't buy expensive floats, I just make my own from goose quills and other bird quills. Yep, that suits me. Incidentally, I never use a keepnet and use barbless hooks.

I also have a MK4 carp rod which I use if I see any pike around. I built it myself from split cane blanks and I am very proud of my work, it seems a lost skill nowadays. At one time you could buy the whipping silk and eyes from tackle shops but they just look at you strangely when you ask if they have any in stock.

Oh dear, am I getting old? 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Popeye said:

Oh dear, am I getting old? 

Well, on the evidence shown here....:default_smiley-char054:

I had a look around a tackle shop for eyes and thread but all I found was the normal selection of different rods and a wide selection of floats, fancy baits and different boxes to put every little thing in. I looked at the reels but couldn't understand the sizes; my memory seems to recall just three sizes: small, medium and sea. It now looks like the marketing people are telling me I need a different reel for every 10 yards I want to cast! I don't chuffing think so. 

With the benefit of time, I ordered new eyes from China (Ebay) as they didn't seem to available from anywhere else. I learned the whipping properly from a Youtube video by Harrison Rods. Nice of them but I won't be having one of theirs at £300+!

• Like 2

We have used telescopic rods on the Broads for years. Cheapo ones that we got from L'tharmes for a few quits each. Very handy on the boat because you can slide the leads and float down towards the hook, attach the hook to the reel seat and stow them easily and safely when not in use. I also have a 5M elasticated whip which serves well for still water fishing, a large good quality landing net and a couple of cheap reels. With this simple and inexpensive kit, Mrs O and I have had many hours of angling pleasure and, between us, some very respectable fish. Keep expensive accessories to a minimum. A wise friend once told me that most of the stuff you see in tackle shops is there to catch anglers, nor fish

• Like 4

With regards to Mouldy's las post, it seems he has the same attitude as mine regarding tackle. Keep it simple and keep it cheap.

I have noticed that a decent rod and reel can be bought for a modest price in some of these second hand shops.

With regards to my floats I find that the goose wing feathers are the best for making almost any size of float. I just cut them to size and dip one end in some red or yellow paint and leave them to dry. In that way if lose a float it is no great hole in my pocket to replace it.

When I was a lad we used to buy peacock quills and cut them to size. You get a funny look when you ask for those too in tackle shops. 

One thing that set me off was when the guy moored behind me started fishing in the empty berth beside my boat. He was using a 6ft spinning rod and reel, one he had bought on a card for his young son. His bait looked like a bright bit of silicone and he was getting perch one after the other.

I only ever used one float all the time I fished before. It was a feather with a bit of a cork body and a wire eye whipped on the end. It was an old hand me down when I got it.

I see loads of kit for sale on FB marketplace but the prices seem to be more than brand new! Another reason not to spend big and expect to get anything back.

I also have a home built fibreglass carp rod which has a 2lb test curve. That rod could whack out a 2oz Arlesey bomb and bait over 100yds. I would be frightened to use my split cane carp rod for long distance casting like that for fear of breaking a dear old friend.

My days of carp fishing are over now, just a couple of hours morning or evening occasionally does me but only when on the boat. I usually go for the bigger Bream, we used to catch them in gravel pits on 8lb line when carp fishing and did not even know they were on until they broke the surface laying on their sides. Some were over 5lb but with not a bit of fight in them. River Bream are much better and a five pounder gives a great fight on 2lb line.  

• Like 2

I used to make my own floats out of balsa, cork, reeds, goose quills and elder pith. I glued discs of whichever flotation medium I was using onto a bit of stick - lolipop, kebab, coctail or whatever depending on the size of float I wanted, clamped the end of the stick in my dad's electric drill and then sanded the float to the desired shape before painting the body, whipping a wire eye onto the bottom and adding a tip of hi-vis paint to the top. They worked well, only cost me the paint I used and I still have most of them. 

• Like 2