Water Rail Out And About.

21 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

It doesn't matter what you call it, it'll still make you go blind.

Oh MM, please do behave. I have images in my head I just can't shake off :facepalm:Wrong turn of phrase maybe :default_biggrin:

Grace x

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

When I finally went outside, I noticed that I was only tied up at the back on one line, the other having chafed through due to the   constant  movement  all night.

Needless to say, the eye splice is redone, and the rope is now shorter. 

20240809_093527.jpg

• Like 2

I always carried lengths of plastic to avoid chaffing. Leant the hard way with my warps rubbing concrete quay headings in harbours. Would more like this for Winter even in Broadsedge.

Screenshot_20240809_095312_Photos.thumb.jpg.717dbf8d22b6fe981ec10fef1630c59c.jpgp

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

I always carried lengths of plastic to avoid chaffing. . . . . . . . . . .

Steady!  This is supposed to be a family friendly Forum! 😉

• Haha 8

It's been a busy day with the wooden boat show, meeting everyone, sailing model boats down the road behind the moorings at high tide, I spent some time cooking a batch of mini grendels for  the bring and share tonight

20240810_153852.jpg

• Like 7
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, grendel said:

sailing model boats down the road behind the moorings at high tide

Does that mean the water levels are still high? Last time we were in Beccles (June) the tarmac strip behind the southern side of the moorings was still turning into a big puddle at high tide.

:default_huh:

2 hours ago, YnysMon said:

Does that mean the water levels are still high? Last time we were in Beccles (June) the tarmac strip behind the southern side of the moorings was still turning into a big puddle at high tide.

We’ve been moored at the Dutch Tea Garden moorings since this morning, on the end of the pontoon.  At high tide this afternoon, the main mooring almost overtopped.  I’m guessing that the wind has had some impact, as it was quite breezy earlier and it only died down late this afternoon.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, YnysMon said:

I’m at Beccles now, dodging the karaoke!  It’s not overtopped but there’s some issue with a drainage valve or something causing the flooding, awaiting parts apparently.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

We’ve been moored at the Dutch Tea Garden moorings since this morning, on the end of the pontoon.  At high tide this afternoon, the main mooring almost overtopped.  I’m guessing that the wind has had some impact, as it was quite breezy earlier and it only died down late this afternoon.

Surely a bit of breeze didn’t used to affect water levels so much during summer months? Okay, we haven’t been to the Broads since mid June, but I doubt that anyone can deny there’s something weird going on with the northern brads river levels this year. In the Spring I was very willing to believe the amount of rain was the cause, but we haven’t exactly had a deluge recently.

Whats going on?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, YnysMon said:

Surely a bit of breeze didn’t used to affect water levels so much during summer months? Okay, we haven’t been to the Broads since mid June, but I doubt that anyone can deny there’s something weird going on with the northern brads river levels this year. In the Spring I was very willing to believe the amount of rain was the cause, but we haven’t exactly had a deluge recently.

Whats going on?

Definitely something weird going on, only managed Coltishall once and barely made it back by the skin of my gel coat before the levels went up again.  Seems to be 3 or 4 inches higher than last year.

Griff is going to take photos of his depth sounder when he returns north as he experienced some very shallow water on the Bure, hopefully more evidence of the famous hump.

• Like 5

The higher water levels must be to do with the bure hump / lower bure. 

It doesn’t explain the high water yesterday on the south but maybe the sea level has risen just a little to make it noticeable that and higher tides we are experiencing?? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Roy said:

The higher water levels must be to do with the bure hump / lower bure. 

It doesn’t explain the high water yesterday on the south but maybe the sea level has risen just a little to make it noticeable that and higher tides we are experiencing?? 

Wind strength and direction will affect sea levels and the southern rivers can’t drain if sea levels are high.  Last weekend, we were moored at Langley Dyke for two nights and the variation between high and low tides seemed normal.  It wasn’t windy, though, but this weekend my weather app was showing wind speeds of 18mph and gusts up to 31mph.

As for the northern rivers, there does seem to be something affecting their ability to drain.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

After meeting up with Andy the budget angler at Beccles and assisting cleanups the  marquee and fridges, I finally left beccles about 3pm, headed o er to hippersons and got pumped out, then headed downstream at a sedate 5 mph, slowing to ticko er for the numerous kayakers and paddle boarders, got overtaken by several large boats, blasting past at the legal limit.

Laughed  a lot when I got to Somerleyton bridge and  overtook  them all and just went under at 8'3" without dropping the mast, Somerleyton  was full, but I got in at herringfleet,  moored up, set my springs and started cooking tea, all the big boats headed past about 7pm, so the bridge must have opened.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, grendel said:

After meeting up with Andy the budget angler at Beccles and assisting cleanups the  marquee and fridges, I finally left beccles about 3pm, headed o er to hippersons and got pumped out, then headed downstream at a sedate 5 mph, slowing to ticko er for the numerous kayakers and paddle boarders, got overtaken by several large boats, blasting past at the legal limit.

Laughed  a lot when I got to Somerleyton bridge and  overtook  them all and just went under at 8'3" without dropping the mast, Somerleyton  was full, but I got in at herringfleet,  moored up, set my springs and started cooking tea, all the big boats headed past about 7pm, so the bridge must have opened.

Thanks for the chat Saturday nice to meet you and see your lovely model

Good to put a face to the name

Best regards

Silly Billy

• Like 1

Left herringfleet  about 8 am, after breakfast, cruised down the new cut, up the yare stopping at Brundall to purchase some contact cleaner , ending up finding a mooring  at bramerton that had some shade, and just behind rambling Rosie.

• Like 4

After passing a pleasant afternoon  sat in the shade and chatting to  Neil, it was a hot evening, so just lying on top of the bedding with the chill max going, that got me cool enough to sleep until 6 am, then a .leisurely morning breakfasting, and just after 9.30 a leisurely potter up to norwich, where I found a nicely shaded mooring,  sometime  early afternoon I  headed for morrisons, milk, bread, diet coke and some bacon, after which an even slower wander back. Since then I have been sitting  around, watched a few YouTube videos, and trying to keep cool. I might venture out on the paddleboard  shortly and dangle my feet in the water.

• Like 2

Paddle board paddled, feet cooled, prop inspected, someone thought I needed rescuing. So everyone turned up to help me climb the ladder, my swimming style must need improvement if I look like I am struggling, the problem is that I can swim like a fish- ie underwater. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

Well I had to go out on the paddle board  again this morning,  I notice a flapping and splashing on the other bank, a bird had fallen in and was struggling to get out. Turned out it was a young pigeon, so I deployed the paddle board, and went across and lifted it to the bank, it didn't struggle at all, and seemed  very weak, it hasn't moved from where I put it yet, but I think it's conserving it's energy and waiting to dry out.

• Like 2

I once ran over a pigeon. It was walking along the road in front of me and I slowed down as they tend to leave it until last minute before moving off, but a thump-bump and a second thump-bump told me that it hadn’t moved. I consoled myself with the thought that it was a very large pigeon, so probably on its last legs/wings, and probably deaf.

Nowadays I tend to charge at them and not slow down. It’s more effective in making them shift.