Pleasure Boat Inn Hickling

I know when I was at Hickling sailing club next door for the 3 Rivers Race they were completely reroofing the buildings and giving many of the trees a heavy pruning?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

I can't see 'B.A' or any of her crew visiting anytime soon as much as we would dearly love to.  Not unless the Lower Bure and its hump are cleared out thereby giving us a fighting chance at PHB

Griff

its only a 5 minute drive from the wet shed though at the start or end of a trip

• Like 2

I think a Boat would be great with the Thirsty Crew going and getting back to Boat safety, then Driving the Car. As the Pleasure Boat has come back to life once again the Food will be Menu I will pop in thier in September for a Shandy 

• Like 2

Bridge heights at PH have been looking better this last week. We made it to White Slee moorings just outside Hickling, would have liked to have got to Catfield. 6’3-4 at most lows at PH, recently. It’s been a funny week with the tide state, with some higher highs, and lower lows. We would have made West Somerton, if it wasn’t for the amount of weed growth stopping us, having to turn back at dungeon. Didn’t realise the P/Boat at Hickling was reopening? 
it surely is much more of a challenge to get to this area by boat, more so now that we no longer have the access to a boat  on the” Otherside” of “that bridge”, which is a whole heap of stories in waiting, for so many reasons, that could well be a whole new thread on it’s own! 🤔. So we have to go with what we have to use for this area, as when and we’re able to get through PH bridge, where once you’re though, it really opens up a different perspective of the broads. Just remember, you need to get back 😜. Really worth the trip no matter how you do it. There are quite a number of ways to explore this area, from boat trips, hire on both sides of PH, and via road. 
Cheers 

Paul 

• Like 2

its only a 5 minute drive from the wet shed though at the start or end of a trip

I have driven it before now and it's more than five mins

The thing is with me, when I'm afloat on the rivers I like to go everywhere by boat.  I'm not into taxis / cars / buses / motorbikes etc etc to get to and from venues.  I come to the Broads to be on the water and that's it.  If I wanted a break / holiday travelling around water then I'd drive to the lake district

'B.A' and her class was designed / built to pass through PHB at normal low water levels

Driving to a pub to have a shandy or soft drink - Hmmmmm don't need to give that one much thought

Griff

• Like 8

2 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

'B.A' and her class was designed / built to pass through PHB at normal low water levels

As were many other boats too and some for very good reasons, but that will not help with the issues faced with today’s water levels. So in the unlikely event that PH bridge heights suddenly change, and levels permit, for now alternative Travel modes to this area, may likely need to be considered?
We have been lucky over so many years to have our unlimited access/holidays on the broads, this has been more important to me over the last few years, however we have also found that just sometimes, venturing away from the boat has allowed us to see just how much the rest of Norfolk has too offer, even if it is just for a day or two. 😊
Cheers 

Paul

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

The thing is with me, when I'm afloat on the rivers I like to go everywhere by boat.  I'm not into taxis / cars / buses / motorbikes etc etc to get to and from venues

I'm exactly the same. Away from the Broads I enjoy driving but when boating I like to stay in our boating world, separate to the real world and that means leaving the car at the boatyard until it's time to go home. When moored and I walk along a road it's almost afront to the senses to be aware of the traffic. I get the same feelings when I'm in Tesco at Stalham or Latham's - it's a bump back down to the real world.

• Like 5

Broads01, I share your admiration for Boating on the Broads. I do miss it, though. but I will be in a Caravan for a week in September by Road worse luck. Is The Innasure Inn Dog Friendly? Enjoy this warm Summer on the River while you are Chugging along

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Andrewcook said:

Broads01, I share your admiration for Boating on the Broads. I do miss it, though. but I will be in a Caravan for a week in September by Road worse luck. Is The Innasure Inn Dog Friendly? Enjoy this warm Summer on the River while you are Chugging along

Andrew, I will find out for you before September comes, wild dogs wouldn’t stop me!

10 hours ago, Andrewcook said:

The Pleasure Boat is dog friendly.

• Like 2

I’ve just left Stalham by boat having dropped my friend off up there at lunchtime. I KNEW there was something I’d intended to do while on my home mooring. I’d intended a drive round to Hickling to go see. Hopefully I’ll remember on Thursday instead. 

A couple of years ago me and the wife hired a house boat from Simpsons to get us 'back on the water'.  We found the pub at Hickling when it had the large outside awning as a bar.  Went there a few times (wife driving :default_winko:) and quite enjoyed it. 

5 hours ago, Happy said:

A couple of years ago me and the wife hired a house boat from Simpsons to get us 'back on the water'. 

My daughter and I hired a Simpsons houseboat (well it was Richardsons or Moonfleet then, can’t remember which) in 2017. It completely sold me on getting a hireboat the following year. That ended up being 3 times that year with different sets of friends, in fact virtually anyone I could persuade to give it a go, and the rest is history as they say. I’d already decided buying a boat was a ‘must’ by the Sutton junction out of Stalham on that first trip. 

• Like 3