Horning Post Office

Hylander

Joking aside, and I guess a lot depends on how much the current postpeople are asking for the business element (note that the premises are leased)......this could well be an attractive opportunity for someone?....particularly if the shop comes with accommodation?

• Like 1

I lived on the bottom of Mill Hill in the early 80s. One of my friend's parents ran the post office, but disposed of it as, even back then, it wasn't very viable commercially (they took Tidings on instead).

Unfortunately, it's an unavoidable fact that we use post offices less and less and it's an increasingly small number of older people who rely upon it. You've also got Ludham and Hoveton post offices in close proximity either side. Counters don't need big glass barriers these days so, if there is a significant need for the local population, it could probably be accommodated with a small counter in Tidings.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, dom said:

I lived on the bottom of Mill Hill in the early 80s. One of my friend's parents ran the post office, but disposed of it as, even back then, it wasn't very viable commercially (they took Tidings on instead).

Unfortunately, it's an unavoidable fact that we use post offices less and less and it's an increasingly small number of older people who rely upon it. You've also got Ludham and Hoveton post offices in close proximity either side. Counters don't need big glass barriers these days so, if there is a significant need for the local population, it could probably be accommodated with a small counter in Tidings.

You may well be correct dom, but there are thousands of sub post masters in the UK who make a living and provide a valuable service to their community. And I would have thought it is a somewhat more attractive proposition than taking on one of the struggling Broadland pubs that have been discussed here recently?

Also discussed recently has been the lack of opportunities for young locals which is driving them away from where they were brought up. 

Just saying.........

• Like 1

Our local sub post office used to be at the back of the shop as a separate section with full glass screens etc. Now, same shop, it's part of the till area with partial glass screens so that staff can multi task.

I wonder how they make anything from parcels which I can pay for online cheaper, then take there for them to print the label and keep it for collection? They take Evri parcels now too in understand.

They can't be making a fortune but fair play to them for making a living and giving experience to youngsters.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bucket said:

You may well be correct dom, but there are thousands of sub post masters in the UK who make a living

Are they though? The one in my village is teetering on the brink of closure. The one in a neighbouring village has closed. Seemingly the only way they can survive is combining postal services with a wide range of other goods. Even Hoveton has suffered this fate. The Post Office used to be on the precinct corner opposite Hotel Wroxham. It's had to move into the supermarket to survive. Wroxham post office is long, long gone, as are Coltishall, Scottow, Tunstead, etc.

I'd concur with your views about employment, etc though. I'd ardently oppose it being converted into another holiday let or permanent housing. Someone needs to find an inventive use. Hair and beauty seems to be thriving now post-pandemic. I can't think of anything along those lines in Horning and there's plenty of wealthy potential customers? The shop next door used to be a butchers (another school mate did an apprenticeship there) and was most recently a flight-sim business, which I think has failed. Not sure if it's still vacant, but the two premises together could make a nice barber and hairdresser, or hairdresser and nail bar? My village is probably comparable size, but sustains a hairdresser, barber and nail bar. The barber drives a Porsche, so they're obviously not facing bankruptcy any time soon!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bluebell said:

How about the PO moving into the pub? Maybe the two struggling types of businesses could share the overheads and make a go of it…😎

1 hour ago, eddybear said:

Naughty but clever :default_biggrin:

I've just noticed, and I may be the only one, but are you two twins? I'm looking at your pics above.

14 hours ago, rightsaidfred said:

Living in London I would say my local  Post Office only survives from locals selling on ebay etc. With so much on line these days and the cost the old trade in postal services is long gone.

Fred

As all of our banks have now high tailed it to the hills here in Beccles, my local post office is a boon , I can get cash, pay in cheques as well as the usual post officy things like stamps etc.     

• Like 3

Our post office is   excellent, Along side the post office they sell all manner of stationary items , greetings cards and small gifts, bric -a - brac etc. At Christmas they will offer to put the stamps you have just bought  on the pile of Christmas cards  they see you carrying. It recently changed hands after the postmistress died of covid  during the   epidemic. The previous incumbents were also very good.

Carole

• Like 4
  • Love 1

• 2 months later...

https://www.northnorfolknews.co.uk/news/24249289.official-date-announced-closure-horning-post-office/?ref=eb&nid=2399&block=article_block_a&u=c160d74be8c30ff96c1e228a4a7f5f71&date=130424

This must be such a blow to the local population.  I know with the Banks all closing their branches The Post Office has been vital to us.  

• Sad 1

Unsurprisingly, Duncan Baker is now involved, trying to get the Post Office to pass the franchise(?) over to Tidings. I'd be very surprised if they raised any objections. Seems a logical outcome, retaining services in the village.

• Like 1

Just wonder how many holidaymakers have actually used the PO facilities in Horning - indeed how many posters here use it regularly?

Probably says it all really. Ours is part of a general store and actually has a free cash machine too - but I doubt it makes money as a stand alone business.

I would imagine as where we live,  paying in cheques,  getting cash (some of us are not keen on cash points) is vital to a lot of elderly folk.   The shop that is attached is also a godsend. This will be a great loss. 

• Like 3

When I go on the Norfolk Broads I always pop in to the Horning Post Office Store for things but this IT Scandal of the Century now the Postal Stamps added to the problem. I hope all these problems will be sorted out sooner or later for people to Trust the Post Office and the Public to visit and support their business again. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Andrewcook said:

When I go on the Norfolk Broads I always pop in to the Horning Post Office Store for things but this IT Scandal of the Century now the Postal Stamps added to the problem. I hope all these problems will be sorted out sooner or later for people to Trust the Post Office and the Public to visit and support their business again. 

Well said.

• Like 1

I think a lot of the older residents of Horning rely on the PO - with all the banks going in Hoveton it is the only place to withdrawn cash locally (apart from Wroxham PO that is).

I also have found it very useful in Horning when staying there but here is a point - when the Sailing Club would only accept cash, I would run out of cash during Horning Week - now they have a card reader and the need for cash is eliminated.

However, I do still use my local post offices (note plural) to post parcels (selling stuff on eBay) but it is cheaper to buy on line and drop it off.  There is a need for Post Offices but their roles are changing.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, marshman said:

Just wonder how many holidaymakers have actually used the PO facilities in Horning - indeed how many posters here use it regularly?

I'd happily use it during our visits but I can never get moored up on Horning!