The Broads

Hylander

I have been looking at some recent reviews of holidays on the Broads and found these two especially disappointing to read to say the least.    What impression is this giving to people who have never visited the Broads before.    So sad.

Screenshot2023-04-15072734.png.c4d25a7a562c8fc095666ac16d43138d.pngScreenshot2023-04-15072630.png.7a4bb427abb0598941a48c9a7cb02aa2.png

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

And yet, up to a point, they are believable sadly. We can guess where both reviewers were talking about without trying too hard. It's not by any means all like that but that won't be obvious to people reading reviews.

I'm not sure there is any answer to the problem as sadly their experience represents today's society "enjoying themselves"

Have the Broads been mis-sold as a destination for so long that there is no turning back. If people came because it was "camping in nature on the water" rather than a "luxury yacht in Monte Carlo" It would improve for us that love it but possibly destroy local businesses.

• Like 6

It’s like so many things. Who stops to write a glowing review compared to anyone who was dissatisfied or disappointed making their feelings known. To some extent with the boat itself you get what you pay for. But we fell in love with the Broads 10 years ago taking holidays in June. Now we prefer March and October because there are less boats around and November was amazing. 

• Like 5

"Camping in Nature on the Water" What a wonderful phrase and that is exactly how I see a Broads holiday

A Norfolk Broads boating holiday is not going to be for everyone

For me it's always been a camping on the water, rough it and tough it in an old boat type of holiday and thoroughly enjoying the experience. For those that want luxury they need to hire the brand new craft at three grand or more a week or indeed go to Monte Carlo :default_biggrin: 

• Like 7

Okay we're  sold on the Broads. We all share a love of boats and water.

It's not for everyone. I do agree re food.I think the standard  of food and choice has dropped in recent years.I hope standards improve soon.Moorings are a problem. My guess these reviews were written by those that were used to perhaps med holidays.And yes in many respects it's camping on the water.The Broads won't be for everyone and that's true to all holidays  not just boating on the broads.Theres over 100 miles available pre plan there's lots to do and see.

Our first boat holiday was in the early 80s, we hired the cheapest (oldest) boat available and a lot of our first ever handover was about turning the greasers and checking the oil every morning and mopping the decks. The water pump failed halfway across Barton and we had to be recovered.

It was an adventure and we loved every minute of it and even though we were a young married couple we knew that somewhere in our future would be our own boat and living in Norfolk.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I remember my first holiday aboard a Gold Gem from Richardson's, she was a bit of a wreck but I fell in love with her and all things Broads. Being allowed to stay up late fishing until the  sun set when the water and wildlife was all you could hear, it was magical then as it still is now

As a family we had a man over board procedure insisted on by my dad, the decks would have to be mopped every day, engine checks etc, no one was allowed outside the boat without a life jacket, the big orange ones was so not a good look :default_biggrin: but we loved every minute 

We've had some wonderful holidays on the Broads ever since. I don't need posh, just a usable boat, sat on the bank with  a glass of wine , bliss x

• Like 9

24 minutes ago, Gracie said:

As a family we had a man over board procedure insisted on by my dad, the decks would have to be mopped every day, engine checks etc, no one was allowed outside the boat without a life jacket, the big orange ones was so not a good look :default_biggrin: but we loved every minute 

You’ve described exactly how I remember boating hols with my brother and parents back in the olden days.  I remember the big orange lifejackets had a distinct smell.  I’d be woken to the sound of the decks being mopped by dad.  The essential items dad brought with him was black tape and a wire coat hanger which he said could fix anything and seem to remember they did.  Happy times 🙂

• Like 4
  • Love 1

So there's a shortage of moorings, strangers have confirmed it. So shall we provide more to benefit the area? No, because now we know they're a rare comodity we can charge for the ones we already have thank you. Brilliant. 

In the first example above the boatyard has clearly failed to manage the expectations of the hirers. These were probably people who would normally go abroad to be fair but even so, the opportunity to impress has now been lost. And on top of that, they have taken to social media where more damage is caused. I'm afraid some businesses around Norfolk need dragging into the 21st century.

you can almost see their itinerary, horning staithe, just one or two mooring spots, all the other spots by the pubs paid for (the swan, ferry inn and new inn), mudweightig at salhouse (where the party boat does a turn around the broad)

still as said its all about expectations, a cruise in the med its not, its more about peace solitude and watching the wildlife, and yes that means you get to put up with the party boat, and if thats not what you wanted from a holiday, then you are bound to be disappointed.

my first trip on the broads i fell in love with the place - my ex, on the other hand hated it, not everyone will feel the same as we do about the place, the reason we joined the forum is that we enjoy the broads, so from our perspective we dont quite understand the negative reviews, newcomers probably dont realise the age of some of the boats, and that must surprise some.

• Like 2

I think we just have to accept that The Broads is not for everyone and we have to be thankful for that.

The overcrowding on The Northern Broads has become worse over the last few years not helped by the closing of so many Hire Fleets in The South.

The constant " hand in your pocket" by so many and not just The BA does not help. 

We are contemplating a few days out on The North next week but a lot of our favourite options are not available. The park at Hoveton is in a shocking mess, Neatishead is still closed and of course the daylight robbery at Ranworth is still happening. Don't even mention that dammed bridge 😭

With the moorings closed at Ludham Bridge mooring options are getting worse even this early in the season. It's no wonder that we are spending so much time in The South now during the main season.

I must admit I do not hark back to "The Good Old Days" as I was not a Broads user until the 90's and I can with certainty say I do not miss a petrol engine and gas radiant heating .

I am quite at home in my fairly well appointed floating caravan that even kept us nice and toasty during that cold snap we had in December when England got knocked out of The World Cup. Hooking up to the mains at Acle Bridge was a bonus and just a Thank You to The Staff who switched them on for us then would not accept payment for the overnight mooring ( not everyone has their hand in your pocket) A group of 8 of us enjoyed a cracking meal in great company, 2 boats and the rest by car. The only trick that Phil had missed was that he had booked a party in during the actual match so could not show it in the pub so I had to watch the game in my warm caravan. Don't think I could have managed that with my first 3 boats.

The biggest gripe has to be the lack of moorings in high season and over public holidays. Horning is bad. Acle will fill up even with the amount of space it has. Ranworth....forget it unless you want to queue up waiting for someone to move. Sutton Staithe - get there early or be prepared to turn around. Neatishead is oversubscribed. Irstead, more chance of winning something on your premium bonds. Potter Heigham - fine if your a hirer, needle in a haystack if you're a privateer and don't want to pay £20? Reedham Quay gets full. Brundall? - until the White Heron moorings open, you can always moor in Broom's yard - if it's not on a changeover day and you don't mind shelling out another £20.  

We've all seen the hire boats cruising past the pub moorings at six in the evening, looking desperately for somewhere to get ashore. Does that experience match the dream of a carefree, back to nature holiday on the peaceful Norfolk Broads? In many respects, it is camping on water, but if you tried to sell that to today's clientele, you'd soon have no customers. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, DAVIDH said:

The biggest gripe has to be the lack of moorings in high season and over public holidays. Horning is bad. Acle will fill up even with the amount of space it has. Ranworth....forget it unless you want to queue up waiting for someone to move. Sutton Staithe - get there early or be prepared to turn around. Neatishead is oversubscribed. Irstead, more chance of winning something on your premium bonds. Potter Heigham - fine if your a hirer, needle in a haystack if you're a privateer and don't want to pay £20? Reedham Quay gets full. Brundall? - until the White Heron moorings open, you can always moor in Broom's yard - if it's not on a changeover day and you don't mind shelling out another £20.  

We've all seen the hire boats cruising past the pub moorings at six in the evening, looking desperately for somewhere to get ashore. Does that experience match the dream of a carefree, back to nature holiday on the peaceful Norfolk Broads? In many respects, it is camping on water, but if you tried to sell that to today's clientele, you'd soon have no customers. 

Just out of interest who do you consider to be today's clientele?

3 hours ago, TFrench89 said:

Just out of interest who do you consider to be today's clientele?

I've been selling Broads boating holidays exclusively for 13 years. I mostly only see newcomers, or people who perhaps visited many years ago, maybe with their parents. A high proportion (though not all) of the people would likely rebook direct with a boatyard if they intend to return. So my clientele tends to be people who have no preconceptions of what a Broads holiday actually is, except for what they see in advertising campaigns and on Youtube of course.

They have likely holidayed abroad many times, and are trying a boating holiday for a change. They are used to a certain standard of accommodation from their previous holidays and maybe are paying anything up to £3,000 for a week on a swish cruiser. Whenever I'm afloat, I notice it's the more expensive boats that are first off the blocks. So these possible first timers eyes light up when they take over their boats. Think Fair Statesman, Broadsman, Commander, Arabella. Unfortunately, it goes downhill from there because they can't find a mooring in the school holidays, unless they tie up between 2 and 3pm. The Broads infrastructure has not kept up with the level of luxury available on many of the cruisers.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1