Usual Christmas Warning

addicted

Just my usual word of caution to all you dog owners out there, Please bear in mind when trying to include your dog in the Christmas festivities  that whjle your dog may love turkey, turkey doesn't love them and is very liable to cause diaorrhea and other tummy disorders.  I give this advice on the back of many years spent in the pet trade and remembering the shipping order of diaorrhea tablets we used to place with the whoesalers this time of year. Merry Christmas everyone.

Carole

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There's not much food wise that will make my Tina ill, only the lack of it makes her grumpy.

Probably a different story with pedigree dogs.

A car and roundabouts is another matter, always a messy affair but I guess after doing a 17 hour trip in a cage in the back of a van from romania she has a right to get iffy travelling, yet a pouncy trip out of yarmouth doesn't seem to bother her.

Also remember thing like chocolate and onions (and related veg) are actually poisonous for dogs so keep the after dinner munchies for yourselves.

• Like 3

Mine eats raw, turkey is on the menu every few days, so perhaps it makes a difference once it’s cooked, although I buy frozen cooked chicken pieces as training treats. He eats anything I give him to be honest, tripe, minced rabbit including guts, pheasant carcass etc and he like cheese as a treat too. He stole a pheasant breast I’d just taken off bird the other night, was very cross, but he is as gentle as you like when retrieving them when working, so obviously doesn’t associate an actual bird with dinner!

• Like 2

Few Christmas seasons ago our lot managed five pouches of lindt chocolate money. We knew who and how much by the appearance of the foil shells over time. We knew how many went in and we counted em all back out, was such fun. They used one “fall guy dog” to climb on the chair then the table to get to the shelves, then it was all for one etc. 

this year so far it’s one metal tin of Christmas Bickies. Metal, height, cupboards, they’ll get it. Only safe place is on the top of the fridge.

Ours also eat Raw as well with raw chopped or grated veggies, they are incredibly healthy now we stopped using tinned and or dried mush. They even try and steal raw cauliflower and cabbage or carrots. No veg is safe. 
we only give them KC approved veg and no leftovers.

My biggest concern runs to xylitol which will kill them from very limited exposure. So please be careful with kiddies sweeties and drinks. 

• Like 2

Xylitol is also in cheap peanut butter, which I know lots of dogs love (the p.butter that is). 
Re veg: Finlay grazes all day at my allotments, cabbage stalks are a favourite and he nicks any raspberries and apples within reach. I have to watch my peas and runner beans too. Half a cucumber and a carrot go down well too. I don’t let him have tomatoes (he doesn’t pick them anyway) and he also doesn’t seem to bother with my grapes vines, grapes are meant to be particularly bad for dogs. He must know! 
I would encourage raw feeding for any dog as long as you can cope with the slight messiness, and not to go for the really expensive ones which I think are just companies jumping on the band wagon. I use dogs butcher and can buy direct, although I get it from a supplier as it’s actually cheaper. It’s nice chunky mince and you can see the different stuff in it, some look like mush. 

5 hours ago, kpnut said:

Mine eats raw, turkey is on the menu every few days, so perhaps it makes a difference once it’s cooked, although I buy frozen cooked chicken pieces as training treats. He eats anything I give him to be honest, tripe, minced rabbit including guts, pheasant carcass etc and he like cheese as a treat too. He stole a pheasant breast I’d just taken off bird the other night, was very cross, but he is as gentle as you like when retrieving them when working, so obviously doesn’t associate an actual bird with dinner!

Our dog is also raw fed, he won't touch pork or lamb though. He loves tripe, and the odd bit of cheese. :default_smile:

Guest Trembler
1 hour ago, Malanka said:

And now Fiona is torturing me. Stuffed full of full chicken roast and she walked in bringing this with her….61AA2DBD-FBED-415D-A070-0575339FA668.thumb.jpeg.dcf86ce3e03095be8feb740e06863da2.jpegHome made pastry and local butchers sausage meat. 
Im so drooling 

Wow they look delicious :default_smile:

My Bulldog loves fruit. His absolute favourite is bananas especially with custard. He also spends a lot of his summer sat amongst the strawberry plants watching the berries ripen before gently sucking the fruit off the stalks. We have never had a feed of strawberries ourselves and blamed the birds until I caught him one day!

• Haha 4

Same with Desmond. He spent ages picking off the blackberries in the garden and I struggle at the best of times to keep his weight down. He loves bananas, raw carrots , raw broccoli and cauliflower. 

Another no no for hounds are raisins and grapes

• Like 2

Tripe is a very good diet for any dog. We used to sell 100s of pounds of it. Tony used to go to the abattoir  very early in the morning to select the tripes and then prepare them himself using a huge industrial mincer.  As a general rule we used to find that the dogs most likerly to suffer from stomach ailments were Boxers. Of course this didn't apply to all Boxers but  certainly we had a lot of regular customers with Boxers that we used to stock special food for. For all the customers that used to ignore the "not too much turkey " warning we also  stocked a particularly effective carpet cleaner! 

Carole

Raw pork risk used to be liver fluke, if you remember that far back you could spot where the parasite burrowed it’s way through pork and ham joints by the tell tale horse shoe shaped mark in the flesh. Used to be approx 72% infected with it. Not these days with better husbandry. 

Dog stomachs are conditioned to eat Carion so a little raw pig should be fine.  

M

• Like 1