Hello

Bogart

On 22/01/2022 at 22:32, Bogart said:

Nice to be wanted thank you. Dinghy sailed on Caldecotte lake many years ago.

Well we can't all be perfect..:default_biggrin:

Welcome to the site from a Former Member of Dovecote / Haversham Sailing club at MK, Now a member of Horning Sailing Club and Snowflake sailing clubs . Well actually I was a member of HSC and SSC during my time at Haversham /Dovecote.

On 23/01/2022 at 14:24, addicted said:

A warm welcome from me also. Hope you find the forum entertaining and informative which most of the time it is.

Carole

I quite agree Carol.
Welcome from me, also a relative newbie who has been made most welcome on this forum. Kate

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Bogart said:

Never knew there was a club at Haversham.

There's also clubs at Olney and the Stewartby clay pits.. The Stewartby lake must be a lot more pleasant now you don't have the brickworks smoke blowing across the lake.. .

We were Originally at Dovecote lake which is the one Nearest the M1, but that had permission for motorboats, so we got turfed off of there to move to Haversham, and they built a brand new clubhouse for us. A couple of years later someone bought all the lakes off ARC construction who dug them for gravel to construct the M1..

That person then put in for planning permission for golf clubs hotels etc, only to be told it's green belt NO chance.. So he was in difficulty, so he offered the clubhouse and lake to the club for IIRC £140,000.. The club accepted the offer and then got a grant from the lottery for £100,000...

So now the club is one of the most financially secure in the country, owning their own facilities and sailing waters. Most clubs are on rented land and don't own the waters..

I was on the committee at the start of the above.

The Milton Keynes club had great difficulties, they were on Willen Lake and had their club house sold out from under them, which became a commercial watersports centre..

7 hours ago, TheQ said:

There's also clubs at Olney and the Stewartby clay pits.. The Stewartby lake must be a lot more pleasant now you don't have the brickworks smoke blowing across the lake.. .

We were Originally at Dovecote lake which is the one Nearest the M1, but that had permission for motorboats, so we got turfed off of there to move to Haversham, and they built a brand new clubhouse for us. A couple of years later someone bought all the lakes off ARC construction who dug them for gravel to construct the M1..

That person then put in for planning permission for golf clubs hotels etc, only to be told it's green belt NO chance.. So he was in difficulty, so he offered the clubhouse and lake to the club for IIRC £140,000.. The club accepted the offer and then got a grant from the lottery for £100,000...

So now the club is one of the most financially secure in the country, owning their own facilities and sailing waters. Most clubs are on rented land and don't own the waters..

I was on the committee at the start of the above.

The Milton Keynes club had great difficulties, they were on Willen Lake and had their club house sold out from under them, which became a commercial watersports centre..

Sounds a prudent bit of business.