Reflections On Reflection

SwanR

It's that time again, my annual March tale that was derailed last year by lockdown but thankfully able to go ahead this year as planned.

As many already know, apart from a family holiday back in the 90s, Swan Reflection 1 was the first boat we hired. And it started our love affair with the Broads that culminated in us moving here 18 months ago. We've hired both number 1 and number 2 many times from both Swancraft initially and now Richardson's. So it was very special that ten years after that first time, we were back on SR1. 

Our short breaks are usually midweek so this was a first for us, a long weekend, Saturday to Tuesday, with the novelty value of being able to hand the boat back Tuesday morning and then be at work by 9.30am. But that's getting ahead of myself. There was no need to pack until Saturday morning as we live a short drive from the yard. No long journey for us, a quiet morning at home, an early lunch around midday and then along to Stalham for 1pm. 

Richardson's are still operating their queue at the barriers system, then they direct you to your boat where you wait in your car until someone comes over to do your handover. We had a very nice chap, very friendly, made sure we put our buoyancy aids on, showed us over the boat and then took us out for a trial run. Despite all the years of hiring this boat it was still nice to get a little confidence back with a few minutes down the Ant and back, before loading everything on board and getting away. We probably left by around 2pm. Destination undecided.

We saw the flash of a kingfisher as we headed towards Barton Broad. It was a nice day but the wind was up and there were proper waves on the Broad. One even splashed right over the front of the boat. I didn't particularly enjoy that crossing and was happy to get across and head towards Irstead. If it had been free I would have taken it, but somewhat predictably there was no room. So we headed on down to How Hill. Only a couple of other boats there so I came slowly alongside and that was my first mooring done. I was fortunate that throughout the trip, mooring against the tide landed me with my port side against the bank which gave me much better visibility. 

We went for a walk although it was pretty cold by late afternoon. The wind was biting and we weren't out long. Then it was a quiet evening onboard and early to bed ready for our first full day.

IMG_2688.thumb.jpeg.47c54c6d581493b1b2bb4d19df99e089.jpeg

IMG_2687.thumb.jpeg.6e59221abc80fc2e63683933411f85a7.jpeg

P1040888.thumb.jpeg.dbbf09df3f64f9ed98c6c1384d7e54ca.jpeg

IMG_2693.thumb.jpeg.6e7a6381fbecb09bb4a7bdb92f9b7259.jpeg

• Like 20

Personally I think the swancraft boats are some of the best built of this design, royall swan is another. Sadly all have ended up at bigger yards and I don't think they receive the tlc they once did. I do like some of the new flooring and upholstery Richardson's have added to them it looks very smart in my opinion. Cracking photos.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Jean.    Good to see you and hubby out and about again on the river.    Thank goodness everything went ahead as planned and no hiccups this time,   what with either the 'weather' or 'covid'.    In fact the weather has been out of this world and although a tad chilly in the wind at times , behind glass it is lovely.      How wonderful to have all those moorings to yourself.     

Keep your tale coming,  it is keeping the rest of us going, until it is our turn to once again be out and about.

:default_beerchug:

• Thanks 1

Hi Jean

Well done. A lovely start to your voyage and we look forward to more. We can't wait to get there in May though, as you know, we'll not have a cruiser, just a cottage and a day boat, but we certainly look forward to seeing some of the rivers and also meeting up with you at Broadlands, all being well.

Safe sailing.

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for all the comments.

17 hours ago, Ray said:

It must have felt a bit like coming home to take the helm of SR1 again 🙂

I do feel very proprietorial about that boat, and number 2. If ever Richardson's put one of them up for sale, it's mine. But these ex-Swancraft boats hire out so well, I can't see that happening.

12 hours ago, Broads01 said:

why didn't you enjoy the Barton Broad crossing?

Oh ... it took me a number of years before I came close to enjoying that open expanse of water. I'm so confused by the different channels depending where you want to go. Thankfully there were no sailies about but it was very windy and choppy. Just too open for me and too confusing. I've not done Breydon yet and I have a feeling I wouldn't like that any better! :default_rofl:

12 hours ago, andyg said:

Sadly all have ended up at bigger yards and I don't think they receive the tlc they once did.

Now that's true. The boat was clean and tidy on the inside, absolutely fine. And a few new items like a new grill tray and possibly even a change of microwave. But on the outside it was mucky, where you come onto the boat at the stern needed a clean. Consequently we didn't worry too much about cleaning it before we handed it back, but we probably gave it back cleaner on the outside than we took it over.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johnash said:

we certainly look forward to seeing some of the rivers and also meeting up with you at Broadlands, all being well.

Yes, looking forward to it. I'm sure we will manage that catch up at some point. :default_drink_2:

So onto Day 2, which was Sunday.

We woke quite early but that's the pattern of our Broads holidays. I'm very much a morning person and I like to get up and get on. Hubby prefers a slower start to his mornings but has learned to embrace my wish to be away from the moorings by 8-8.30. :)

Breakfast done, washing up done and we were soon ready for off. I must add here that you never have a problem with hot water on these boats. Instant very hot water even in the morning without any need to turn the engine on. So that tends to be our once a day washing up time which conserves the water.

As we meandered down the Ant, hubby took us through Ludham Bridge before handing the helm back to me to decide where to go. I had been pondering this and it was a decision only made as we approached the junction with the Bure. On our last trip in October we had done the Ant, having hired from Stalham, and the Bure between Acle and Salhouse, but not Fleet Dyke or the Thurne. So I turned left and then right to head down Fleet Dyke. Our aim for this weekend was just to get away from everything, and to enjoy some peace and quiet and solitude.

Fancying a coffee stop we moored up, and I was delighted to spot Kate (Kpnut), who came over for a chat. Wonderful to meet up again. :default_icon_wave: After that coffee and something nice to eat with it, we headed off for a pootle around South Walsham Outer and Inner Broads. However it was very grey skies and gusty winds so the scenery was not at its best. The next decision was where to head for lunchtime, back to Horning or round to Womack Water. I'm not over fond of the Bure between Fleet Dyke and the Thurne Mouth, but that was where we went. Having heard such good things about the carvery at the King's Arms in Ludham we thought we would give it a go.

But first to get moored up. As we cruised down Womack Dyke I could have pulled into the moorings there and called it a day. A little soon to find our overnight mooring perhaps given the shortness of a 3 night break. So we carried onto Womack Water. But I kind of wished I hadn't. It looked to me as if there is development work going on along there. Perhaps I just haven't cruised that stretch for quite a long time. We reached Womack Water only to find work being done along the private end and lots of boats therefore already moored along the public moorings. I got in easy enough, but there were lots of people and noise and it just didn't have the right feeling.

We wandered up to the pub for lunch. Food was good, reasonably priced, but we hadn't realised that we should have booked. It was so busy that they squeezed us onto a table in the pub not the restaurant which was reserved for someone else about an hour later. We were very grateful for that, the service was fine, but it's never been one of my Broads favourites. Kudos to them for adapting and surviving the pandemic. Happy to go there when we're moored in the area but just not in my top five.

Anyway ... it therefore wasn't long before we got back on board SR1 and headed off. Next decision coming up. Where to moor for the night. We both agreed that we had loved our mooring at Fleet Dyke so much that we would simply head back there. No hassle, very peaceful, lovely outlook and a nice walk available up to the top with the view across to St Benets. And that is where we ended Day 2. Kate was just leaving as we arrived so with a wave we passed each other again, and we moored up for a lovely evening. 

IMG_2699.thumb.jpeg.77162a7a502599ece70410960e71a12b.jpeg

IMG_2700.thumb.jpeg.10a2320681d832311ec5db03b5c2010f.jpeg

IMG_2713.thumb.jpeg.04239666704e41d2a2bf07cb4050a4e8.jpeg

• Like 10

34 minutes ago, SwanR said:

Oh ... it took me a number of years before I came close to enjoying that open expanse of water. I'm so confused by the different channels depending where you want to go. Thankfully there were no sailies about but it was very windy and choppy. Just too open for me and too confusing. I've not done Breydon yet and I have a feeling I wouldn't like that any better! :default_rofl:

The channel across Breydon is very clearly defined by marker posts and much easier to navigate than Barton (in my opinion).  It can get a bit choppy, but to be fair some sections of The Yare do too! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, SwanR said:

Now that's true. The boat was clean and tidy on the inside, absolutely fine. And a few new items like a new grill tray and possibly even a change of microwave. But on the outside it was mucky, where you come onto the boat at the stern needed a clean. Consequently we didn't worry too much about cleaning it before we handed it back, but we probably gave it back cleaner on the outside than we took it over.

Sadly my only gripe with Richardson's I'm afraid. But that's a different debate. I have a broadsman booked for later this year, it will be interesting to see how that stacks up for quality against the Dazzling light we had last year. Both boats so called premium class boats. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SwanR said:

Oh ... it took me a number of years before I came close to enjoying that open expanse of water. I'm so confused by the different channels depending where you want to go. Thankfully there were no sailies about but it was very windy and choppy. Just too open for me and too confusing. I've not done Breydon yet and I have a feeling I wouldn't like that any better! 

I agree with Malcolm. Breydon is definitely less confusing than Barton Broad. At least on Breydon you don’t have that second lot of posts around the island and the ones going off toward Neatishead. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A lovely record of your short break, Jean. I first crossed Breydon with my Dad in 1961 on Sabre II from Geo Smith of Wroxham. (We learned recently that the father of a friend of ours here in Spain ran that boatyard!). I've loved the excitement of crossing Breydon ever since... not that we've been able to be on the rivers since the late 1990s, regrettably. Surprised the moorings at Womack were so busy.... in March! Wonderful pictures of empty moorings elsewhere. 

• Thanks 1

Yes Jean, it was so good to catch up with you.
While you were cruising along to Womack and partaking of your lunch, Finlay springer and I walked round the marshes from south walsham moorings, had a sit down at the end of Upton dyke to watch the world go by, then couldn’t resist a half of cider in the white horse at Upton along with a pasty from the shop, and then back round via Pilson Green to the boat. That’s why I was only just leaving as you came back again!

I did enjoy a drink in the Kings Arms the previous monday, it was truly heaving even then early on a weeknight  I was very surprised  

Fleet dyke is one of my favourite mooring stretches, on the mooring posts if I want it easy, or with the rhond anchors if feeling less lazy!

Looking forward to your Monday tale. Xx

• Love 1

Another thumbs up from me for The White Horse at Upton. It would be our go-to place except for not being sure if we can moor up at Upton Staithe. (A bit tight to turn around if there’s no room at the Staithe). I love the fact that it’s a community owned pub, up more importantly the food is great. Is a fairly easy walk from Acle though. 

• Like 3

Yes I can see how the channels on Barton could be confusing. With the island, my brain always wants to work out which side of it I should be but I know in reality there are channels both sides. It's a beautiful stretch of water though and the openness is nothing to worry about.

• Thanks 1

Onto Day 3 which was Monday.

Our second full day but knowing that we had to end up somewhere in striking distance of Richardson's for the next morning. It was actually the best day of the trip, the weather was beautiful and the cruising was fine. With blue skies today we set off round South Walsham Broad again and enjoyed a very leisurely cruise watching the wildlife. Then back up Fleet Dyke and a left turn at the top. Very little moored at St Benet's as we cruised on past the Ant Mouth towards Horning.

However this proved to be the next impulsive decision as I spied Cockshoot Dyke with only one boat there. Easy pickings then to come alongside for ... yes, a cup of coffee and something nice to eat with it. We then enjoyed a walk down to the hide where we spent a while quietly observing the Broad. Not actually much wildlife in view but it was lovely just the same. 

Back to the boat and with no real reason to carry on to Horning we turned around and headed back for ... Ranworth. We moored there about 11am and spent a lovely time chatting to other hirers while we topped up the water. We had only used about a quarter of the tank but it took a very long time to fill up. Anyway ... by this time it was about midday and we trundled over to the the Maltsters for lunch. The food was nice even if the portions were far too large. I would prefer a slightly lesser price for a slightly smaller plate but it always makes a good lunch stop if we're moored at the staithe.

On arriving back at the boat we decided it was time enough to make our way back up the Ant to find a mooring for overnight. Now ... hubby was getting the ropes off, I had the engine started, when I spied an NBN pennant on the boat now moored next to us. Peering round the front I realised it was SteveO and Nik. So a quick hello to introduce myself as their roof was back. And a nice little chat before I very carefully pulled out of the mooring and headed away across the Broad.

As we headed up the Ant I was at the helm for Ludham Bridge this time, and I didn't pass one single boat on the move right from the Ant mouth until I was through the bridge and well past the moorings. Wonderful! The rivers had felt relatively busy over the weekend for March but Monday was much quieter. As we approached Irstead I really wanted to pull in but ... no boats, just fishermen taking up all the room. Well it was the last fishing day before the closed season so I carried on. Soon back across Barton Broad we headed for Paddy's Lane. That's another favourite spot of ours.

We had a lovely walk, watched the colours fade in the sky and then settled in for a quiet evening. 

I will be back with a short Day 4 and my thoughts on the boat before this tale finishes with a couple of little videos. Stay tuned! 

P1040904.thumb.jpeg.7c4a980e2d6dc3ef1c563385c1c91304.jpeg

IMG_2738.thumb.jpeg.c382b4ececca79c4a533e0ade7bd99d1.jpeg

IMG_2741.thumb.jpeg.85927410c91eca7c15d50af61d84de72.jpeg

P1040924.thumb.jpeg.53180a8025a33b1703d8d43e8aefa568.jpeg

IMG_2749.thumb.jpeg.c4d6f6bee703198958a6f38fe06c6456.jpeg

IMG_2760.thumb.jpeg.d375909695a5b2e3ffd568456eae02b0.jpeg

• Like 9

46 minutes ago, SwanR said:

We then enjoyed a walk down to the hide where we spent a while quietly observing the Broad. Not actually much wildlife in view but it was lovely just the same. 

How far is the walk and are dogs allowed? We havent moored there thinking there was nowhere to walk to

• Thanks 1