Ageing ( And Boats )

I have noticed comments recently from some of those who have had to give up boating as they have aged and thought I would add my own two pennyworth! Ageing takes no prisoners and is one of those things that creeps up on you without a lot of notice, and then bam, it suddenly hits you!

After many decades of owning/sharing several different boats in different waters, I have finally had to accept I was no longer able to do what I once did  in cleaning and maintaining a boat, so it finally had to go last summer. Part of the incentive went, and additionally I realised (perhaps belatedly) I had become a danger to myself afloat so I had to accept the inevitable! 

I thought it would be really hard after nearly 7 decades,  but I believe we all know when you have to do these things and concentrate on more solid ground and rest those bits  that now ache so much more - I certainly don't miss having to make decisions either. Sadly your brain changes too and decisions become harder even over the silliest of things. On reflection I don't really miss the boat either, surprisingly, as I now spend more time worrying about nothing in particular and pfaffing around over not a lot.

I do not wish to appear to be complaining though - indeed having had more time afloat than many others, I consider I am very very lucky and so grateful for all those opportunities and  good times over the years.

So all thats left are those memories, and oh, the tender on my front lawn which is going up for sale elsewhere on the site! But it was a very excellent hobby and I enjoyed it all so much at the time!!

And now you lot help keep those memories alive! Thank you.

• Like 26
  • Love 3

Your words could be describing me, now. And I am sure a number of other past and present subscribers to this forum.

• Like 6

Not there yet, but can see it coming. One thing I enjoy even now is my model yacht, which lives on the real one. Some days I'll just go down and sail that, and it really is a great de-stress. Maybe something retiring sailors could consider ?

• Like 5

I took feel the same as Marshman as age does catch up with us all I my self now back in Hospital been Intensive care now out on the main ward  as to getting fit once and I'm looking forward to going around the Broads No Boating in September 

• Like 7
  • Love 1

What a lovely post MM, it brought a lump to my throat

I'm so pleased you have lots of years of memories, you must have had some adventures over the years. 

How lovely it would be if some of you who have been boating for decades would start a blog of your adventures afloat, what brilliant reading that would be.

As you know my dad can no longer helm a boat, even getting on and off would be impossible for him now but I am going to make damn sure he still has some adventures to look forward to even though it may be on land

Andrew, I so wish you well and a speedy recovery

Grace x

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, Bikertov said:

Me too - does that mean I am old :default_icon_e_surprised:

Probably not.   But when you get to my age you'll know for sure! :default_rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

We whizzed down The Mon and Brec earlier this year and things have changed. Normally Ole Marge would have nipped ahead on a jet ski and sorted the locks for us. Now quite daunting and so grateful to those volunteering lock keepers. Many thanks to them as me scaling a ladder is becoming a very formidable thought. I would do it to the best of my ability but carrying a bouquet of roses and a bottle of champagne is probably out of sight nowadays 

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Love 1

There is one issue with regard to Old Boaters.(OB'S) They don't look old. Cantankerous old curmudgeons who haunt our rivers. Beware.

They lurk by the river side. Gravitate to the mooring of the boat. 

"Back a bit, no forwards, forwards, FORWARDS"

What a cock up. Did you have a trial run mate?

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I have to say that on this forum there is a bit of come and thrust.

Nothing wrong in that. We disagree. Nothing wrong in constructive criticism.

I cannot believe that I am sometimes criticised. Proved wrong.

I am of an age, 

Please forgive me.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, ZimbiIV said:

Getting older is not that much fun

BUT

the alternative to getting old does not appeal either.

I am sick of the grand kids telling me to grow up and act my age and not my IQ.

paul

The body ages the mind matures, while the body tells us what we can't do anymore the mind tells us to enjoy what we can, forget the numbers remember the experience.

Fred

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ZimbiIV said:

Getting older is not that much fun

BUT

the alternative to getting old does not appeal either.

I am sick of the grand kids telling me to grow up and act my age and not my IQ.

paul

I'd rather act my IQ, imagine being 20 again....

Could carry on making a complete tw*t of myself without all the creaking and moaning.

The most upsetting bit was when autocorrect tried to change creaking to cremation while making this post, I'm only 55 ffs!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

8 hours ago, ZimbiIV said:

. . . . . . . . . . I am sick of the grand kids telling me to grow up and act my age and not my IQ.

I don’t know how to act my age . . . . . . . . . . . . I’ve never been this old before! :default_wink:

• Like 3
  • Haha 8