Anti Social Behaviour

Mouldy

3 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

Fellow owners on Moonlight Shadow were given the same treatment at the same place by the same anglers last week.  They decided not to moor, but to move off to avoid further confrontation.

I can assure you, as a member of the Syndicate Management Team, that Moonlight Shadow is tolled, therefore has every right to be on the river.

I'd absolutely stand with them in that case - shame they didn't catch that incident on video.

There are significant differences in this case though.

10 minutes ago, kpnut said:

But the parish council should be informed of an incident on their property. Doesn’t matter if between boaters and anglers / dog walkers and anglers / two people having a fight or anything else. 

I'm surprised a couple of the locals didn't show up - especially the notorious lady or Jed Stone.

2 minutes ago, kpnut said:

But the parish council should be informed of an incident on their property. Doesn’t matter if between boaters and anglers / dog walkers and anglers / two people having a fight or anything else. 

I fully agree and preferably by anyone on the receiving end of such action, with any supporting evidence they have, or are kindly supplied with by onlookers.

It's the posting to social media to garner support from Mr and Mrs Indignant of The Norfolk Broads that I question.

A few years back the same person did their best to drive a wedge between hire boaters and privateers with his constant posts and videos of being hit by hire boats, mainly at Sutton, conveniently forgetting that he made himself more of a target as a result of his frequent overstaying on the moorings. 

• Like 1

That's usually the case - one of the local day boat hire places was using the countdown to the close season as a marketing tactic the other day. Knowing a few fishing obsessives, it seems like the close season is akin to quitting smoking or drinking for some.

• Like 2

Whatever the reasons or agenda for posting the video those men were threatening and abusive, that behaviour is disgusting. I don't know the law but surely they should be arrested, fined and banned from fishing for life

What happened to Kate is disgusting too and from a teenage girl. We fish regularly with the boys, if they behaved towards people in this way they would be in so very much trouble with me. They are being raised to have respect for others and the environment around them so hopefully we won't have that problem. Unfortunately, people like these two men have neither respect or care for anyone but themselves x

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

We were out a couple of weeks ago and were certainly struck by the apparent intensity of fishing - just wonder if they are trying to cram as much in before 15th? 

I’m guessing, as a non angler, that they may have been pike fishing.  Most anglers (I believe) don’t fish for pike again until the autumn, following the end of the current season next week.

As for any suggestion that the video was selective in its content, showing only the actual confrontation, I would suggest that the careful placement of the fishing gear in the centre of the Staithe was purely to prevent any boats fro mooring.  Fishing from either end of the available space would have left adequate room for someone to moor.  Their intent, in my opinion, is obvious.

Furthermore, I wonder whether they would have shown such aggression to a party of four or five ex squaddies who wished to moor there.  Their behaviour was more in line with what we mistakenly assume to be that of football supporters, not folk engaged in angling.

There can be no excuse to threaten to throw a solo boater in the water, or for the torrent of profanity heard in this video.

If I’m lucky enough to find a space there through the summer and after the beginning of the fishing season, I will ensure that I have either my phone, or a video camera to hand, should a similar situation arise.

• Like 5

I remember a few years back when we tried to moor on the island at Salhouse, there were several anglers from a boat set up right on the end where there was room for us to moor Broadland Mars. We asked politely if they could move up around the corner a tad and was told if I whipped my top off it wouldn't be a problem. We moved on

Please remember though, not all anglers are like these people, some are friendly and helpful too x

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Gracie said:

Whatever the reasons or agenda for posting the video those men were threatening and abusive, that behaviour is disgusting. 

I fully agree, but we must remember we are only being shown, what someone wants us to see!

The innocent boater coming in to moor, is the same person who filmed three innocent BA employee's going about their paid work, turning off and covering over an electric post at Sutton Staithe. He then posted a 5 minute video on Youtube of the three BA employees. They had the patience of a saint on that day. 

There is more to this latest sorry saga than we are being shown. 

Believe none of what you read and only half of what you see!

• Like 5

I totally agree MT. I understand the reasons posting a video to cause uproar etc but at the end of the day no one has a right to threaten or abuse anyone. The boater should be held responsible for his actions too. I honestly do not understand people just wanting to cause trouble for the sake of it. Why we can't just all live in peace doing the things we love to do on the rivers is beyond me :facepalm:x

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Meantime said:

I fully agree, but we must remember we are only being shown, what someone wants us to see!

The innocent boater coming in to moor, is the same person who filmed three innocent BA employee's going about their paid work, turning off and covering over an electric post at Sutton Staithe. He then posted a 5 minute video on Youtube of the three BA employees. They had the patience of a saint on that day. 

So, what about the couple on board Moonlight Shadow, who tried to moor at the same Staithe and suffered the same thuggish reaction?  Are we saying that they should be categorised as the individual on the Freeman?  Frankly, I think not.

I know the people personally and have no doubt as to their integrity.  The behaviour of these ‘anglers’ is unacceptable.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

So, what about the couple on board Moonlight Shadow, who tried to moor at the same Staithe and suffered the same thuggish reaction?  Are we saying that they should be categorised as the individual on the Freeman?  Frankly, I think not.

I know the people personally and have no doubt as to their integrity.  The behaviour of these ‘anglers’ is unacceptable.

I am not standing up for the actions of the anglers, or doubting the account of the people onboard Moonlight Shadow.

At no point have I even mentioned them, I don't even know them.

On the other hand as much as I wouldn't like to meet those two anglers, I'd like to meet that particular boater even less! 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Meantime said:

8 minutes ago, Meantime said:

I am not standing up for the actions of the anglers, or doubting the account of the people onboard Moonlight Shadow.

At no point have I even mentioned them, I don't even know them.

On the other hand as much as I wouldn't like to meet those two anglers, I'd like to meet that particular boater even less! 

Your earlier post (to me) intimates that the situation was potentially to do with the owner of the Freeman - ‘there is more to this sorry saga than we are being shown.’

I agree that you didn’t mention the owners aboard Moonlight Shadow, but their experience closely matches the situation in the video and they have also stated that the anglers in the video were the same ones that dissuaded them from mooring, due to similarly intimidatory tactics.

I wonder how many more passing boaters have been spoken to in this manner.  There can be no doubt that these guys have their own agenda, with regard to the moorings and are not interested in sharing the space with anyone else.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

Do you have anything at all to substantiate that these are the same anglers?

The boat owner has been charged with abusive/threatening behaviour towards BA staff recently. It's no issue to mention this, as he posted the charge sheet himself, as some sort of apparent brag.

To me, the fishermen look like a couple of old boys who are unlikely to go looking for a confrontation - and, more than likely have been told to f'ing move or similar and unfortunately now put themselves at risk of similar charges.

Have you honestly never got into a similar confrontation in the pub, on the road, or similar?

1 minute ago, Mouldy said:

Your earlier post (to me) intimates that the situation was potentially to do with the owner of the Freeman - ‘there is more to this sorry saga than we are being show.’

I agree that you didn’t mention the owners aboard Moonlight Shadow, but their experience closely matches the situation in the video and they have also stated that the anglers in the video were the same ones that dissuaded them from mooring, due to similarly intimidatory tactics.

I wonder how many more passing boaters have been spoken to in this manner.  There can be no doubt that these guys have their own agenda, with regard to the moorings and are not interested in sharing the space with anyone else.

Let me make myself 100% clear. I am only talking about and discussing the incident shown in the video posted at the start of this thread, not any other boater / fishermen incident. I am talking about this specific incident. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dom said:

Do you have anything at all to substantiate that these are the same anglers?

The boat owner has been charged with abusive/threatening behaviour towards BA staff recently. It's no issue to mention this, as he posted the charge sheet himself, as some sort of apparent brag.

To me, the fishermen look like a couple of old boys who are unlikely to go looking for a confrontation - and, more than likely have been told to f'ing move or similar and unfortunately now put themselves at risk of similar charges.

Have you honestly never got into a similar confrontation in the pub, on the road, or similar?

The owners on board Moonlight Shadow have identified the anglers as the same ones on the video.  Their approach and language were the same.

They might be pleasant old boys to you, but the approach and threatening behaviour towards a couple in their sixties, is unnecessary.

• Like 4

but as outsiders not knowing the particular boaters involved and their apparent previous behaviour 99% of people will still say that the anglers behaviour was not justified, since only a select few seem to know those involved and considering the name and shame policy of this forums TOS may I suggest we calm down and  just agree that social media is not the place to expect action to stop this type of behaviour.

it has been intimated that those involved are setting themselves above the law to resolve this- but the truth is that most of the people watching this vide wont know that. So lets not get into any arguments here as by all reports that is exactly the sort of thing the people who posted this to youtube thrive upon.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Before we get into a he said , she said argument on here , irrespective of any prior history involving the anglers or the boat owner , the behaviour of the anglers as shown on the video falls far short of what one would or should expect .

As our Chairman has politely requested please can we stay inside the TOS when posting on this matter 

edited  to add , my posting obviously crossed over that of Grendels and I share his sentiments 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dom said:

Surprisingly - No.        There seems to be an agenda here and I am not happy with it.     The OP showed behaviour by thank goodness a very few fisherman.   I am married to a fisherman and there is no way he would behave like that.     Most fishermen (and I mean all genders) are decent people, salt of the earth, go to ends to help people , they do not behave like this lot.      I think a cage would be the best place for them.      Thank goodness the fishing season is about to end.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, dom said:

There's clearly much more going on than just what's shown. Why is he filming in the first place? Suggests to me that there has already been a confrontation of some sort. I suspect that rather than "sorry mate, I just need to moor for 5 mins to empty my bins" the Freeman owner probably barked orders at them.

This sounds like a trial without a jury to me :default_eusa_naughty:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dom said:

I know a lot about two of the individuals involved.

There are another two individuals that have been subject to the same abuse, about whom I suspect no have no knowledge at all.

Once again, this incident that was recorded is not an isolated one.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

There are another two individuals that have been subject to the same abuse, about whom I suspect no have no knowledge at all.

See 1st post on this page.

• Like 1