Travelling Down To The Boat Tomorrow Evening.

ranworthbreeze

Myself and Chris are travelling down tomorrow to the boat late evening, hopefully it will be cooler and it gives us an extra day on the boat, sadly I have packed Chris's fishing tackle into the car so I will have to practice "that a nice fish" etc, they all look the same to me and none seem to come with out batter on them. Chris picked out a good spot earlier in the year.

We are showing new owners around the boat on Tuesday afternoon.

Regards Alan 

• Like 7

I hope you have managed to get to your boat ok Alan, been a little cooler today hasn't it :default_biggrin:

22 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Good man sir. Keeping hydrated is vital in this, or any other weather,

I do agree, a stop off at Wayford Bridge Inn was a part of my travelling today in order to ensure some hydration :default_wink:

The moorings have been busy, but the pub was pretty quiet. I managed to bag a fireside seat, just to keep warm :default_beerchug:

20220815_164646.thumb.jpg.d143c9845ccb6e929637d08efd30ef90.jpg

Something changed overnight? Moorings have been quiet we thought. Wayford was empty last night we were the only ones there, Dilham too was empty at 12 ish today, we are at Sutton we’re there are a few spare places as well. We had to get some shopping, so off to Tesco at Stalham by lecy outboard and dinghy, was hard pressed to find a mooring 🤪.

Its been a very strange week in how quiet it’s been, with the good weather at the height of the season?

Don’t get me wrong it’s great to just rock up somewhere and moor with no issues but it feels very strange, like a bubble has burst for some or is it just us?

Cheers 

Paul 

4B711CDE-5980-4BED-B2B6-3FD4DFFC5D2D.jpeg

3201BC08-2A33-4874-B33B-989C815751AC.jpeg

D1272787-46D9-4172-8FEC-F6832F2C755F.jpeg

EC1AD7C2-5FB8-4501-BD01-CA15F939B91D.jpeg

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, PCL023 said:

Don’t get me wrong it’s great to just rock up somewhere and moor with no issues but it feels very strange, like a bubble has burst for some or is it just us?

Yes I suspect it has. Prices advertised for this season were mostly just silly. 

22 minutes ago, PCL023 said:

Something changed overnight? Moorings have been quiet we thought. Wayford was empty last night we were the only ones there, Dilham too was empty at 12 ish today, we are at Sutton we’re there are a few spare places as well.

I can only report as I find. I took the last mooring at Wayford until I moved on but having been at Sutton earlier there certainly was moorings available.

6 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

What????! Please tell me it’s just one of those ‘pretend’ fireplaces. 

:default_biggrin: certainly not a pretend fireplace, but maybe a pretend sitting position as I was most definately sat outside :default_beerchug:

I wouldn't wish to be classed as a liar, so here is Sutton Staithe tonight with it's empty moorings in August if you can see them in the dark, I am not very good with a camera :default_biggrin:

20220815_225733.jpg

20220815_225843.jpg

20220815_230031.jpg

20220815_230101.jpg

20220815_230124.jpg

20220815_230240.jpg

20220815_230255.jpg

39 minutes ago, BroadsExplorer said:

I wouldn't wish to be classed as a liar, so here is Sutton Staithe tonight with it's empty moorings in August if you can see them in the dark, I am not very good with a camera :default_biggrin:

20220815_225733.jpg

20220815_225843.jpg

20220815_230031.jpg

20220815_230101.jpg

20220815_230124.jpg

20220815_230240.jpg

20220815_230255.jpg

We are just up from you on the green or not so green part of the Staithe There’s also a 30-35 foot space behind us as well, though you would need night vision to see that from where you are 😊. You did well with the night camera shots 👍.

Not sure why anyone would class you as one of those? Mooring visitors change all the time, quiet one minute busy the next. 

Quite a few boats in the hire yards, there seems to be quite an eclectic mix of start and finish dates, as mentioned this could be down to the pricing structure this year?

Enjoy it. 

Cheers 

Paul 

Well we did get to the boat after hitting road closure after closure. We set off at 8.30 pm after our meeting and expected to get to the boat before midnight. All was going OK right up to Newark we travelled about 18 to 20 miles and saw a road closure sign, a maintenance man waved us on and we traveled about 2 miles further up the road to encounter anothe maintenance man putting cones across the road ready for doing some form of maintenance over the night. I asked him why were there no diversions and what were we to do, his only advice was to go back to Newark.

This added over an hour to our journey, back to the A1 we went south to Grantham and cross country to get us back onto the A17. We encountered another road closure after Sutton Bridge, again no diversion. I stopped near the cones across the road and a van pulled up behind me, I chattered to the driver and he also saw no signs and had been stopped by a different road closure to me previously. A maintenance van pulled behind us and he asked if we wanted to go the other side, we both did so followed him on the narrow back roads, it was like having a bad experience at Brands Hatch travelling at 60 mph with hair pin bends for about 8 miles. We got back onto the right road. We pulled int Horning at 1.15 am and well ready for some sleep after making the beds.

Regards Alan

On 16/08/2022 at 07:00, grendel said:

When I arrived at womak yesterday I slotted straight in, free moorings fluctuated all afternoon and when it finally filled the 2 day boats left, leaving room for Broad Ambition, so even womak has been relatively quiet.

We went there Saturday by car.Full up and plenty of cars too.Just a few car parking spaces left.Think it has bee a quite summer, even though the weather has clearly been dry and sunny.

1 hour ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Well we did get to the boat after hitting road closure after closure. We set off at 8.30 pm after our meeting and expected to get to the boat before midnight. All was going OK right up to Newark we travelled about 18 to 20 miles and saw a road closure sign, a maintenance man waved us on and we traveled about 2 miles further up the road to encounter anothe maintenance man putting cones across the road ready for doing some form of maintenance over the night. I asked him why were there no diversions and what were we to do, his only advice was to go back to Newark.

This added over an hour to our journey, back to the A1 we went south to Grantham and cross country to get us back onto the A17. We encountered another road closure after Sutton Bridge, again no diversion. I stopped near the cones across the road and a van pulled up behind me, I chattered to the driver and he also saw no signs and had been stopped by a different road closure to me previously. A maintenance van pulled behind us and he asked if we wanted to go the other side, we both did so followed him on the narrow back roads, it was like having a bad experience at Brands Hatch travelling at 60 mph with hair pin bends for about 8 miles. We got back onto the right road. We pulled int Horning at 1.15 am and well ready for some sleep after making the beds.

Regards Alan

Overnight road closures are commonplace now and a ruddy nuisance.  Imagine turning up to find your route closed in an artic and the issues that it causes.  I stopped working nights in our office in 2016 and even then I frequently used to get drivers calling in where a road had been closed with either no signed diversion, or the one that was signed, wasn’t suitable for LGVs.

We travel to London to visit family,  from Cambridgeshire and back at least once a fortnight using the A1. usually coming home fairly late at night. We're sick and tired of the constant road closures  we encounter. Often we follow a diversion sign only to be abandoned  with no further signage in some God forsaken backwater in the middle of nowhere! the satnav usually gets us  to somewhere we recognise and off we go again only to meet a similar  situation a few miles further on.

Carole