Bed Bugs

Andrewcook

Yes, I would say you can get them from a boat.

The reports from France I read suggested they were caught from seats in a theatre.

The term "bed" bug suggests they are only caught from beds - it can in fact be any furniture or similar place, where they can disappear until it is dark, then come out and feed off you.

My advice - In any hotel etc where you might stay, when you get there carefully examine the mattress and bedding in particular, for evidence of bed bugs before you put your stuff down or go to sleep.

• Like 3

Absolutely, fleas on a boat would certainly be a nightmare. Dogs will be given the anti-flea treated tomorrow, as we are afloat the day after. Pozzick is due his annual vaccination too. Can’t believe we've now had him for a year. Where did that year go?

He’s now very settled with us and has indeed, as someone commented early on (Smoggy?), turned into a very ‘comfy’ dog. Seren still tries to boss him round, but he takes everything in his stride. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Wussername said:

The flea. Nasty little critter. Are you sure, absolutely sure, your dog does not have fleas. 

A boatyards nightmare, fleas on a boat. 

Rarely happends, however it has been known. Also, caravans, buses, hotels.

Pass me the histamine cream darling!

You must have a really wealthy dog if it's got hotels, caravans and buses as well as fleas

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, YnysMon said:

Pozzick is due his annual vaccination too. Can’t believe we've now had him for a year. Where did that year go?

I had a double take at that Helen. He seems to have been with you far longer than that. 
Enjoy your hols. 

17 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

You must have a really wealthy dog if it's got hotels, caravans and buses as well as fleas

Not my dog MM. Them others. 

Have you got a dog? Me old mate, me old mucker. Can't beat an old wet labrador on a boat. Homely, that is the word I'm looking for. They add to that overall ambience of living on a boat or indeed the lounge, sitting room in your humble abode as it gently snores and flatulates in front of your fireside or wood burner on a winters night.

• Haha 4

20 minutes ago, Wussername said:

They add to that overall ambience of living on a boat or indeed the lounge, sitting room in your humble abode as it gently snores and flatulates in front of your fireside or wood burner on a winters night.

Err, you had me there…idyllic doggy scene until you got to the flatulates bit. :facepalm:

Accurate though. :facepalm::facepalm:

• Like 1

Bed bugs on boats are caused by mice, they climb/run up the mooring ropes, a easy check is to leave a small bar of kit Kat under a seat, then check to see if the foil gets nibbled. Very difficult to catch/trap as you need to check the trap very couple of days. John

15 hours ago, Wussername said:

Not my dog MM. Them others. 

Have you got a dog? Me old mate, me old mucker. 

Ahh, a question still requiring an answer. Should I be ruled by my head or my heart.

If I do get one, it will be a whippet based lurcher and a rescue one at that.

Age immaterial,  gender also immaterial.  Nothing from a breeder and not from anyone wanting to make a profit. 

I have no doubt that I won't find the dog, the dog will find me.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, annv said:

Bed bugs on boats are caused by mice, they climb/run up the mooring ropes, a easy check is to leave a small bar of kit Kat under a seat, then check to see if the foil gets nibbled. Very difficult to catch/trap as you need to check the trap very couple of days. John

Is that mice or rats ?

52 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Ahh, a question still requiring an answer. Should I be ruled by my head or my heart.

If I do get one, it will be a whippet based lurcher and a rescue one at that.

Age immaterial,  gender also immaterial.  Nothing from a breeder and not from anyone wanting to make a profit. 

There's always greyhound looking to be rehomed and they have the advantage of being very lazy once they've had a short burst of exercise.

4 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

.Age immaterial,  gender also immaterial.  Nothing from a breeder and not from anyone wanting to make a profit. 

Or, you might find yourself cruising along long one day, minding you own business, and come across a dog that needs rescuing. You never know on the Broads.

Not that we have any regrets, much the opposite. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Not had bed bugs on the boat but we did have an infestation of ants once, which were hard to get rid of, and on one occasion a swarm of wasps tried to build a nest on one of my grab rails. Nothing there at 9am when I cleaned the boat, but a 6 inch diameter nest centred round the rail by 11.30.