Electric Retrofit?

15 hours ago, BelgianExile said:

Interesting discussion though - I do think it's when, not if, though. Prices at the moment are a bit prohibitive, but I guess a large part of that may be an early adopter tax. There is an appeal of having something that's arguably kinder to the environment (notwithstanding disposal issues) and with much less maintenance.

Absolutely.

I don't think you'll see pure-electric hire boats in 5 years, but I suspect that you will in 10-20 years.

Going Green will not be cheaper but if legislation as in some city centras happens going electric allows you access ablit at a higher initial cost  but cheaper per mile used along with cheaper servicing and whisper quiet.  And Smoggy ground source heat still requires electric to run pump and compressor, running cost 1/3rd free heat 2/3rds i guess it would work on a boat but you would need an awful lot of pipe work under the boat to carry the liquid much the same for a air source heating a big heat exchanger on rear of the boat that needs electric. John

18 minutes ago, annv said:

Going Green will not be cheaper but if legislation as in some city centras happens going electric allows you access ablit at a higher initial cost  but cheaper per mile used along with cheaper servicing and whisper quiet.  And Smoggy ground source heat still requires electric to run pump and compressor, running cost 1/3rd free heat 2/3rds i guess it would work on a boat but you would need an awful lot of pipe work under the boat to carry the liquid much the same for a air source heating a big heat exchanger on rear of the boat that needs electric. John

Not convinced about the length of pipework as the water under is doing the moving where in the ground the water in the pipe has to move to warmer ground, still needs leccy for sure but less than an immersion.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, annv said:

Hi Smoggy a small  48v DC diesel geny like a Panda would work a lot better and give free hot water. John

Pandas, inject the cooling water into the exhaust inside the quiet box, it would require major engineering to take the water out, round the heating circuit then back inside the quiet box to be injected into the exhaust..

32 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Not convinced about the length of pipework as the water under is doing the moving where in the ground the water in the pipe has to move to warmer ground, still needs leccy for sure but less than an immersion.

The pipework could double up as torpedo tubes, for those pesky hirers that get in the way :default_2gunsfiring_v1:

• Haha 3

The answer for boats is obvious and it’s not charging points it’s replaceable battery packs. Moor up swap out drive repeat. They could be delivered by electric van. 
when the battery and solar or wind industry starts using ethically sourced rare earth metals it might even happen. Personally speaking the toll of 6 yr old boys and girls in the DMRC is currently a bit steep. 

m

• Like 1

Replaceable battery packs for boats, and cars for that matter, would require an industry standard 'form factor' to be adopted. Then you would need the design to be such that they are very easily accessible and lift-able without heavy gear.

Not impossible - think of AAA, AA, C, D cells etc, but it would need individual manufacturers to talk to each other and agree it. Not an easy task.

• Like 1

Lol of course. Battery packs would be externally accessible via a locked opening slide out shelves to take the weight, small ones for day pootle big ones for heading south. 
The only problem is common sense is required ( and an ethical source of rare earth metals). I must admit my patience with electric cars are green is wafer thin…Simply put they are not. The unassailable facts are there for all if one looks past the greenwashing 

• Like 6

On 05/12/2021 at 11:08, socrates said:

Not sure if the owner of Dawn Star is on here, but someone might know a bit more about the history of this boat which had an electric motor fitted several years back. 

Hello there, 

Just tuned in and read this. Dawn Star passed into my ownership in September of this year. She has an electric power unit, this was fitted quite a few years ago now. I started to look at ways and means to upgrade, change batteries, with a view to increasing both torque and range. I've set this aside now until next Spring. Concentrating on more immediate repairs and modifications. I did get a quote from an extremely reputable source. Eyewatering.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Smoggy said:

I'm still hanging out for warp drive to become a reality, or a 'back to the future' style flux capacitor so you could leave the pub at closing time and be back in time for the previous opening time.

You could warp back to a time when you could get under Potter Higham  bridge on a low tide ...

On 07/12/2021 at 20:18, Malanka said:

Lol of course. Battery packs would be externally accessible via a locked opening slide out shelves to take the weight, small ones for day pootle big ones for heading south. 
The only problem is common sense is required ( and an ethical source of rare earth metals). I must admit my patience with electric cars are green is wafer thin…Simply put they are not. The unassailable facts are there for all if one looks past the greenwashing 

Problem with battery Packs is it wouldn't  be slide them out .. It would be Crane them out. A tesla pack weighs 1200 lbs (545kg)

As you say not necessarily greener but they are pollution free at the point of use and allows city centra use which can only get more prolific along with outer city areas as vehicles get banned unless electric powered. But!! there are much more benefits for electric boating as no recharging points needed on a daily basis (Hire craft excluded) along with cheaper refits, which are not possible on vehicles so new vehicle purchase is required. John

i still find it impossible to know what to think, that suitable electric vehicles are being sold in their thousands, yet are still technically illegal to use unless you are hiring them in trial areas, by that I mean electric scooters, considering the governments push to go electric, it does seem a silly situation, legalise them, require insurance for them and some standard of safety test, and let people use them, for short trips (under 5 miles) they are a great way to move one person from A to B, we have a trial running in canterbury, but 2 out of every 3 scooters I see are not hire ones, thus technically illegal to use. at least 95% I see in use are being ridden responsibly and with consideration for pedestrians.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bikertov said:

Whilst I agree with your sentiment grendel, Unfortunately I would say that only 5% of the ones I see being used are being ridden responsibly ...

I've only Seen 1 scooter being ridden legally in Norwich.. The majority have been on pavements, both Legal Hire scooters and illegal private scooters. Those on the roads have been Illegal private scooters, including one several times outside Norwich North Police station.. I've also seen them illegally with two on board.. 

Many of those on them, are underage for a license..

Also came across one in Stalham which pulled out from in front of a parked transit van, which I was passing at the time.. lots of braking required and a good blast of the horn...

• Like 1

On 11/12/2021 at 19:09, Bikertov said:

See - there is always more than one way to solve a problem !

Could always buy an amphibious boat and drive it out of the water on one side of the bridge and then back down the other side! (Think I'd better go and take a pill!! :default_biggrin::default_gbxhmm::default_hiding:

Chris

• Haha 1