Early Start To The New Season

Mouldy

Just seen this on the BA website, stating that their yacht stations will be manned from 24th March.  I guess that means that the mooring fees will be reintroduced a little earlier than expected at Ranworth, which may cause a few people to get caught out, thinking that they will be applicable from the beginning of April.

https://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/boating/facilities/yacht-stations

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

Just seen this on the BA website, stating that their yacht stations will be manned from 24th March.  I guess that means that the mooring fees will be reintroduced a little earlier than expected at Ranworth, which may cause a few people to get caught out, thinking that they will be applicable from the beginning of April.

Yet on that link further down it clearly states the following :default_eusa_naughty:

Day mooring £5. Overnight mooring until 10.00am the next day £10. Powered boat use of dinghy dyke £3. All charges only apply in the main season from April to October.

A PDF print out of the page has been created and saved should anyone have the need to use it as supporting evidence!

It has the update at the top and the times of moorings fees being collected further down.

Being staffed does not necessarily mean being chargeable.

I note elsewhere on the page it states Ranworth is staffed from 9am to 6pm during the Summer months, which depending on your definition is the 1st June to the 1st September, or 21st June to 21st September.

Yacht stations and staffed moorings.pdf

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

That's a recent change as I checked a few days ago and at that point the opening date was 30th March. 

Probably just the BA coming out of Winter hibernation and suddenly realising that Easter is quite early this year. Not like the dates can be worked out well in advance:facepalm: So a rushed update to the website. Will be interesting to see how eager the troops are to collect the mooring fee though.

• Like 1

On 13/03/2024 at 11:26, Meantime said:

A PDF print out of the page has been created and saved should anyone have the need to use it as supporting evidence!

It has the update at the top and the times of moorings fees being collected further down.

Being staffed does not necessarily mean being chargeable.

I note elsewhere on the page it states Ranworth is staffed from 9am to 6pm during the Summer months, which depending on your definition is the 1st June to the 1st September, or 21st June to 21st September.

Yacht stations and staffed moorings.pdf 397.86 kB · 23 downloads

Thank You. I have printed this off and will take it with me as we planned to make the most of Ranworth next week, having not gone there last year on principle.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/03/2024 at 14:17, BroadsAuthority said:

Hi there,

Just to clarify, although the 'season' will start early this year on 23 March, the mooring charges at Ranworth will not apply before 1 April this year (as per the website).

Best

Tom

@BroadsAuthority

considering the statement posted here, why has one of our members reported being charged £16 at Ranworth Today- 31/03/24, 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, grendel said:

@BroadsAuthority

considering the statement posted here, why has one of our members reported being charged £16 at Ranworth Today- 31/03/24, 

That's not good, I wonder how many others have been incorrectly charged!

I was there Saturday night, Rangers were there but no mention of charging.

• Like 2

nope, I heard it direct from a forum member (elsewhere, so not naming anyone here).

to me it sounds like the quay attendants (or at least one of them) did not read the memo and have been charging boaters, which was why I asked the question.

the least I would expect to hear is an apology and a refund sent out to all who were charged, as its this type of action that brings the Broads Authority into disrepute.

• Like 3

On 13/03/2024 at 11:07, Mouldy said:

We stopped at Ranworth last week but mooring charges were not being levied. I was amazed to find there were 3 people sitting in the BA office with door locked, so I couldn't get the electric cards I needed. There were 2 more outside wearing lifejackets and jackets saying 'National Park'.  2 rangers standing on the bank with their boat moored in the cut.

Total 7 standing and sitting around doing nothing. Meanwhile a section of the front mooring on the green was taped and fenced off as the path had subsided a bit, behind the heading. However no work was going on, even though Easter was looming in a couple of days!.

Yet here am I with a Toll bill to pay of £738.80 to finance that lot doing nothing.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, PaulN said:

Total 7 standing and sitting around doing nothing.

Playing devil's advocate, they could be new staff undergoing training. BA recruited new staff at Ranworth recently and you have to undergo "Working near water" training before you can start this type of work these days. I'd hope they undergo some sort of first aid and critical incident response training too.

I've queried the repair on the quay heading recently and it was suggested water height might have been an obstacle preventing progress. Whether that's genuinely been the case since last autumn is debatable. It's apparent they have some real funding issues, so I wonder if it's to push the expense into next financial year, which presumably starts now.

• Like 2

Just now, dom said:

Playing devil's advocate, they could be new staff undergoing training. BA recruited new staff at Ranworth recently and you have to undergo "Working near water" training before you can start this type of work these days. I'd hope they undergo some sort of first aid and critical incident response training too.

I've queried the repair on the quay heading recently and it was suggested water height might have been an obstacle preventing progress. Whether that's genuinely been the case since last autumn is debatable. It's apparent they have some real funding issues, so I wonder if it's to push the expense into next financial year, which presumably starts now.

One would have thought staff training would be at Yare House. From the laid back posture there was no trainer nor training present at the Ranworth BA shop. 

No water height problem for the last 3 weeks and from another topic on this forum recently posted by Simon aka Cambridge Cabby the quay is now full except for the section still fenced off!

I think you are being a bit too kind to our money grabbing Quango.

9 minutes ago, PaulN said:

I think you are being a bit too kind to our money grabbing Quango.

That's probably the first and last time anyone'll say that about me :default_biggrin:

It does seem odd allowing the quay situation to progress for so long, as it'll be a nightmare to try and work round boats in season. There have been some fairly explicit statements made about their not being able to afford running repairs elsewhere, so I do wonder just how bad their financial situation is.

• Like 1

I’m not so sure.

33 minutes ago, PaulN said:

No water height problem for the last 3 weeks

Okay, the floods seem to have gone down, but in my estimation over the last fortnight the water levels were still relatively high, going by the gap under Ludham Bridge and the air draft that we had under other bridges.

11 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Okay, the floods seem to have gone down, but in my estimation over the last fortnight the water levels were still relatively high, going by the gap under Ludham Bridge and the air draft that we had under other bridges.

Wroxham seems to be struggling to get above 6'3" at the moment. Currently not much over 6'. For me, the stretch above Wroxham is the best bit of the Broads (I may be biased having grown up playing down at Caen Meadow). It's a bit disconcerting to think of Wroxham bridge becoming as restrictive as Potter, so I hope things start changing dramatically in the near future and it's not something more serious causing problems.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, YnysMon said:

We need some high pressure to push the water down.